One of the CMAA's strengths
  • Kathy
    So there is this guy on this leftist liturgy blog who likes to talk smack about me. I used to take it personally, but now I suppose it's something of a compliment. He doesn't talk smack about a) people who agree with him or b) people who aren't at all influential. So really, it's kind of a pleasure when he tries a takedown. It's like a tickle fight, or a snowball on the car door, or some equally innocuous thingie that's only annoying when it goes on and on and on with no interference from the moderator, who sometimes seems like a mother who is oblivious to her little boy's endless stamina for teasing.

One of the things that is cute about something he has recently posted is that he's talking smack about a conversation in which two CMAAers, including me, strongly disagree. Imagine! Imagine two people "on the same side" in earnest disagreement about something! This only seems unusual because there are those for whom disagreement is not allowed. Ironically, they probably are the same people who enjoy singing hymns about "diversity."

Anyways, all by way of saying that I am grateful to be part of a group in which respect doesn't have to mean kneejerk agreement, where kindness doesn't have to mean compromise, and where tolerance isn't usually preached but is usually practiced. It's great to be on this journey, shall we say, with all of you.
  • CharlesW
    We are many parts... ;-)
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    ... we are all one Chevy.
  • francis
    chonak... some of us are part of a german make... nevertheless, Kathy has a very good and valid point.
    Thanked by 2chonak Kathy
  • kenstb
    Well said, Kathy. I have learned a lot from colleagues who cared enough to honestly disagree with me. IMHO, talking smack doesn't seem to emanate from a desire to follow Christ, but to each his own.  Pray for him. : )
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    It also helps us to work well together on whatever we collaborate on, because we do not have to agree on everything under the sun.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Francis, some of us are more Renault and FSO
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Kathy, I find this incredibly offensive and troubling.
    But now I know you can take that so I'm not afraid to say it.

This whole comment has been written in tech-deficient soprano purple.
  • francis
    Yes, I must say that I have sincerely enjoyed being on this forum for the past seven years.. has it been that long? And despite the few times I have been drug through the mud, this forum is an incredible oasis in the desert of a faithless world.

ClergetKubisz: My cars (see below) from years ago that I miss driving very much.

Chonak... I did have a 1968 Camaro back when I was a teen, and then I also had a Nova with the straight six... that was an amazing engine as was the straight six in "the shark" (seen in pic below)
    270 x 360 - 54K
    1200 x 802 - 190K
    Thanked by 2Kathy Choirparts
    Those are some beauties, Francis!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    How could anyone ever talk smack about you, Kathy?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    How could anyone ever talk smack about you, Kathy?

I find it takes a lot of practice.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Because she insists we sing sooo many verses....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    She wrote those verses FOR MONEY. Otherwise, she wouldn't care whether we sing them or not.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • Kathy
    Yes, I get paid by the word ;)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    No wonder you keep wanting me to do 23 verse hymns!
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • G
    You know I gotta do a blog search now to see who this doofus is...

I too appreciate how it is possible to have disagreements here and in the CMAA IRL with very little disagreeability.... except for that food fight in the Loyola cafeteria between the semiologists and the Old Solesmists. That got kinda ugly, with the soft serve ice cream and all.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    except for that food fight in the Loyola cafeteria between the semiologists and the Old Solesmists. That got kinda ugly, with the soft serve ice cream and all.

Later, an argument broke out over whether "soft serve" counts as ice cream. Partisans on both sides began flinging weaponized Graduales at each other...
  • Kathy
    Ah, yes, chant interpretation can bring on the fightin' words...
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Ah, yes, chant interpretation can bring on the fightin' words...

No, no.

It's only an interpretation when you do it.
    When I do it, it's authentic performance practice.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Now you're talkin', Little Joe, good on ye.
    That's what I call the "Jeffrey Mark Ostrowski School of Interpretive Chant," aka "My way or the highway."
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Speaking of filial love among CMAAers, I invite all to pray for one of our own magnificent practicioners (who shall remain unnamed) who is seeking a new position due to circumstances most unfair.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Jeffrey Mark Ostrowski School of Interpretive Chant Dance
  • Kathy
    Uh-oh, people shouldn't be talkin smack :)
  • francis
    Come on now. I have NEVER seen JMO in leotards!
  • Disturbing and disturbinger.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Melo- yes to your prayer request. That one is at the top of my list.
  • Kathy, I'm in complete accord with your appreciation of how differences are voiced in CMAA Land. Good point, and prayerful perspective.
    As to the smack talker and censoring of views, let it encourage you! People resort to censorship when they are threatened in some way.

My pathetic little pea brain keeps returning to the ice cream fight. Sounds like a possible idea for chant camp this year!

• melofluentmelofluent
    except for that food fight in the Loyola cafeteria between the semiologists and the Old Solesmists. That got kinda ugly, with the soft serve ice cream and all.

I didn't qualify for that clash of titans. I do know where I was: singing duets with the lovely lady cashier at the cafeteria entrance whose smile I'll never forget!
    Smack.
  • G
    And double-smack.

Adam Wood, I think you may be the one, young whipper-snapper though you be.

I need someone to help establish a program of Liturgical Tap Dance.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    What I find most distressing is that within our ranks we're now seeing folk who are fully prepared to abandon the hard work done so far in reforming the reform. Perhaps it's not really reared its ugly head here, but generally in the blogosphere and elsewhere there's been a lot of digital ink spilt on the subject.

Will Indianapolis be the locus of a grudge match? Reformists versus Traditionalists?

Don King, call your office.
  • rich_enough
    we're now seeing folk who are fully prepared to abandon the hard work done so far in reforming the reform.

I'm not sure whom you're referring to.

This article, by our own Dr. Peter Kwasniewski, provides some much-needed clarifications.
    Thanked by 1David Andrew
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Thank you for pointing this out. I stand corrected, as not only did I misunderstand his original article, but somehow missed this one that clarifies his point.

However, I still fear that there are those who are willing to throw in the towel, as they say.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • Kathy
    This is so intriguing. I have to wonder what the scoop is!
  • SalieriSalieri
    flinging weaponized Graduales at each other...

Not a Roman Missile?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood mrcopper
  • Carl DCarl D
    The rumor is that Father Z is bringing his Liturgical Beretta!
  • CharlesW
    If Traditionalists are involved, it will be an anathema hurl.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Not a Roman Missile?

No, either a salvo from Cannon Law, or they will call in the Calvary Cavalry.
  • Who needs weapons? That's what high notes are for. :)
  • Kathy
    Sounds like the wisdom of the mother of many sons ;)
  • Hahaha! Too true!