A Catholic Organist's Book of Hymns - now available
  • We have been shipping downloads all day and are out of the beta testing phase - the books are now available.

This is a PDF that printed and used as is or loaded to a tablet music program such as ForScore (free) on the iPad. Eventually it will appear in printed form as well.

In preparation for pages that will be added as it grows, it is arranged by Tune name.

Web page and subscription link. This is also where you will find a form to ask questions - your questions will help build our FAQ. You will have a choice to receive email notification as music is added, or just check the webpage on your own.

Additional hymns are being added throughout the liturgical year in plenty of time for practice and preparation.

We are pleased to now be adding organ chorale prelude arrangements by ASCAP composer and long-time Cathoic parish musician Mark Winchester, a Fulbright scholar.

Note: This project assists two Catholic college students, who engrave music for the project, with tuition and expenses.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • musicman923
    So after purchasing the organist $20.00 option, I can get a organ chorale for any hymn tune currently in the database? Is it a once time purchase or monthly installment? How long is each chorale prelude? Two pages or so?

What a great idea!
  • Available right now are Three Part Organ Hymns and Chorale Preludes on 37 hymn tunes primarily of the season stretching from now through Pentecost with Marian hymns as well.

Almost all the Chorale Preludes are one page long, following Marcel Dupre's recommendations for improvisations at Mass. There are suggested registrations for each tune in both the 3 Part and Chorale Prelude version.

To be added are 4 part Organ Hymn settings (based directly on SATB hymn settings) and Melody and Chord pages...

The registrations are based upon ten registrations - send us your stop list on a spreadsheet page and we will create a custom registration list of these stop settings for your organ, at no charge.

The music may be printed or played off a tablet, including the iPad using Adobe Reader (free) or on the iPad For Score (free). The page size are US LETTER size with large print for use with tablets, or printed in a dark choir loft.

Within 60 days we anticipate having more than 100 hymn tunes - will probably settle at around 250 tunes with this first liturgical year cycle.

As an organist subscriber you have access to all of this for 1 year at $20. And, if you are dissatisfied in anyway, you will get a full, money back guarantee at any time, with a cheerful smile.

Glad that you like the idea.
  • WendiWendi
    This is a great resource. We are using it for organ instruction here. I'm sure the instructor will be along to explain how, as I am a lowly student.
  • Getting really nice comments with subscriptions:

I am so excited about this, Noel. I am a pianist who studied organ briefly in college over 10 years ago, but haven't played organ for churches on a regular basis since. Having suggestions for stops, and examples of preludes, etc. is exactly what I missed out on in my lessons, and something I have always struggled with, too. I'm not able to be a full-time church organist right now because of family life, but I look forward to using this and other resources from frog press to help me hold on to my talent until I can play the organ again. Thank you!!
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Excellent, Noel. I think that your work is great and needed.