• ronkrisman
    Does anyone know the origin of this abbreviation? I've noticed it being used more and more on various threads the past few days.

Some commenters appear to be using the abbreviation as a substitute for IMO (in my opinion). But wouldn't "your mileage may vary" instead be another way of saying "you may have a different experience about such-and-such than I," not just a different opinion? If it is, shouldn't the Forum have some sort of a "reviewer" (other than the Moderator) to guarantee that its published abbreviations are used correctly?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    YMMV is traditionally is used when discussing some technique or process, as a caveat that your results may be different. Using it as a general "you may disagree" is a bit of a stretch in its meaning.
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Adam would could should have added: YMMV.

YMMV
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Soon to be the new tetragrammaton methinks; wait for Serratelli's meow, I mean memo.
    YMMV.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Soon to be the new tetragrammaton methinks

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Liam
    I suspect it was my usage that prompted this bleat, and in that case, to clarify, I meant it in the form of "your results or experience may be different", not "you may disagree".
  • Kathy
    I definitely think each abbreviation should be carefully monitored. Otherwise, the results could be disastrous!
    Thanked by 2ronkrisman francis
  • CGM
    or else, IMO "WTF" PDQ
  • CharlesW
    YMMV is one of those abbreviations 2G2B4G. It is similar to 02 and could be positive or negative. But on this forum it usually follows 2MI or 2M2H.
  • BenBen
    It's not usually about disagreement, more about practical implementation or other variables. For example:

"I proposed to my pastor that we skip the processional hymn for the introit and learn the latin Pater Noster, and I got a raise. YMMV."
  • G
    the results could be disastrous!

Yes! Who knows what may befall us when idioms acronyms and abbreviations run amok?
    Were you offering, ronkrisman, to be the guarantor? or nominating someone else?

"I proposed to my pastor that we skip the processional hymn for the introit and learn the latin Pater Noster, and I got a raise. YMMV."

Hmmmm... I'm guessing almost everyone's mileage would vary from that, ya young whippersnapper.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Scott_WScott_W
    This thread roXorz teh BIG ONE!11!1
  • ronkrisman
    Were you offering, ronkrisman, to be the guarantor?

Heavens, no! The "guarantor" (I like that) must possess a terminal degree in advanced abbreviations.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • I have no idea what all these grammatons mean, and think that they are a nuisance that should be discontinued. I DID, finally, figure out IMO, but find the others befuddling nonsense parading as cuteness. YMWDT.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Harumph.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    WWJA

What Would Jesus Abbreviate?
  • Ignoto
    WWJA

hahaha (or should I say LOL?)
  • ronkrisman

If you want to go there, Adam, start your own discussion!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, I know, Little Joe, I know: He turned ten commandments into just two!
    Thanked by 3Ignoto Adam Wood Jenny
  • CharlesW

Jesus would abbreviate Wood.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "If I were a carpenter, and you were Our Lady...."
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    smh
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Okay, uncle. What?
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    shaking my head ...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    smh

I like to try to hear this as an actual word, approximating the sound of shushing with a 'hmm..' interpolated in the middle.

I feel this communicated the same thing.

YMMROFL
  • Kathy
    I took smh to be an abbreviation of the St. Michael Hymnal, and I wasn't sure what its relevance was to Bobby Darin.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Adam, no, that would be shm
  • melofluentmelofluent
    mr c, me 'splain-
    Jesus would abbreviate Wood.
    Jesus=carpenter's foster son, ergo: Jesus=wood worker/carver/carpenter;
    Our Lady=carpenter's earthly spouse and mom= silly permutation of Darin song.
    Song=possible cantus firmus for motet/oratorio/Mass Ordinary.
    YMMV=MUBAR ("M" subbed for Kathy!)
    OMGh= going back to bed. shm
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • Kathy
    Thank you for keepin it clean there, Charles!
    Thanked by 1melofluent