Readings for votive masses?
  • Siena1347
    Hey all,

I'm trying to locate the responsorial psalms for two votive masses in the OF: "The Mercy of God" and "Saint John the Baptist"

Thanks in advance!
  • Siena1347
    (Bump)

Anyone have these? They aren't in my resources :'(
  • The Roman Missal lists some of the votive parts, but no readings or responsorial psalms for these masses. Does that mean the usual readings & psalm occur, meaning the readings already assigned to that day?
    Thanked by 1Siena1347
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    The rubrics for votive Masses may be helpful:

If some serious pastoral benefit is to be gained, an appropriately corresponding Votive Mass may be used, [N.B.] at the direction of the Ordinary, or with his permission, except on Solemnities, on the Sundays of Advent, Lent, and Easter, on days within the Octave of Easter, on the commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls' Day), on Ash Wednesday, and on weekdays of Holy Week.

Votive Masses are in principle forbidden on days on which there occurs and Obligatory Memorial, on a weekday of Advent up to and including December 16, on a weekday of Christmas Time from January 2, or on a weekday of Easter Time after the Octave of Easter. However, for pastoral reasons, as determined by the rector of the church or the Priest Celebrant himself, an appropriately corresponding Votive Mass may be used in celebration of Mass with the people.

On weekdays in Ordinary Time, even if an optional Memorial occurs, a Votive Mass may be chosen by the priest celebrant for the sake of the devotion of the faithful. (RM, pg. 1326)

What I take this to mean is that Votive Masses should be used discretely and for well-reasoned pastoral purposes (with the permission of the Ordinary), and that in most cases the Calendar takes precedence over the use of Votive Masses. If the Lectionary does not provide a corresponding set of optional readings (see the links kindly provided by Liam, above), then the readings of the day should be used.
    Thanked by 2Siena1347 CHGiffen
  • Siena1347
    Liam, it doesn't say they are local.

Continuousbass, I don't think that is necessarily the case, because other masses in the Roman Missal have specified readings even though the missal doesn't list them.

P.S. I forgot to mention, the Mercy of God is votive mass # 2, SJTB is # 12.

• Liam
    The US Lectionary does not include proper lections for the newer votives in the Missal such as those two (the link I provided earlier is to the current Lectionary propers for votives et al.). And won't for a while, as it's not being actively revised yet.
    Thanked by 1Siena1347
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Where the Missal gives only the collects and antiphons proper to the Mass, but makes no mention of optional readings I would use the readings of the day by default.

Conceivably one could use substitute readings taken from the Feast of John the Baptist or perhaps the Sacred Heart, but I would seek permission before doing so. The readings of the day in normal circumstances should be used.
    Thanked by 1Siena1347
  • Liam
    Correction: I read the following in an undated address by Cdl Arinze re the new votive mass for God's mercy:

"The Readings indicated are I Pet 1:3-9 (By his great mercy we have been born anew) for First Reading, Psalm 117 for Responsorial Psalm, and for Gospel, Mt 20:25-28 (The Son of Man came to give his life as a ransom for many) or Jn 15:9-14 (Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends). It is also indicated that readings can be taken from the Votive Mass of the Most Precious Blood or from that of the Most Sacred Heart."

http://thedivinemercy.org/news/story.php?NID=3152

My 2011 CTF edition of the Roman Missal doesn't include the new votives, but it appears there may be readings assigned to them as per the address above. Perhaps in a Latin typical edition only?

Thanked by 1Siena1347