Latin Pronunciation
  • Hi, need help, choir is arriving and one of the songs I want to teach them is Be Joyful, Mary.....and I'm unsure of pronunciation of "Laetare" and this is why....

I think I heard Laetare mis-pronounced......I had looked it up online and thought it was LAY TAH RAY, but heard an earlier Mass DM say LAH TAH RAY and then was afraid to say it at the Mass where I was DM......(which I could not have explained the rose instead of violet because the priest wore violet because he thinks "rose" looks like "pink".....oh dear...but I'm off my OWN topic).

And for anyone scratching their heads wondering why a "volunteer" "DM" is unsure of pronunciation, remember I'm in my first year helping out (there is no one else)....and I'm not a cradle (head bowed) but I Thank God every single day he called me to His Church -- (head up and smiling)).

So, I'm tired of looking stuff up online and being unsure....I think I need to post more questions here

• THANK you -- wish I had found that long ago.....see ask and you shall receive.

So it would be Leh- tah- reh?
  • also choir had a recent debate about excelsius.....if it was

ex -- CHel -- sius
    or
    ex -- SHel -- sius
  • Andrew_Malton
    Eggshells.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Eggshells.
    Just ask the Chanzeller of the Eggshecker.

From the canticanova latin pronunciation guide:

X gs as in exam after E, at the beginning of a word, followed by a vowel
    example: exaudi

X ks as in tax followed by a consonant or at the end of a word
    examples: excelsis, lux

Hence, excelsis pronouced as eks-chel-sis seems to be the correct way, which flies in the face of the (apparently very west Pondelian choral) penchant for pronouncing it at eggshellsis.
  • Liber Usualis (no. 801, 1963), p. xxxviij:

ek-shel-sees
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Choirparts
  • Just be consistent. Remember, the Latin of Jerome and Ambrose would have been venee, veedee, veekee and that of Gregory I probably would have been venee, veedee, veechee. To Jerome and Ambrose, excelsis would certainly have been ekskelsees, but we don't really know what Gregory would have said. In Latin inscriptions, x is sometimes misspelled "cs" but NEVER "gs", nor are such words transliterated into Greek as gamma zeta. I'm not sure we know when the s of Italian esempio (<exemplum) started to be voiced (=z).
  • ChoirpartsChoirparts
    Laetare .... leh-TAH-reh

Excelsis—eck'SHELL'sees

Gloria in excelsis Deo .. GLAW-ree-ah EEH eck-
    SHELL'sees DEH'aw.

From: ST. GREGORY GUILD. Inc. Rev. Michael de Angelis ...1937
  • Thanks a bunch. Just finished choir practice and it was very helpful. Latin is a large part my overall plan to move us toward sacred music.
  • I was searching the archives here for a Latin pronunciation guide to give my co-op students. Thanks for the link to http://www.canticanova.com/latin_pron.htm ! It should work well. The audio CD for the program pronounces the second "c" in "Signum Crucis" as "sh" instead of "ch." I have no idea why?! I will have to tell the children not to use the CD for reviewing the sign of the Cross.
  • It all depends on what country one is in and what century it is.
    LIber Usualis Latin is rather a self-conscious, stylised and idealised construct.
  • A few comments from my experience in learning Latin, and singing in the choir, at Thomas Aquinas College:

1. Latin has long and short vowel sounds. A long "e" or "ae" doesn't sound like "ay" in English "may" or "way," but neither does it sound like the short "e" in "bet." (The short Latin "e" does sound like that.) The closest equivalents I know to the long "e" or "ae" sound are a Spanish "e" as in, e.g., "peso," "bueno," or a French "e" with an acute accent, e.g., "René." Thus: "Lé-ta-ré."

2. Excelsis: I learned to pronounce it "ek-shell-sis," and here's why. "Xc" sounds equivalent to "csc"--but how does that sound? If the "s" goes with the first "c," it's "cs-c," which would be pronounced "ks-ch." If the "s" goes with the second "c," it's "c-sc," pronounced "k-sh." There's no reason to prefer the first alternative when you can omit a needless consonant sound by using the second. German and Russian, not Latin, are the languages for stringing several consonant sounds in a row.

3. Two vowels together usually get two syllables, but "gu" as well as "qu" doesn't make a syllable separate from a following vowel, e.g., "qui," "lingua."

4. R: "Never as American R," they say. Ha. Tell that to an American choir and watch the lack of response. Me, I think the American "R" (if not overdone) is a legitimate regional variation in pronunciation, as when a French choir sings Latin with the "R" and "U" sounds pronounced as in French. Try this with a French accent: "et in saecula saeculorum. Amen"--très charmante!
  • 4. French (& HIP Berkeley) choirs don't always sing Latin u as in French: [et in sekyla sekylɔrɔm] seems standard, rather than [sekylɔʁœ̃].