Help beginning Gregorio
  • nun_34nun_34
    The computer at which I do liturgy work is not connected to the internet. Would anyone know how (if it is possible) to install Gregorio, and the other programs Gregorio requires, on such a machine? (OS = MS Windows) For instance, I downloaded the TexLive installer like the Gregorio site says to do, and brought it to the other computer, but could not actually run the installer without internet access.

Gregorio seems such a useful program for transcribing chant, and I would like to learn and use it!
  • chonakchonak
    Might it be possible to connect the computer to the net temporarily?
  • nun_34nun_34
    Thank you for the suggestion, but my attempt to do so failed.
    [unnecessary technical information deleted] C'est la vie.
  • chonakchonak
    Is the machine new enough to have the ability to boot from a USB memory stick?

If so, you could install Linux on a memory stick, using the connected machine; add Gregorio and its prerequisites, install whatever printer software would be needed, and then take the stick to the isolated machine and boot it there.

Of course this would involve some extra learning or coaching, but if you're ready to install Gregorio locally, you're already showing a determination to take on that sort of thing.

For more ideas, you could join the "gregorio-users" mailing list and ask there.

Thanked by 1nun_34
  • nun_34nun_34
    Thank you, much obliged!
  • benstoxbenstox
    Are you able to try what it says in this thread: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/105648/offline-installation-how-do-i-install-a-full-tex-distribution-on-an-offline-com? If you are able to download 2.3 gigs on another machine and either burn a DVD there or save the .iso on a USB drive and mount it on your liturgy work machine (with a program like Daemon Tools Lite), then you should be able to do an offline install of TexLive all in Windows. I haven't tried this method but it sounds promising. After that, to set up gregorio itself I don't think you will need an internet connection.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen nun_34