Inconsistencies in Psalm Punctuation.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    This may seem a trivial thing, but:

As part of the typesetting I do, I of course proofread my work against my source. However, when it comes to the psalms, I have noticed that different sources will punctuate the psalms differently. Books like the Liber Usualis may even punctuate the same psalm several different ways. The solution would seem to be to pick one source and stick to it, but most chant books do not have all of the psalms I need, as they do not contain a full night/day psalter the way the breviary does.

The problem with using a breviary is that although it has the asterisks to mark the middle cadence, I have yet to see one with the flex marked. I suppose I could use a breviary for the text, and musical books for the asterisks / flexes.

But of course, even with chant books, I have seen variances in the placement of the flex, and even of the asterisk.

One way or another, I am sure I will be able to come up with some sort of solution that will satisfy me, at least for a while.

However, does anyone know anything else useful about this issue?
  • Liam
    The Psalms were not punctuated consistently (in the Hebrew, Greek or Vulgate originals) in manuscript, so far as I am aware. Punctuation was more of an oral tradition/usage until the maturation of scripts in the Middle Ages, and then rationalized/harmonized in the eras thereafter. Even so, there's variation, as you find. Paul Ford probably knows much more about this.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    I suppose I should add:

I'm mostly interested in things c. 1890-1962, especially Solesmes or Vatican Edition books, mainly in regard to my continuing project of the traditional Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1962 version).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The lack of punctuation in oral tradition made huge strides forward when Victor Borge developed his phonetic punctuation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bpIbdZhrzA
  • This is obscure, but I am wondering:

Apparently, a typical edition of the Officium et Missae in Nativitate Domini came out in 1926. The Liber Usualis includes this material, but I am wondering how exactly it represents this typical edition in terms of things like punctuation.

Has anyone access to this book? I am looking specifically to get as authentic a version of Psalm 44, Eructavit cor meum, as possible.