Prologue of the Gospel of John
  • henrik.hank
    Pax!
    I am studying the Prologue of the Gospel of John and found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXN9lLbtcB4
    There are two parts of this video:
    A) Lectio: Prologue sancti evangelii secundum Joannem / B) Responsorium: Verbum caro
    I attend the Mass in the Extraordinary form so I am used to the last Gospel (which is never sung, if I'm right). Could you please say anything about the two chants in this video? Is this from the Extraordinary or Ordinary form of the Mass?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I believe the Prologue is the Gospel for the third Mass of Christmas Day, even in the Extraordinary Form. For some reason the video's not working on my phone, so I'm unable to hear the chants. If done in one of the Gospel tones, could it be the Christmas Day Gospel?
  • The Gospel is introduced as "Lectio ..." rather than "Initium ...", which indicates that this is sung from an Ordinary Form book, but the tone used is one of the traditional ones (described in the Liber Usualis as "another tone, more ancient"). The Responsory "Verbum caro" is in the Liber as the eighth Responsory at Matins of Christmas Day, but there it has a different Verse: "Omnia per ipsum", rather than the "In principio" sung in the recording, so I wonder if this is also an OF adaptation - is there such as thing as an OF Nocturnale that one could check?

Both are absolutely stunning performances by Le Chœur Grégorien De Paris; I particularly like the way the cantor in the Responsory deals with the quilisma. Diehards of the Old Solesmes method, prepare to be outraged!
  • henrik.hank
    If I understand it correct the Gospel in the EF begins with "Sequentia..." but sometimes also "initium...". The Divine Office on the other hand has "lectio".
    The chant in this video must be taken from the Nova Vulgata (even it's same as the the Clementine Vulgata).
    Quilisma?
  • The quilisma is the small "jagged" note in chant notation, almost always appearing as the second note in a rising group of three. The old (i.e. early- to mid-twentieth century) school of thought emanating from the chant scholars at Solesmes Abbey was that the note before the quilisma should be "notably lengthened" and "emphatic". (I'm quoting from the 1956 Liber Usualis.) More recently, it has been proposed that the note after the quilisma is the one that should be lengthened (a little) and emphasized - as in this recording of the Responsory.
  • In the EF, the Gospel begins with "Sequentia..." i.e., "A continuation of the Holy Gospel according to..." except when it is the first chapter of a Gospel (as in the regular Last Gospel, the Prologue of St. John's Gospel) where it is properly "Initium.." i.e., "The beginning..."
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • JahazaJahaza
    Another exception is the Passion readings during Holy Week, e.g. on Wednesday: "Passio Domini nostri Iesu Christi secundum Marcum."