EF Sacred Triduum Low Mass?
  • veromaryveromary
    We've always sung Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil, with varying success, but this year it looks like we're heading for Low Masses, if that's even possible.
  • Protasius
    It is not possible to have Low Masses in the Holy Triduum. Just have a look at the missal. If you cannot manage to sing all of the propers, psalm tones or recto tono are always a possibility.
  • veromaryveromary
    Cool!
    Should be interesting then.
    Each year the music is more familiar.
    I can keep wishing someone would organise something, or maybe it's time to get organised myself.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen matthewj
  • veromaryveromary
    Looks like you can have a low Mass - not quite a four hymn sandwich, but close. I don't have a Roman Missal, but the Liber Usualis mentions a "Simple Rite" saying the celebrant "sings or reads" things like the Antiphon at the unveiling of the Cross p735.

Which explains why I was asked to include "Sing my tongue the glorious battle" into the Mass books for Good Friday. Sounds like that's what they would all sing at the adoration of the Cross. Which is pretty good. This year my son and I sang the beginning of the reproaches and Crux fidelis.
    Thanked by 1Andris Amolins
  • It is not possible to have Low Masses in the Holy Triduum. Just have a look at the missal. If you cannot manage to sing all of the propers, psalm tones or recto tono are always a possibility.

It seems that it depends not so much on whether you can sing all the propers, but whether the celebrant sings his parts (even recto tono). If he doesn't then it is a Low Mass, at least in the EF.