Were You There
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Does anyone know a good choral setting of "Were you There?" Did Leo Nestor arrange it? Has anyone done the Burleigh?

We haven't sung it for years. Someone yesterday asked for it. I'm not adverse to possibly doing it next year.
  • francis
    I was not.
    Thanked by 1ryand
    Cute, but Jesus Christ is not an apple tree either, and it is not possible to go back in time and to "come and behold him, born the King of angels."
  • G
    I was not.

In the re-presentation of Christ's sacrifice?
    When His suffering is inflicted anew on "the least of these"?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CharlesW
    I usually want to take all the copies of that dog out and bury them each year, but not programming it would cause widespread revolt. I just do it the best I can and let it go for another year.

I have never seen a choral arrangement, which doesn't mean one isn't out there somewhere.

I just checked J.W. Pepper for choral settings and didn't find much.
    Well, I don't love the song, but I don't really have the aversion to it that many here do either. I really don't care much one way or another about it.

Like I said, we've not done it for at least the past 3 years, so when the pastor mentioned that someone asked for it, I said "Yeah, we can probably do it next year." I don't know whether I'll do it in subsequent years, as I only tend to think one year in advance.

At any rate, it's poetic license - just like the other examples I cited.
    I should add - Leo Nestor's "Saw Ye My Savior" uses much the same supposition and question as "Were You There" - and "Saw Ye My Savior" is proudly performed by not only my choir, but other, much more venerable and august ones such as the choir of the Cathedral of St. Joseph in Columbus, OH, and the choir of the Basilica of the National Shrine in Washington, DC.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't heard the Nestor piece and will take a look at it.
    It's nice. I doubt it will satisfy your people who specifically want "Were You There." But my point was that it's language was the same sentiment: "Saw ye my Savior? Saw ye my Savior and my Lord? O he died for you and me ..." etc.
  • SalieriSalieri
    There is a decent arrangement of "Were you there?" by Bob Chilcott in Ash Wednesday to Easter for Choirs (OUP). SATB (div).

Here's a performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfuxg7mfnGg
    Thanks. That sounds nice.
  • rob
    PGA,

I'm with Francis on "Were You There?": for me, it only elicits a flat "no" and nothing more.

Although I'm not sure exactly what the basis for my reaction is, it's not simply the supposition/question form which -- as I heard just yesterday in the Improperia, for example -- can be used to great effect.

I don't know "Saw Ye My Savior", but the various versions of the lyrics I find more effective are those where the question does tend to invite, rather than to foreclose, a deeper participation, even if the question is ultimately unanswerable.

Well, I use the political capital that I have to respond with a flat "no" to the things that I DO feel strongly about. "Can we sing "We Are Called" during the foot washing?" "No."

I should say, with some risk due to this being a public forum, that I get my way quite a bit. We use latin regularly, Gregorian Chant is prominent, my semi-professional choir sings polyphony, the only time I've played the piano at mass in the past 3 years is when our new pipe organ was in the process of being installed, and the hymns that we sing are a mix of settings of the propers with good, theologically sound hymnody.

So, really, when someone nicely asks for something that I don't feel particularly strongly about on principle, I'm inclined to say "Sure, I think I might be able to work that in next year."
  • CharlesW
    You were writing about a new organ some time ago. Would there be any recordings out there, by any chance? I wondered how it sounds in your space.
  • rob
    Sorry, PGA, my "flat no" is to the question "Were You There?" and not to the use of the song itself. I agree entirely on picking one's battles.

It's just that the more I hear it, the more I realize I don't get it, at all.

I'm beginning to suspect I'm not supposed to, given how high context the culture was from which it sprang.

• melofluentmelofluent
    This is a silly thread.
    However, I'm glad to be reminded of the hymn "Saw ye my Savior." It is beautiful.
    Thanked by 1mloucks
  • CharlesW
    Most of them are.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • pastor mentioned that someone asked for it,

Are the words that have killed music in the Catholic church.
  • chonakchonak
    I wouldn't rule out a hymn containing the expression "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?" or similar words, but only under certain conditions.

First, the phrase could appear at most once per stanza, not thrice, to avoid the effect of nagging the hearer. Similarly, one "tremble" is enough.

Also, the expression "my Lord" would need to be changed to "the Lord", to avoid then unnecessary intrusion of "my", "me", etc., into the song.
  • Liam
    Here might I stay and sing,
    No story so divine;
    Never was love, dear King,
    Never was grief like Thine.
    This is my Friend,
    In whose sweet praise
    I all my days
    Could gladly spend.

Thanked by 3G chonak CHGiffen
  • francis
    hmmmmm.... o yea. i forgot about the tremble thing... what makes me tremble is watching the movie, The Passion of the Christ.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    And a happy Resurrection Day to you, too, francis!
    Sounds like you need one.
  • francis
    U 2 melo

Alleluia!
  • WendiWendi
    We program it every Good Friday. It isn't my personal favorite, but it isn't horrible and certainly not the hill on which I would choose to die.
  • francis
    Jesus died on that hill. Were you there?
  • Liam
    Via zikkaron, yep, we all are.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    CLARIFICATION:

I don't dispute the theology, I dispute the music and its sentimental intrusion into the sacred liturgy.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, you choose simply to dispute. Call a spade a spade.
    Don't couch your rightful inclination to do so under dogmatic surety.
    Thanked by 1mloucks
  • Bobby Bolin
    the only time I've played the piano at mass in the past 3 years is when our new pipe organ was in the process of being installed

Wait, when did this happen???

I really need to get out more...
  • WendiWendi
    francis, if we lived in a perfect world I would dispute it as well. Although...if we lived in a perfect world...the event on Calvary wouldn't have been needed.

I choose to meet the congregation I serve where they are, and assist the pastor in slowly helping them grow in holiness and understanding. Rigorist attitudes are counterproductive to the goal of service to God's people. As usual...YMMV.
  • francis
    Melo, Wendi, Paix et al:

I understand your points, have 'been there', hundreds of times. I played the hymn myself at numerous Good Friday services at the request of members. DESPITE what I or anyone else does to 'get along', (and this is the real crux of the problem... dumbing down to get along-I am one of the best at getting along and at becoming a chameleon when needed), I state these things here not to be contentious but for the benefit of others who visit here and are searching for the 'right way' to implement sacred music into the holy liturgy. Someone has to hold up the high ideal, even if we all have to bend and accept mediocrity or worse at times. Plain and simple, I (and many other of my colleagues) judge the piece unworthy of the liturgy. It shifts the focus off of Christ and onto ME. And of all the days of the year that ME don't belong in the limelight, Good Friday has got to be very high on the list. That's all.
  • CharlesW
    Were you there when the idiot ushers set fire to the mulch during the Easter Vigil?
    Were you there when the organ blower refused to blow?
    Were you there when the lead soprano had an Alzheimer's moment during the anthem?
    Were you there during the worst electrical storm and power failure ever?
    Were you there when the drunk wandered into the choir loft?
    Were you there when the trumpet pipe dislodged a reed during the Vigil postlude?

Yes, I was there! It made me want to tremble, tremble, tremble.
  • matthewjmatthewj

Were you there when the drunk wandered into the choir loft?

And then proceeded to play the organ and conduct.
  • CharlesW
    Some days, that might have helped. Being pretty much a non-drinker, I don't have a lot of patience with those who overindulge. This guy was a genuine threat, so it was fortunate that we usually have off-duty police officers in attendance at many masses.
  • WendiWendi
    I was there to observe sixteen altar boys in cassock and surplice playing with lighters...and determined right then and there that adult supervision was needed. I don't know if it was as scary as a drunk wandering into the choir loft...but it was close.
    Thanked by 2Ben CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Wendi, I used to not worry so much about such things. Then a few years ago, someone walked into the local Unitarian church one Sunday and shot several people. There were casualties. I observe things more closely these days.
  • WendiWendi
    francis I wish we could take all the unworthy music out too...someday we will. It took us a long time to get here and we won't fix everything overnight. The progress my parish has made in the last few years is nothing short of amazing. I'm a glass half full kind of person. Rather than focusing on the fact that we sang Were You There on Good Friday, I'm focusing on the fact that...

Everything was sung a Cappella on Good Friday for the first time EVER here.
    We sang Allegri's Miserere and knocked it out of the park.
    The church was fuller than I have EVER seen it for a Good Friday Service.

I try and see the progress. It's more helpful. I know what the ideal is, but I also know that I'm not there yet, and that's ok.
    Thanked by 2francis Jenny
  • WendiWendi
    Charles, I can completely understand. We pay close attention as well, there have been a couple of mentally ill people who have come in to the church at various times. I try not to be in the building by myself as do the secretaries and the doors are all locked when we are by ourselves.

It's unfortunate that we have to take such steps, but we need to be prudent.
  • Liam
    I recall the most moving Easter Sunday I've witnessed: I was in the choir, facing the congregation at an angle off to one side from the sanctuary, and during the homily, an emaciated man clad partially only in a hospital gown wandered in from the hospital across the street, shakily, then from the narthex into the rear of the nave (which had flexible seating, and an area where there was a large oriental rug) and beheld the service for a while before gradually lying down supine with his arms out on the rug back there. A couple of priests and medical professional congregants tended tenderly to him - he was dying and had removed his tubes. Eventually, EMTs came to help him back, but we waited in prayer for that without too much overt fuss. I pray his soul is in repose with God.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Has it occured to anyone but me that brother CDub's parody lyrics and the following anecdotes actually augers towards the legitmacy and immediacy of the austere, primativistic authenticity of the spiritual in question?
    I can't remember any occasion where Berthier's "Jesus, remember me" is called to task for its appropriation (despite scriptural allusion) of St. Dismus. Well, how is its self-identification with the complicity of the crucifixion all that different. And Lord knows, there are a thousand thousand such stories as Liam's (i've seen them for 44 years on San Pablo Avenue in Oakland and Richmond, and even here in God's Country of Central California) in our naked cities.
    Why must we always sweat the small stuff, or denigrate it as "an accomodation" to populism. Bl. Theresa of Calcutta made no such distinctions.
  • CharlesW
    They were not intended as parody lyrics, but as events I actually did witness. I wasn't there for the crucifixion - even at my age I would have remembered that - but I was there for the events I mentioned. They did make me want to tremble.
  • Liam
    MeloCharles

I think you know that a very close friend of mine, who lives in the Temescal neighborhood for the past decade, has been a regular at St Columba's for more than a decade. He was present for the scene I recalled from the mid-90s (before he moved to the East Bay in late 2000).
  • I heard James Whitbourn's arrangement of "Were you There" sung during the broadcast of 'Easter from King's last week. I heard it online, and someone was nice enough to post the program on YouTube. The link is provided below and fast-forward the video to 49:39 to hear the arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9K4rci4Bd4

I like Whitbourn's arrangement. It sounds fun, but also a bit difficult. It makes me appreciate the old Charles Winifred Douglas setting more than ever:

http://openhymnal.org/Pdf/Were_You_There-Were_You_There.pdf
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Thanks, many thanks for the services from King's. I must say that whether by Canon Douglas or J Whitbourn, or any other that I have heard, 'Were You There' is almost always a tail wagging a dog. There is no other reason to 'do' it than just to 'do' it, or to have done it. Of course we translate other culture's and national music into our liturgy with great regularity, and, most of the time, with good results. But I shall ever think this a very old and consistently failed attempt to insert a genre that just doesnt work. Supposedly, we have liturgies which have some aesthetic substance and foundation expressed with a consistent aesthetic. Does an idiom so expressive of and rooted in the American Negro experience translate well in to a liturgical service? I think that it doesn't because it has the nature of a thing inserted out of place, out of its own milieu. It would be far more powerful, and, at home, in another setting. But, OMWD
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • CharlesW
    I found it interesting, when working with the funeral of a black friend, the reactions to spirituals from the relatives. They didn't know them well and called them, "slave songs." In their own worship (the deceased had converted to Catholicism many years ago) they either sing praise-type music, or a more contemporary sounding set of hymns. They are not bad, just not old standards, although they have kept a few of the older hymns. It made me wonder if locally at least, whites know those spirituals better than some of the black congregations.
  • francis
    Someone just sent this to me, unaware of our conversation here. This says what I am trying to express much better than I.

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/beauty-gospel/
    I guess I really just don't get it. I don't particularly find it "unworthy." I remember that James Savage from Seattle once wrote something about how much spirituals have in common with chant, the way they were handed down, etc.

I just don't see the song as being much different than many others that we've mentioned in this conversation so far. I must just be dense, but that's no news.
  • francis
    Paix:

I guess what it all comes down to is that the demand of the pip has trumped the true expression of beauty in sacred music by a mislead notion that they 'deserve' to hear whatever it is they 'feel' they need at the moment. It is not unlike the child who demands candy or sweets all the time to satisfy a craving. It gives immediate gratification, and seems to satisfy them for a moment, but in the long run they never get on to eating the foods that will make them grow into a strong healthy adult.

The clergy are mainly responsible for this grave error, because they are the 'father' of the liturgy, and it is in their keeping that God has entrusted to them, but they let themselves be emasculated by the tantrums of the immature sheep. They want to be 'loved' and accepted as friends on an equal level with the sheep, and don't know how to be a true 'father'. Shepherds have a crook for reason.

And what is worse, this then repels and usurps the true expression of the sacred that would come to the Church in the form of excellent art and music befitting the liturgy as 'we', (those that are capable of delivering that 'mature food'), are belittled, undermined and finally driven into exile.

The real crime in this attitude is that it is also done with the tennents of the faith. Catechesis is dumbed down to make the pip 'feel good' about themselves, the words 'sin', 'hell', 'judgment', etc., are all cast aside as being 'unloving', and we have milktoast Catholicism that demands nothing of the person, and they in return demand nothing of the world to come to Christ. It is the emasculation of the Gospel itself, and we will be judged on that one, we can be sure.

I have seen this happen over and over for 40 years now. B16 was trying to reverse the scenario because he knew what needed to be done. So meanwhile, we must keep carrying the torch, even in these difficult times.

So, in the end, trembling is not enough for God; He wants the very depth and core of our lives turned over to His Lordship and that means much more than just having momentary goose pimples.

You have my prayers.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    I don't think anyone's faith or morals will be compromised by singing "Were You There." Is it great music? Probably not. Does it come from a culture largely foreign to the Roman Rite? Yes, it does. Does it appeal to sentimental old white people? It seems to, doesn't it? I do it once a year on Good Friday to keep the choir happy. The earth didn't open up and swallow anyone. The mountains didn't fall and the hills turn to dust... Wait, that one really is garbage. Don't ever sing it!
  • Kathy
    Melo, perhaps I shouldn't tease you on Easter Tuesday, but is it really fair to tell Francis he has to stand on his own authority, and at the same time invoke Mother Teresa as your own wingman?
  • kenstb
    Perhaps my musical education makes me more inclined to listen to Matthauspassion than to "Were you there?", but my personal tastes have nothing to do with whether or not I can or should make use of a hymn. One of my first composition teachers said, "Beauty lies in the simple and familiar". The song, "Were you there?" is familiar to many in my congregation and if it helps them to pray more profoundly, then I can't see why I wouldn't sing it.  
    In the final analysis, my goal is to use music to bring the congregation to a deeper experience of the divine.

At the same time, Francis does raise a very valid point. Discipline seems to be avoided in many parishes, especially among the so called musicians.  In 1978 when I first began to play the organ in church, in order to become an associate organist I had to demonstrate prima vista playing and improvise on a given theme. These days, I encounter so - called choir directors who cannot read or write music and who have no training in liturgy whatsoever. The result is that congregations must endure the tunes that these artisans can manage and the repertoire and the choirs are diminished.  As much as I love to disagree with Francis, he is right about the disappearance of the words "hell", "sin" and "judgment".   It is a short trip down a slippery slope to the point where everything is okay regardless of where, when or how we choose to do it.