• henrik.hank
    Pax!
    I really like Gregorian chant. That's Liturgical music. I just don't like hymns (that's for the lutherans). Why would you choose hymns instead of Gregorian chant?
  • G
    Welcome, Henrik.Hank.
    Glad you like chant.
    Bear in mind that the Office is the Liturgy of the Church just as much as Mass is, and hymns are an intrinsic part of the Liturgy of the Hours. Ss. Ambrose and Ephrem, to name just two, wrote hymns, and I'm pretty sure they weren't Lutheran. (Although for all I know one of them regularly invited people back to the fellowship room for "coffee and bars.")

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • Kathy
    What G says is true. Just as vegetables aren't the opposite of fruits, so hymns aren't the opposite of Gregorian chant. The Liber Hymnarius is a book of Gregorian chant hymns, for example.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    In the rush to vernacular in the sixties, the Propers were not translated into English. Someone with better memory mentioned to me that it was nine years later before they were translated. Most parishes replaced those Propers with English hymns. We have had hymns for 50 years or so, and they have become a tradition of their own at mass. I know hymns belong to the Office - which has fallen by the wayside as well in the western church - but I don't see them going anywhere. Despite the gnashing of teeth on the forum, hymns are here to stay I think.
  • Kathy
    In the Byzantine Rite, the propers are like little hymns.
  • CharlesW
    They are. Akathists are often called akathist hymns. Each of the Byzantine or Orthodox traditions has developed its own hymnody in addition to the texts in the Divine Praises (Office) and Divine Liturgy.
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    vegetables aren't the opposite of fruits

Vegetables are the opposite of dessert.
  • Kathy
    True. But vanilla is not the opposite of chocolate.
  • Liam
    Carrot cake, anyone?
    Thanked by 3Jani CharlesW Kathy
  • hh,

They were used as a tool to make the Mass appear more protestant, to welcome protestants into the faith.

Sort of failed, didn't they. Destroyed the music of the mass instead.

Really, really good long-term planning.

Hymns belong in the liturgy of the hours. That liturgy has been suppressed, along with novenas and both have been replaced with Mass. Anytime for any reason. The Mass has become the McDonalds - fast food, consistent throughout the world and average or below in ability to feed people.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Back to the topic of hymns.

When they had sung a hymn, ... (Matthew 26:30, Mark 14:26).

What did Jesus sing at the Last Supper?

This might be a good time to read sing the Hallel Psalms (Ps. 113-118).
  • Kathy
    By the way, this is the only topic, besides chant interpretation and digital consoles, that customarily causes extremely graphic food fights around here. So let's keep the jokes and skittles coming...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Snack is neither the opposite of nor a cognate for the Precious Body.

But it really happened that my stepdaughter was heard to say, at Mass, "Momma, why can't I have a snack, too?"
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The only authentic approach to full, conscious and active participation is to raise our arms in an inviting manner and encourage the gathered community to sing a new church into being and welcome all people as the Body of Christ, thus giving a semiological interpretation of Gregorian chant pride of place as we express our unity through the singing of traditional Catholic hymns (such as How Great Thou Art) accompanied in the Solesmes manner on a Hauptwerk digital organ simulacrum tuned to perfect intervals.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Adam's comment is cited directly from Sing to The Lord. (Purple!)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam's comment is cited directly from Sing to The Lord.

Which exists in a quantum superposition, being both completely authoritative and lacking any authority whatsoever.
  • G
    The only authentic approach to full, conscious and active participation is to raise our arms in an inviting manner
    I went to one of those giant sing-along Messiah's once, world-class orchestra, fine soloists, and and opera house packed to the gills.
    The soprano next to me raised her arms in the air and swayed them side to side in about a five arc arc every time any variation of the Holy Name was sung. Bear in mind she had a score in one of those hands.
    Hallelujah was hellacious.
    It was worse than sitting next to a morbidly obese person in an economy seat...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I resemble that remark, but not for long;-)
    I sing from my hymnarium whilst at the gymnasium.
  • Paul_D
    They were used as a tool to make the Mass appear more protestant, to welcome protestants into the faith.

Actually they were introduced to foster active participation. This is evident from the documents, as opposed to this troubling quote, which should be challenged because it is misleading.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Actually they were introduced to foster active participation.

Excepting, how can you be actively participating in the liturgy by singing something extrinsic to the liturgy in lieu of that which is intrinsic to it? (Speaking of the Mass, BTW, not the Office -- of course, there are no translations of actual office hymns in the LotH, either, so, technically, the hymns that people recite in the LotH are extrinsic to that liturgy, too.)

And to be fair to Noel:

I remember when I was a youngster in CCD, not so many years ago, many of my teachers (most of whom were in their teens during Bugnini's "Great Leap Forward") told us that one of the rationales for the changes - vernacular in place of Latin, turning the Altar towards the people, removing statues and other devotional objects, and singing vernacular hymns (many from the Protestant tradition) - were done explicitly for "ecumenical reasons", i.e. to deliberately Protestant-ize the Lord's Supper (Commonly Call'd The Mass) and to make it more palatable for our separated brethren (in the West).

Obviously, these people, who were just 'average Joes', not liturgical scholars, didn't come up with this theory on their own, they must have been told this by "someone". My guess is that that "someone" was the clergy and the liturgical 'experts' in the '70's.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    when I was a youngster in CCD, not so many years ago, many of my teachers (most of whom were in their teens during Bugnini's "Great Leap Forward") told us

Questionably trained lay people running a ridiculously acronymed program explaining what they thought was going on when they were teenagers.

Hymns weren't introduced one day after the council. They aren't a new practice invented to foster participation, nor a new practice to be more Protestant.

Catholics have been singing extraneous non-liturgical hymns at Mass since forever.

What changed in the 20th Century is that (some) liturgical experts started to think that it was a good idea, instead of consistently trying to stop it or just ignoring it altogether.

This mirrors a more serious problem of the late modern era: Not an increase in sin, but a decrease in ideals.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Questionably trained lay people running a ridiculously acronymed program explaining what they thought was going on when they were teenagers.

QTLPRARAPEWTTWGOWTWT
  • CharlesW
    The ecumenical aspects were in the forefront, to be sure. I remember ordained guys who should have known better, stating that if we could only have more in common with the Protestants, they would join with us. Didn't happen, did it?
  • It is important to trust the word of people who were there.
    Actually they were introduced to foster active participation. This is evident from the documents, as opposed to this troubling quote, which should be challenged because it is misleading.

There was jealousy among some priests and above about the way Protestants sang. There was jealousy among the Protestants about how Catholics attended Mass no matter what they thought of the pastor, the preaching and the church.

If it's not troubling, it's not thought, just repetition. There were NO discussions about active participation with or among the people. We followed like sheep, trusting the priests and above.

Can you pronounce Abittoire? And know the original French meaning?
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Paul_D
    Other people who were there say other things. Rather than trust hearsay, I go with what is obvious in the written record that was eventually agreed upon by the majority. There will never be peace in the Church otherwise.
  • kenstb
    As far as liturgical music is concerned, the Catholic Church has (in the words of John Paul II) been breathing with one lung. We need the complete arsenal of our tradition to regain our identity. You cannot convert anyone, if you don't first know who and what you are. I often tell the musicians I work with (and unfortunately some clergy too) that the church isn't Burger King. You can't have it "your way".
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Can you pronouncespell Abittoire?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • No, you're wrong, the correct spelling is Abbitoir - in your pleasure in attacking me once again, you seem to have ignored that I was referring to the French word.

From now on, when you join a conversation, I'll leave. If I wanted to be insulted for my poor typing skills I'd call my ex-mother in law, not visit Musica Sacra.
  • kenstb
    I couldn't find abittoir or abbitoir, and my French is pretty bad these days. Do you mean abattoir?
  • chonakchonak
    My French dictionary spells it kenstb's way, too.

But anyway, the custom of singing hymns at low Mass goes back before the recent Council, so Noel's got to go back further to make a case of it being a Protestantizing influence.

• Kathy
    Every Friday in Lent, we have one of those threads.

Sunday's coming!
  • No, I don't. A very small number of hymns were sung over and over again with rare changes in parishes..until the move to singing protestant hymns came in the average US parish and the 4 hymn biz started.

As far as the Abbit bit - your dictionaries are right, I'm merely a miserable typist.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • CharlesW
    We used the St. Gregory Hymnal until vernacular masses started, then switched to the Peoples Mass Book, if I remember correctly.

I do remember a bit of envy on the part of some priests concerning the protestants. The protestants had the large parking lots, multiple buildings, paid their pastors well, and they tithed for the most part - something Catholics were not so familiar with. There is nothing a priest enjoys more than spending other people's money. ;-)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    FNJ, don't sweat the small stuff, you got CDubya and CMelo at yer twelve and six.
    I saw "Abbatwar" once, and I think James Cameron did better with "Aliens" and "The Abbess," but worse with "Clash of the Titanic." I think it was too realistic! And the soundtrack was heck of out of tune to boot! (Off by a Hertz or two, maybe even almost an Avis!) But the fairies chanting in the forest reminded me of LAREC, so that was.....
    excruciating. I'll take sirens and busses anyday, thank you.
    And yes, Virginia, there is a Sunday! And were not my services needed at a living rosary this coming Sunday afternoon, I'd be down at Boudreaux's Boudoir Bastille of Bourbon and BonMots boning up on my bona fides! I've seen plenty of monks stumble outta there at None crying:
    "Hey Abbot!"
  • ChoirpartsChoirparts
    ... speaking of movies... remember.... "Cast Away"?
    In view of recent events, the movie makes one think .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9Nm4RF-K0
  • Kathy
    Ok, good morning, happy Saturday, ready for do-overs and cereal and cartoons :)

Vanilla is not the opposite of chocolate. Abbot is not the opposite of Costello. Hymns are not the opposite of Gregorian Chant.

There are many Gregorian Chant hymns. Some of the hymns which some people might call "Protestant" are actually translations of Gregorian Chant hymns, including The Glory of These Forty Days, and Christ Is Made the Sure Foundation.

Some "Protestant" hymn tunes are cradle Catholics, first included in Catholic hymnals, for example, Lasst Uns Erfreuen.

On the other hand, there is no good reason why a Mass in the 21st century can't be musically structured to use hymns in a minimal way, substituting the following for the 4-hymnwich:
    1) English proper introit, in a simple style so that the antiphon may be sung by those who wish
    2) Choral proper offertory or chanted offertory, followed by a motet on the same text if time allows
    3) English proper communio, followed by a motet on the Eucharist, followed by a hymn of praise
    4) Recessional hymn after the Mass is ended.

• Kathy
    In what ways are these the same hymn?

http://youtu.be/Hhn4erOzAoM

http://youtu.be/cR9NHXnbxlU
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Um ... they're the same, the latter being J.M. Neale's translation of the former, both being the second half of Urbs Beata Jerusalem, a.k.a. Blessed City, Heav'nly Salem.

[Sorry, but this was easy for me, since I've been going through Neale's remarkable collection of translations.]
  • Kathy
    Yes, true, in that way they are the same hymn.

But in what ways are they different?

And taking everything into consideration, are they the same hymn?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Other than linguistically, they are the same hymn, but in different musical vestures.
    The panoply of meanings conveyed is the same in the Latin and its English translation.
    (Unless someone wishes to point out possible inaccuracies or poetic license in the translation.)

One might, also, observe that the emotional response to each is different. Both express our faith with equal theological content; both evoke reverence and awe, but the sensual experience is different. Still they are the same hymn.

By asking the question you seem to suggest that they are not substantially the same?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Meter, the same: 87. 87. 87

Tune, obviously different: chant and Purcell don't really mix. The Purcell tune (Westminster Abbey) is, of course, very loftily done as a processional/entrance hymn for the ecumenical service.

I didn't listen carefully enough to see if both versions include exactly the same stanzas (Neale's translation carefully adheres to the structure, stanza by stanza).

Does any translation and setting to a different tune make the two hymns the same? The answer could be yes, or it could be no, if the disparity between the idioms is too great. From my perspective, although one cannot deny the popularity, especially in the UK, of the Purcell tune, there are other tunes to which Christ is Made the Sure Foundation could be (and are) sung, some of them with just as good a fit.

By the way, other tunes to for which this text (in English) has appeared include: Regent Square, Oriel, St. Thomas (Wade), Unser Herrscher, Urbs Beata Jerusalem plainsong, Triumph, Bavaria, Corner-Stone, Canterbury, Neale, Tilleard, Sarum Hymnal Tune 330, Edom, Sure Foundation, Salvation.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    Jackson, I don't have a settled opinion on this question, but I was hoping for a discussion of the depth that your response and Chuck's have provided. It is one of those issues that I've thought of quite a lot but haven't been able to make any conclusions about yet. You are helping--thank you.
  • The following analogy 'popped' into my mind, for whatever validity it may have.
    One often sees pictures of the queen dressed in every-day costume on a Balmoral holiday, scarf wrapped around her head, muddy gardening shoes, etc. This vesture is, of course, quite different from the regalia she avails herself of when addressing parliament. Yet, she is the same person, with the same range of dimensions and meanings, whatever her costume.

Likewise, in my view, this hymn remains, substantially, the same regardless of its language or, shall we say, its musical costume. Still, the sensual response is rather different when that costume is changed. The Purcell tune (with grand organ and all) definitely evokes a loftier aesthetic (some might even say 'hubris') than the simpler plainchant tune, which, one must admit, doesn't compete aesthetically with the text (and, this is an important aspect!). Which leads one to observe that the English version sung to the plainchant tune might present us with a more a propos comparison; or, for that matter, singing the Latin itself to the Purcell tune. From whatever facet one views this matter, still, I think, the comparison with Her Majesty in different roles and garbs may be apt: the difference is in the vesture, not the substance.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Kathy
  • henrik.hank
    Pax!
    If this is an ecumenical problem (a term from Father Ted) then I don't like it. I don't want to be reminded if Lutheranism at a Catholic church. Sorry dude, we're ecumenical. No way I'm happy with that!

How does a church musician define the term hymn? I was just reffering to hymns that sound Lutheran and not other kinds of hymns. Why do you like hymns at Mass?
    Isn't Gregorian chant best suited for the Roman Rite? It more meditative (not even organum and polyphony does have that effect on us). Now we could also argue that a beautiful church is way better than an ugly modern one. Now I'm really confused.

Someone mentioned How Great Thou Art which is based on O Store Gud.
  • Kathy
    Hi, Henrik, what do you think of all of our responses to your questions so far?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    hymns that sound Lutheran and not other kinds of hymns

What in the world does this mean?

Is the following hymn Catholic or Lutheran? Does it sound Catholic or Lutheran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtK828V8bCM

Spoiler: It is "All Creatures of Our God and King", original Latin text by St. Francis of Assisi, translated by William H. Draper, with hymn tune "Lasst uns erfreuen" from the Auserlesene Catholisches Geistliche Kirechengesen, 1623, adapted by Ralph Vaughan Williams

This is a recording from one of the times that it has been sung at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Stillwater, Minnesota, about a dozen miles from me.

Here's another hymn from St. Michael's Stillwater. Does anyone doubt that it is Catholic and not Lutheran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xrSUbL4UU

Or this, from the same church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vybSEKZQU6c

• Well, these would never be mistaken for Anglican. The pace is far too rapid, the singing shews little sense of musical line, and there is no gracious moment between stanzas, Thinking that it could be Lutheran or Catholic, I decided that it really lacked that rather aggressive and unrelenting, even primitive and boisterous singing aesthetic which one associates with Lutherans. So, this congregation is probably a Catholic one which enjoy singing. And the organ? well, while played quite decently enough, it isn't touched with that magical aura by which one just KNOWS that an Anglican is playing it because of the unique way Anglicans have of playing in such manner that the sound seems to be coming from the walls themselves- the building seems to sing. It isn't Lutheran because its not brash and overly rhythmic and too loud. So, it must be Catholic. The tempos are wrong, although they are consistent. And there is no gracious caesura between stanzas, rather, we just sort of gulp quickly and attack the next one. Registrations are varied and somewhat interesting, but the organ just really doesn't 'talk', it never becomes poetry, even though it IS decently played.

It is a joy to see and hear something this nice happening at a Catholic church. Now, all they need is a little Refinement.
  • CharlesW
    One can quickly spot the difference between Catholics and Anglicans during processions. With Catholic processions, the cross is held at an angle, father's vestments look like he slept in them, he shuffles to the altar with his head in a hymnal, and is in a race to get there. It is clear that they didn't practice processing.

As for imitating Lutheran or Anglican playing practices, if you are neither, why should you? Most organists here play like the Presbyterians who dominate the local AGO chapter.
    Thanked by 1futurefatherz
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It is a joy to see and hear something this nice happening at a Catholic church. Now, all they need is a little Refinement.

Or a little less. I often find either direction would be an improvement, at least from a spiritual standpoint.

Most organists here play like the Presbyterians

ooh ooh, I got this one

Too slowly and with the saddest registration available?

Exactly like Baptists but with mildy funny robes?

Without smiling ever?

They play the introduction exactly like Episcopalians but then during the first verse half the congregation converts to Unitarian while all the girls in the youth group cheat on their Catholic boyfriends?

Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Actually, I was asking if the hymns themselves are Catholic or Lutheran (or, taken abstractly, aside from any posted performances, sound Catholic or Lutheran). I'm sorry if I derailed what I thought was the original comment about not liking hymns at Mass because they sound Lutheran while Gregorian chant does not (or something like that).

For what it's worth, the videos I posted above represent the closest of two available places somewhat near me where there is an attempt made to break out of the rather ignominious recent(?) past.
  • henrik.hank
    Pax!
    I guess my thought is like this:
    The Roman Rite has its Liturgical music. It's called Gregorian chant (not even polyphony come close to that). Chorals/hymns has been used by Lutherans because this way of singing worked very vell with their Theology.
    The Catholic Liturgy should sound Catholic, not Lutheran. Gregorian chant is more intelectual than chorals/hymns.
    What does a real church musician think?