Organ Funeral Pieces
  • hartleymartin
    I'm doing a couple of funerals soon. Arw there any interludes based on chants from the requiem mass available for free online?
  • rich_enough
    These may be difficult to find since traditionally the organ was not played at funerals - hence no (or very few) older pieces based on the Requiem mass chants. The possible exceptions are pieces based on the "Dies Irae" chant written for concert use, but these may be too long / loud for your purposes.

There are some pieces by more recent composers (copyrighted) - Gerald Near, Charles Callahan, and Dom Paul Benoit come to mind.
  • musicman923
    Rich, what pieces by Dom Paul Benoit are for funerals? I have a few books of his but never saw any funeral pieces?
  • CharlesW
    I use some of the Bach pieces from the Liturgical Year. Those seem universally suitable for funerals.
  • Protasius
    There are a few pieces based on chant melodys in a german publication by Johann Diebold from the turn of the century on IMSLP. He has several organ albums based on chant melodies, but one has a direct relationship to the requiem chants: The Catholic Organist at High Mass and Requiem.
  • rich_enough
    Benoit's Triptyque pour orgue (pro defunctis) looks to be a late work, published in 1969. The three pieces are "Prelude au Subvenite," "Offertoire," and "In paradisum."

It is no longer in print in the US, but according to this website, it's still available through a European publisher.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Eustache Du Carroy wrote a Fantasie X sur Requiem aeternam.