Assistance with Organ Recital Program
  • (I was directed to this Forum by Corpus Christi Watershed for aid with my organ recital program. My email follows.)

I am Andrew John G. Rondelli, a liturgical organist and student at Providence College. Your site has been very helpful to me in my development as a liturgical musician and I have used some of your music, such as the Lalemant Propers, at Mass.

I will be giving my senior organ recital on Easter Friday, April 25, at 7:00 p.m. My program is attached. In it you will see that I am playing Bach's chorale prelude BWV 599 (Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland) and Flor Peeters's chorale prelude on "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name."

In my program, I am planning on incorporating two verses of each tune with the melody line above for congregational singing after each prelude. Would it at all be possible for you to supply me with two PDF files of each hymn's melody line (in treble clef) with the two verses under the melody? For "Savior of the Nations, Come," I would like verses 1 and 3 as listed in 228 Savior of the Nations, Come in the Vatican II Hymnal. For "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name," I would like verses 1 and 4 as listed in 217 Holy God, We Praise Thy Name in the Vatican II Hymnal.

Also, if at all possible, could the melody line for "Savior of the Nations, Come" be raised a whole step to be in a minor (to match Bach's BWV 599 prelude in a minor)?

Thank you so much for your consideration. If you could email me back as soon as possible to let me know if this can be done soon, that would be especially helpful to me.

In Pax Christi,

Andrew John G. Rondelli

Theology and Music (Organ) Double-Major, Philosophy Minor
    Class of 2014, Providence College
    Organist, Saints Martha and Mary Parish, Lakeville, Massachusetts
    5:00 p.m. Anticipatory Mass Organist, Saint Mary's Parish, Plymouth, Massachusetts
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Does your music school have computers available with music composition software available? If so, you should notate these yourself. It is a good skill to have.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ryandryand
    /\ That.

If you can't do it yourself, I can help you out. But if you have the resources available, this is a good learning opportunity.
  • BenBen
    I spend a lot of time during middle school (and some during high school) playing around with engraving. most of it looks like crap, but I learned a lot through the process of trial and error.

If you don't have money to spend, or want to give it a shot, I would try musescore (musescore.org). It's a free, open source music engraving program that has a ton of features. It's still what I often use for my modern notation engraving.

If you want, you could even post your results here and users could help you improve!

Teaching a man how to fish, over and out.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • chonakchonak
    We have a collection of public-domain hymn scores available for free download, at
    http://musicasacra.com/music/english-hymns-in-the-commons/

It includes "Holy God..." in four parts. Might be close enough to your needs, might not.
  • rogue63
    E-mail me off the forum:

dgambrell at holyfamilylawton dot org