1952/'62 - Litany of the Saints, fully notated ?
  • Where might I find the 1952 or 1962 edition of the Litany of Saints fully notated in neumes in Latin?

I am looking for what matches this text at the bottom of this link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litany_of_the_Saints
    I am NOT looking for any litany later than the year 1965. The litany of saints used today in the new mass from what I have seen is heavily abbreviated, missing important petitions.

I found part of the litany of the saints in the 1961 edition Liber Usualis under the paschal vigil, but in that book it is abbreviated and incomplete. I am looking for the complete litany as used in processions during Lent and other days before the the divine office or mass is to begin.

Would someone please direct me to where I might find it?

Someone suggested it might be in the Roman Pontifical or Rituale Romanum in a 50's or 60's edition. I especially wonder if I can find the whole litany online for free.

Thank you in advance.
  • If you have the Liber, look under "Rogation Days", which follow immediately after the 5th Sunday after Easter.
  • On the Institute of Christ the King Sacred Music page, there are two transcriptions of the Litany of the Saints. In the Holy Week section, it is in "Easter Vigil", pp. 8-10 and 14-16. In the Paschaltide section, the Litany may be found at "Chants for Rogation Procession."
  • Yosef
    Resurrecting and old thread here but...

With All Saints Day approaching, I was wondering if anyone knew where to find (or has made) the final orations (in Latin) for the Priest fully set to notation, perhaps having used one of the programs for setting Chant with notation.

I ask because we are planning to have a Candlelight procession following our Missa Cantata where we intend to sing the Litany, and I would like to make things as easy for our Pastor as possible. Any help or guidance in this regard is greatly appreciated!
  • In the Liber Usualis, you may read about the different tones that may be used for various types of orations.

Basically there are two schemes of tones (Festal/Ferial or Ancient Solemn/Simple), each of which can be used to cover all the possibilities for different occasions when collects might be sung;

Thus, after the Litanies, you would use thus use either the Ferial Tone "B)", or the Ancient Simple Tone.

Now, most priests in my experience use the Ancient Solemn/Simple tones.

However, the easier tone in this specific case would, in fact, be the Ferial Tone "B)", as all you have to do is stay on the reciting tone throughout, putting in appropriate pauses, and then drop a minor third at the end of every prayer, and at the end of the conclusion.

If you were to go this route, I don't see how notation would even help; and then you'd be all set.
    Thanked by 1Yosef
  • a_f_hawkins
    all you have to do is stay on the reciting tone throughout, putting in appropriate pauses
    The complication is surely the metrum, which is "never omitted", and you have to be fluent in Latin stress patterns to anticipate where to place it.
  • [Ferial tones "A" and "B" have no metrum or flex, only pauses where these would have been in the Festal tone. / The metrum is "never omitted" if you use the Ancient Simple tone.]

Interestingly, the metrum and flex that are marked in books like the Liber are only meant for use with the Ancient tones ad libitum; this because the rules for where to put these in the Festal tone produce slightly differing divisions in some cases, as they are based on punctuation: in the Festal tone, the metrum goes first, at the colon (if there is one), and the flex follows at the semi-colon (or if there isn't one, at the first suitable comma).
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Yosef
    Thank you for the information! I thought that my answer may be found in the Liber Usualis, but I don't have a hard copy of my own (yet). That being said, I have it downloaded now. I looked at the corresponding pages you recommended, printed them, and will meet with my Pastor to go over it all. Thanks again!