Music of Cardinal Domenico Bartolucci
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I just became aware that Cardinal Bartolucci's 4-part motet O Sacrum Convivium was recently submitted to and posted at CPDL by the Fondazione Domenico Bartolucci. Upon checking, I discovered that the Fondazione has made most, if not all, of the late Cardinal's choral/vocal compositions freely avaiable as Online Sheet Music on the Publications page at the Fondazione's website.

While I have not yet had the opportunity to delve deeply into the entire collection, it does seem that there is much fine sacred music to be explored.
  • BruceL
    O Sacrum is fantastic and we use it a lot. The tessitura is a little tough for the sops, but they can deal with it. Someone I know who is an excellent musician but probably would like to remain nameless does OSC with choir "oohs" the first time through ATB...sounds crazy but works well and isn't that schlocky.

In my opinion, it should be performed no slower than quarter=92-96, with the feel in a broad "one". The thing I hear about his music that I usually don't like is that it is executed a la dirge.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Bruce, I agree about the tempo that you suggest. And as for the high tessitura of the sopranos in the O Sacram Convivium, your comment seems to agree with me, too, which makes me wonder if perhaps this might be best suited for boy trebles.
  • BruceL
    I haven't done it with boys, but it would make sense. It's just hard (unless you have very flexible sopranos) to get the sop entrances clean and the sound not pinched. Takes more time than one would like.
  • I am so glad to see these pieces,Charles! Thank you for pointing out that they are available.

(One thing that works with my sopranos is "being excused from consonants at the top of the staff" and "only singing the most beautiful vowels you can". Pulchritude over letter-of-the-law/score. So I have them sing the line mf-f on their most beautiful 'a', then on only the vowels of the words, then if they feel really comfortable I 'give them permission' to add a few consonants. But I don't ask for mp or softer up top from anyone except my soprano choral scholar if she's solo-ing.)