From 1976: two sisters from Australia share a Mass setting and other odd-sounding music
  • chonakchonak
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXiK-qX3As&list=PLACBB84AD28174C9C

From a blog entry at WFMU:

Among the sea of sound-a-like private-pressed Catholic lps that came out in the 1960's and 1970's, Sister Irene O'Connor's 1976 album stands out with its primitive drum machine and spooky, echo-laden vocals. Released in 1976 on the 'Alba House' label, the dual-titled Fire of God's Love/Songs to Ignite The Spirit lp features several haunting and remarkable songs, including the three below. In particular, the title track "Fire of God's Love" strikes me as so otherwordly and uniquely eerie that I wonder how far Sister Irene's O'Connor's seeming solipsism extended beyond music.
  • ronkrisman
    One can understand why no one ever hears about the Alba House label.
  • chonakchonak
    For those not familiar with it, 'Alba House' is the trademark of the Society of St. Paul, the men's counterpart of the Daughters of St. Paul; both are devoted to evangelization through media. Despite the similarity of names, these communities, founded by Bl. James Alberione, are not related to the American-based Paulist Fathers founded by Isaac Hecker.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Rorschach response: it's like watching the Hammer Film version of Frankenstein and Dracula stories with Cushing (not the cardinal) and Lee. Ew.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I kinda dig the Kyrie... not for the Mass... but it's kinda cool.

I'm grooving to it here in my office and hoping nobody else walks in at 7:53am and sees me.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    OH THE GLORIA IS GREAT TOO.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    AND THE SANCTUS!!! OH MY GOODNESS!

I have to go conduct a rehearsal..

I can't wait to hear the Agnus Dei.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Oh! There's a Pater Noster!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I truly hope there are no hidden cameras here in my office. I just can't help but bob my head to this.

Agnus Dei doesn't disappoint.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    That was awesome.

Now, off to go conduct chant and polyphony....

But I think this will get a second listen later this afternoon....
    Thanked by 2Ben canadash
  • ronkrisman
    matthewj: Perhaps you dig it because the entire Mass uses one of those stereotypically Spanish chord progressions?
  • It is awfully groovy, I'll admit. But ? and the Mysterians called, and they want their organ sound back.
  • chonakchonak
    I'd have enjoyed hearing a Credo along the same lines too.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Missa de Captain Steve Zissou!
  • CharlesW
    If I can just find my go-go disco boy costume and if it still fits...party time!
  • The rather, um, "sparse" harmonic language of this Mass setting reminds me of another old chestnut that we sang in high school seminary in the 1970s, the "Missa Bossa Nova" of Rev. Peter Scholtes (of "They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love" fame). Most of the Missa Bossa Nova used just two chords (E-Major, D-Major). I played a mean set of claves on this Mass in the folk group back then! It was so groovy!
  • chonakchonak
    I think we sang this in 1979-1980 at the student folk group Mass in the lower church:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323PL6pi1bI

and we sang the Lamb from that Mass setting too --

OMG, I think we need to stage an intervention on this church: they're still using it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_dUHbRwUE
  • CharlesW
    Interesting how the congregation just stood there mute. Must be that active participation again.
  • canadashcanadash
    I know that Mass! I have no idea why though. I see myself as a child hearing it. Wow. No wonder I didn't know anything about sacred music.

The Alba House album immediately reminded me of the "White Rabbit" song by Jefferson Airplane. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sorry, cd, having been in SF circa 65 when the Airplane's female lead vocalist was Signe Anderson and NOT Grace Slick, our poor nun's Mass is definitely not "like" White Rabbit. If anything, it is remniscent of Devo/the Mothersbaugh brothers' dada techno stuff, ala "Whip it, whip it good."
    About the Scholtes, that sucker was almost THE default setting prior to the SLJ's in the Bay Area for guitar groups. (For choirs? The Vermulst/Kraehenbuhl/Peloquin Bells/Lee.) Anyway, there is a certain symmetry in the Bossa Sanctus that is one heck of an ear worm.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    They all look so embarrassed to be there.
    Notice young dark haired girl, center screen at 0:16.
    And the young man in need of a comb to the left!

MY FACE WHEN I MAKE THAT EXACT FACE
  • Kathy
    Modern music is so engaging to the young people.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What vexes me about this (as I am normally quite vexed about lotsa stuff) is that why, in 2012, a parish music "ministry" apparently rife with enough altos and then baritones, along with the guitar armada, would actually CHOOSE this setting (dare we presume of the whole ordinary) with which to vex the confirmandi/congregation into abject silence?
    Boggles even my mind.
  • canadashcanadash
    Melo, just said it reminded me of it. Can't say I remember the sixties or SF, having never experienced either one.
  • Yeah, boggles, confuses, vexes. Just Appalling. Thankful we're moving away from that.