Teaching music to the faithful.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    How do you all go about teaching music to your congregations? In my parish this is rather difficult to do as nobody shows up before Mass with enough time to learn new hymns and the choir of five or six only appears at one Mass per week, which pretty much eliminates using the Communion meditation slot for presenting new hymns. I have the feeling that the issues and frustrations I experience from discussions and arguments about participation can be mitigated with an effective method for teaching new music. This is what I have so far:

1. The cantor presents a new song before Mass.
    Sing through alone once.
    Lead faithful through twice.

2. The cantor reviews the hymn before Mass on the next Sunday.
    Lead faithful through once.
    Clean up any spots that need work (go over again).

3. The hymn must be on the song list for the next two Sundays at least, for retention.
    Must go into regular use so the faithful will not forget it.

What do you think? Is there a better way?
  • CharlesW
    My way takes longer and is not for the impatient. For a couple of months before the congregation sings a new hymn, they will hear it played during offertory or communion. Then the choir and/or cantors will sing it at least on a couple of occasions. By the time I list it on the hymn board for the congregation to sing, it is something they have heard before.
    I like that method Charles, however long it takes. What do you do if Fr. doesnt want post communion music unless it is the choir? Actually, Fr. doesn't want post communion music even with the choir, but the tradition outdated him by about a decade so he didn't get rid of it. He prefers silence after communion.
  • CharlesW
    As a rule, I don't do post-communion music but will include a communion hymn. In reality, unless it is something they have memorized, the cantor or choir sings the communion hymn during the communion procession. Very few in the congregation will sing them. Most of my new hymns eventually become entrance or recessional hymns. I dropped the offertory hymn years ago. I like hymns, but find 4 hymns too many.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Week 0-n to Week 0: Prelude, Postlude and/or interlude
    Week 1 through x-1: Choir sings it.
    Week X: Congregation sings it.

If X is greater than 3, I should not program it for congregational singing.
    Our congregation tries to sing everything. Period. Except choir songs they don't know. I think Fr. expects them to as well.
  • chonakchonak
    Some priests think that the congregation should sing everything, and that only music at the skill level of the congregation is permissible.

Happily, one can point them to "Sing to the Lord", which did acknowledge the distinct role of the choir in presenting music that is beyond the average skill level of congregations (unrehearsed unison singing).
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • WendiWendi
    Our parish uses the same method Charles does and it has worked quite well. I don't know who started it, but that has been the method as long as I've been at this parish and was used at my previous parish also. It is very effective, especially for those people who don't read music.
    Sing to the Lord also mentions that the musical formation of the musical assembly should be a continuing concern towards fostering FCAP, but that doesn't happen in my parish either. I'd love to teach music to our faithful.
  • BruceL
    I usually do it thus, as I did this weekend introducing Kyrie XVII to the non-choir Masses:

1)2-3min before Mass: go to cantor stand, greet, introduce the piece. Some very brief comment about its worthiness/characteristics/etc.
    2) Model a phrase; congregation repeats; repeat with additional phrases as needed.
    3) Close mentioning that you are happy to visit with/talk to members of the congregation anytime during the week, or even help them rehearse.

I can't stress enough that the most important things are 1) appearing to actually enjoy what you're doing/singing (even though I really don't like being in front of people), 2) staying positive, no matter what you hear!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Attitude is everything! Yours, the clergy's, the people's, everone's. An infectuous and indeflateable attitude will overcome Almost any resistance. In real life, though, it is true that some have this gift to employ in their goals, and some don't. Too, if the clergy refuse publicly to smile on your efforts or are publicly indifferent, your hurdles are compounded.

Congregational rehearsals seem to be a not-uncommon thing in many Catholic churches. They are, to me, foreign, disruptive of prayerful preparation for mass, and distractful of any desired aesthetical and unbroken bridge between organ voluntary and processional hymn or introit.

Not everyone has an organ with the variety that can truly teach and support new music. Not everyone has a choir that really makes a difference. But for those who do, I think that playing a new hymn through on a strong solo stop or cornet is enough to put the tune in people's minds. Using a varied registration while singing the stanzas is also didactic, especially using a variety of solo stops; or, putting it in the service folder that there will be alternation of stanzas between choir and people. In this manner one teaches the people in a way that blends with the ceremony and doesn't call attention to itself. This works very well at St Basil's Chapel at UST, where the people sing old and new hymns (all stanzas!) enthusiastically with or without a choir. A hymn, like a proper or an anthem is appropriate to a given Sunday's lectionary. I would never repeat a new hymn until it was lectionarily appropriate again. We sing new hymns all the time at Walsingham and people just sing them. There is no question about it. It seems to me that unecessary coddling is both disruptive of the liturgical aesthesis, and not complimentary to people. The Attitudes you teach are of Equal importance to What you teach. BYMWD

• BruceL
    MJO, I used to feel that it disturbed prayer, but don't agree anymore unless it is a weekly thing.

I think it's worth mentioning that the attitudes of those to new music at an Anglican Use place are substantially different than those in a normal Roman Rite parish. People (especially at non-choral Masses) are often loath to participate...in an Anglican context, these would be the 1928PB/Rite I 8AM crowd...but in the Roman context, they are nonetheless expected to participate.

I agree that a subtle introduction well-played on the organ with a cornet/reed/etc. is ideal for a hymn, but I do not always agree with a chant ordinary...use of such stops in speech rhythm pieces would be as out of character as outlining the soprano in an Anglican double-chant.
  • The choir sings the song or hymn as a prelude. When I think the congregation has heard it enough then I program it into the Mass appropriately and repeat it for a few Sundays until the congregation is comfortable. This has been very successful for us.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I taught Kyrie VIII before every Mass during Christmastide and the congregation nearly knocked me over with excitement. (Both with the setting and that I was teaching it.). I only do it if I'm introducing something new to the Ordinary. For example, for Lent I'm using Kyrie XVI with the "optional" ending so I needed to prepare the congregation to NOT always repeat the cantor.
  • WendiWendi
    We can't teach before Mass...well we could, but the blowback isn't worth it. We tried it, and too many people got loudly upset that we were interfering with their prayerful preparation for Mass.
    Thanked by 1canadash
    We have a carillon that plays before Mass, and we have had people complain that the practicing before Mass interrupts their enjoyment of the bells.
  • hartleymartin
    We have a carillon that plays before Mass, and we have had people complain that the practicing before Mass interrupts their enjoyment of the bells.

I wish I had that problem.
  • hartleymartin
    To answer the original question, I often put new hymns as the second communion hymn for about 3 or 4 weeks in a row before moving it to offertory or entrance if it is appropriate.

My parish basically does just hymns, no chant propers. However I look to the text of the propers and see if I can get a hymn which at least thematically matches.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz ryand
  • BruceL
    Haha, same problem, but change-ringing bells! :)

• Music_Miss
    I have found this thread to be very helpful in determining how best to teach my congregation a few new hymns that I'd like to introduce without disrupting the assembly's quiet time before Mass. (I do find it necessary to hold the "teaching" sessions before Mass when dealing with Mass Parts, but I see the benefit in limiting those "interactive" sessions to learning new Masses only. I think making the congregation FEEL like they're "learning new music" in interactive sing-and-repeat sessions for several weeks has the potential to make them tired of the new song before it is even officially used.)

Thanks for the great ideas! I'm going to try introducing a new Recessional song at one of the weekday Masses for the next 3 weeks, play the song as a prelude at each of the three weekend Masses before it will be sung, and have the choir sing it as a Post-Communion Reflection the weekend before the congregation will sing it. So, according to theory, the congregation will be exposed to the new song and have it in their minds for quite some time before they actually sing it, without "officially" being taught a new song in the way that a Mass Part would be taught. Looking forward to the results of this little experiment. :) Thanks again.
  • Music_Miss
    Although in all honesty, I think I'm the one getting tired of teaching the congregation in "repeat after me" sessions every time I use a new song...partly because of over-exposure to it and partly because I absolutely hate talking to the congregation. However, I do believe there is great benefit in leaving the assembly to quiet prayer time before Mass if possible. I'll be interested to see how the parishioners respond in this case.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Report back, @Music_Miss -- we'd like to hear how it goes for you! What new hymn are you planning to introduce this way?
    Thanked by 1Music_Miss
  • Music_Miss
    @irishtenor, thanks for asking! I'll be introducing God of the Hungry by Scott Soper, to be used for Corpus Christi on May 29.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Does anyone else think that song sounds a lot like NETTLETON?
    To the tune of NETTLETON:

That song sounds a lot like this one,
    It has all the same notes, too.
    We have sung this same song before,
    It's the words that now have changed.

We do this so that people
    Can sing and "participate."

We don't need to write new songs now,
    We'll just use the ones we have.

Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I believe it depends on the hymn being taught in comparison to the congregation's existing repertoire. Surprise, surprise - there are types and styles of hymnody. If your congregation is comfortable with one era's hymns, especially from a particular ethnic area, then another hymn should be fairly easy. Expanding their horizons is more difficult.

I have two basic thoughts:

1. If you're going to limit the hymn to only a verse or two, it will take you YEARS to teach it, and they will probably hate it by that time. It would also have to a "general" hymn, so forget about anything for a particular saint's day or even a short season. SING MORE VERSES. If it needs to turn into a longer procession, fine, as long as the priest concurs. Maybe he should add incense to cover another couple of verses. Would it kill him to just sing along once he arrived at the chair? I know that the Mass is ready to "move on", but if the hymn HELPS that happen, let it flow!

2. Anyone - cantor, organist, pastor - that gets up in front of a congregation to "teach" a hymn, or indeed ANY piece of music is automatically telling the congregation two things:

A. "This is so hard that we know you will have trouble singing it." That just goes against the grain of music being the universal language. You've begun your struggle with a total negative and downer.

B. "I'm here to help you." Again, you are showing that you are elite, and they are not. You're just piling on the negativity.

If it really is that difficult a piece, then maybe you need to rethink the necessity of having them sing it in the first place.
  • CharlesW does exactly what we do, and it doesn't seem to work in our parish. However, Father made it clear that it is only to be instrumental/choral 5 minutes before mass, and then silence before it starts, thus not allowing us to communicate to the congregation unless something seems really important, like a new hymnal or deciphering the hymn board
    Thanked by 1Music_Miss
    If it really is that difficult a piece, then maybe you need to rethink the necessity of having them sing it in the first place.

I think the bigger issue is the idea that it's necessary for the congregation to sing everything, hence the necessity of teaching them new things or else you can't do them.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I think the bigger issue is the idea that it's necessary for the congregation to sing everything, hence the necessity of teaching them new things or else you can't do them.

BINGO. An all-too-common attitude is that if it's not a sing-a-long, then they're not really participating. "Remember, Mass is not a concert," and all that.

The idea that it is possible for God to be glorified and for the faithful to be edified by a piece of music that is sung solely by the choir--perhaps even in another language!--is foreign to many of the powers that be.
    The idea that it is possible for God to be glorified and for the faithful to be edified by a piece of music that is sung solely by the choir--perhaps even in another language!--is foreign to many of the powers that be.

But they're not PARTICIPATING!!! They can't understand the words!!! THEY HAVE TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE WORDS!!! IS OUTRAGE!!!

In all seriousness, though, the issue of language probably comes from "ecumenism" and in particular the following principle of Martin Luther: every Christian should be able to interpret the word of God according to his own light. I might be out in left field with this, but here goes: Protestants are likely accustomed to this, given the emphasis on Scripture in Sola Scriptura, and in all practicality, continued use of Latin turns them off because they can't interpret the words for themselves, so in the interests of "ecumenism," many pastors have de facto eliminated the use of Latin, you know, so that Protestants will come to their churches. If I'm out in left field with this, please let me know.
  • Liam
    Catholics loved signing hymns for the devotions where they had much greater freedom to do so. It's not a hymns-are-Protestant-sola-scriptura thing.

• CharlesW
    many pastors have de facto eliminated the use of Latin, you know, so that Protestants will come to their churches. If I'm out in left field with this, please let me know.

And they justified the silly music years ago by saying it was for the young people to keep them from leaving. The young people left anyway and the Protestants didn't come. Guess we blew that one big time!

I am not the greatest fan of Latin for all things at the current time, because few understand it. However....isn't it interesting that the Jews resurrected an ancient language, taught it to the other Jews young and old, and now use it for worship and as their native language? Could we have done the same?
  • Liam
    Charles

European Jews had Yiddish as a lingua franca, and were accustomed to being bilingual because of diaspora - those cultural realities, among others, were an immense help in reviving Hebrew. That dynamic doesn't obtain as widely among Catholics.

It's *much* easier to teach children things than *adults* - children's brains are the human brain at its most plastic and absorptive. Adult brains are not only less plastic, they are already full. What adults have an advantage in over children are cognitive faculties that undergird wisdom and prudence: self-management, erosion of the power of cognitive biases by accumulation of more varied experiences, et cet.
    Adult brains are not only less plastic, they are already full.

No. Adults have already formed strong opinions and views that they are not willing to contradict. Children are more impressionable because they haven't learned one way or another yet. Adults can learn more complex and abstract concepts, due to maturity and cognitive development, than children can. One is NEVER too old to learn anything. Too STUBBORN, yes, UNWILLING, absolutely. Too old, NEVER!
  • Liam
    My use of the word "full" stood for a cluster of things, among which is that adults also have more conflicting schedules/demands on their energy - it's not only a matter of active mulishness, as it were. Your desire to have them learn X doesn't automatically means learning X will move higher in their subconscious triage lists.

I've seen this in action. It can be easy to blame on "them". I love to learn new things, but my years have taught me not to assume others share my love.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Music_Miss
  • BruceL
    And yet, why is it so often that we patronize children? This is a constant obstacle. People often hold up children as "human shields" against their refusal to grow in knowledge. I will never understand it.
    Thanked by 3Liam JL CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I don't agree with it, but after years in teaching, I have experienced such. Adults prioritize knowledge for good or ill, as to whether it is worth their time and interest level to acquire it. They will tell you rather quickly that what is important to you is not of any importance to them.

Children spend much of their time in classrooms where learning is the objective. Adults are busy with what they consider of more importance, especially when it comes to things musical in nature. I find music fascinating, as do most musicians. Why else would anyone go into this field? I am afraid the general public, or general congregation, doesn't share our interests. Or worse, they look at music knowledge and determine there is little money to be made there, and move on to something else.
  • Liam
    "And yet, why is it so often that we patronize children? This is a constant obstacle. People often hold up children as "human shields" against their refusal to grow in knowledge. I will never understand it."

I came from a public school system (never went to a Catholic school in my life) that was very innovative, and started *mandatory* foreign language instruction by the age of 9-10 and required it for at least 6 years (they started doing this by the mid-1960s). I am a huge believer in the value of this - this kind of development has positive results in other areas of reasoning and communication.

(This is one reason children's choirs are an excellent approach for Gregorian chant!)

Do this with a 40 year old who has a full-time job, a spouse, 2-3 children, and grandparental generation with health issues? You less likely to have as much promise unless you are fortunate in selection bias....
  • Liam
    "They will tell you rather quickly that what is important to you is not of any importance to them. "

You will be very lucky if they tell you that directly. More typically, it is communicated passively (because passive communication is the true lingua franca of the Roman church).
  • Liam
    When a church's director of music is exasperated with his/her choristers and/or congregants, the DOM has a lot more power to change him/her-self than them.

While that doesn't mean one has to perpetuate/enable poor situations, it does mean one has to persistently nip any temptation to cultivate resentment and related attitudes in the bud. They are not of God.