From Indonesia, a question about organum
  • Hello,
    Introduce allow me to introduce myself.

I am a member of local Gregorian Chant choir "Schola Cantorum Gregorianum Bandungensis"
    We are small community with constant weekly practice. Our member consist about 10+, but every practice only 4-5 members. And we are 3 years old group.
    Our choir group is supported by parish pastor. Despite many times rejection by Cathedral, our member zealously still practice Gregorian Chant, seeking refuge in parish by parish. Thanks to God, we got refuge in local parish. We are the only group who sing Gregorian Chant in whole city.

Our Group founded when Summorum Pontificum is issued. We happy heart we try to celebrate Extra-ordinary Mass.
    Although our bishop nor support or reject, we finally can celebrate this mass. But only last few months because the priest is old and weak.

May I ask? I got few question about organum technic.
    Where I can read about how to sing organum?
    We tried strict organum when sing Kyrie from Mass IV, but shy when serve in Church.
    I have tried to find any practice book about organum, but I cant find any.
    Would you help me?

Thank you very much. Pax!
  • rogue63
    I just sent you a private message.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Selamat datang! Di Indonesia di mana? (iya, dong Bandung!) The first time I heard the Liber usualis sung from by a choir was in a neighborhood church in Surakarta in 1986, during a gamelan-accompanied Nativity play (the neighborhood was Gajahan, which a Sanscritist might correctly guess used to have an elephant stable).

Organum is described a bit in Musica enchiriadis and strict organum is fairly straightforward. We use it for the final Alleluia, after the Gospel verse: f f ga a /a g ag ef /g fe d d. Florid organum is something I haven't attempted yet, partly because we are a mixed SATB choir, partly because I am a second bass. ;-)

I'd enjoy hearing more about your group!
  • Thank you ,
    Hehe" , yes we are from Bandung, since our schola cantorum bearing name Bandungensis :p . Wow 1986, i am not even born. But I heard Middle Java Province music is corporated with gamelan, I have heard once only in Javanese, not Latin.

I have read about article musica enchiriadis in wikipedia, and several thread in musicasacra. But I dont know where and which chant that can be applied strict organum and drone 'ison'

We once tried imitated from Ensemble Organum http://www.amazon.com/Ecole-Notre-Dame-Messe-Christmas/dp/B0000007N3 , which is Kyrie from Mass IV . But otherwise from that, I dont know how to apply this beautiful technic.

Should I move discussion about organum, to suitable topic? since I wrote "introduction" . :)
  • chonakchonak
    I changed the title. Welcome!
    Thanked by 1jefflokanata
  • SalieriSalieri
    Florid organum is something I haven't attempted yet,

A small group from my choir sang Leonin's Viderunt at Midnight Mass. It was great fun.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    1985 was a traumatic year in Bandung. My first visit I made some wonderful friends, including a German-speaking drama student who took me to private performances of Strindberg. A month later his obviously terrified landlady and classmates denied that he ever existed, and one person whose trust I gained told me he was beyond any help, while anyone talking to a foreigner might be under suspicion. I left and spent the rest of my time in relatively calm Solo. Amnesty International documented 600 or so such disappearances in Bandung that year, and a similar number of bodies left in alleys. I've always hoped to return in some happier time, which I hope you are now enjoying.

Returning to organum, some pieces just seem to fit better than others with parallel organum in fifths and twelfths: I've attached a sheet of our Gospel acclamation. Another practice is fauxbourdon: one adds a fourth above the middle voice and the bass "sights" (that is, imagines) a note a third higher or in unison with the chant while singing a perfect fifth lower than the sighted note. The second attachment is something I put together for our patronal feast.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    . Wow 1986, i am not even born.

And, once again, it's the youth leading this movement...

I am no expert on organum and similar techniques. But I have a small, amateur choir with not enough experience singing chant - so perhaps my experience in trying to figure this sort of things out in a similar situation might be helpful.

Couple things:
    -An 'ison' is just a drone: A single note held, usually by a few low voices, under the singing.
    -'strict' organum is, as you probably know, just duplicating the melody at a 5th, and singing in parallel.

Both of these techniques now have a lot of history and theory/technique associated with them, but in their original form they were somewhat improvisational.

I would just try things. Really - take a chant everyone knows well (a part of the Ordinary, or some hymn) and just TRY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Have the lower voices hum on the tonic, see how that sounds. Have them hum on the dominant, see how that sounds. See if it makes sense to switch back and forth at certain points (like having the dominant for the notes approaching the cadence, and then the two parts landing on the final together in unison).

Try singing something simple that you know, and have two or three singers begin a 5th above, and then singing in strict parallel.

Try combining these two techniques. Try starting adding organum only at certain moments, or for certain phrases.

(When I do multi-stanza chant hymns, I'll often start in strict monody, and then add a drone after a verse or two, and then add a high organum part on the last verse. Very dramatic.)

Obviously, you should read more and listen more, and try to learn the 'right' ways of doing things, but there's a lot to be said for trying different things and figuring out what works for your group, what sounds good to your ears, and what moves your congregation to prayer.
  • Here's an article about organum in NPM's magazine Pastoral Music, Jan. 2011, starting on page 19.

Here's the Good Friday Improperia sung over a faint constant drone.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What Adam calls "strict" organum is probably more correctly called "parallel" organum.

The statement that it is sung at a fifth is ambiguous at best. It was perhaps just as often sung a perfect fourth below the chant melody, and the notion that a perfect fifth (either above or below) is somehow "more consonant" for an ending is, in the opinion of many, overblown. When the tessitura of the chant is high as is often the case, it doesn't make sense to try to sing above the melody.

There is also more complex organum, which deviates at times from being parallel, but it is a rarer species and not exactly easy to devise (improvise) on the spot.

While they are dones, isons do not always stay on a fixed tone, but move from time to time to fit better the chanted melody. Moreover, isons are not necessarily a single part, but there may be two or even three isons (sometimes in organum with each other.

It is possible (likely?) that nonparallel organum and multiple voiced organum had an influence on the early development of harmony and counterpoint.

Thanked by 2Adam Wood hilluminar
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What Adam calls "strict" organum is probably more correctly called "parallel" organum

yes - the OP used the word "strict", so I did too.

isons do not always stay on a fixed tone, but move from time to time to fit better the chanted melody

yes.
    Often, this seems to follow a proto-Dominant-Tonic pattern - moving to either a 4th below the Final, or a 2nd (major or minor) and then returning.

I'm sure there are other patterns, but those seem to be frequent.

isons are not necessarily a single part, but there may be two or even three isons (sometimes in organum with each other.

yes.

Though - not counting octaves (maybe I should), I've never heard more than two (that I was aware of), and can't remember any instances where they were anything other than a 5th (or 4th) apart.

It is possible (likely?) that nonparallel organum and multiple voiced organum had an influence on the early development of harmony and counterpoint.

I assumed this was not just possible or likely, but the accepted explanation.
  • thank you for reply

so the correct terminology for singing same melody different tonic is parallel organum, for this case, perfect parallel 5th or 4th organum, correct?
    and what different from parallel organum and fauxbourdon?

our schola cantorum have very minimal theory music knowledge.
    Are all gregorian practically can be singing parallel organum? sometimes complex melody, is hard to sing parallel.

Is there any spiritual advice about this technic?
    I mean, why we employ such technic.
    Does it make more beautiful? or Does it make more mystic?
  • Richard Mix,

1985 was a traumatic year in Bandung. My first visit I made some wonderful friends, including a German-speaking drama student who took me to private performances of Strindberg. A month later his obviously terrified landlady and classmates denied that he ever existed, and one person whose trust I gained told me he was beyond any help, while anyone talking to a foreigner might be under suspicion. I left and spent the rest of my time in relatively calm Solo. Amnesty International documented 600 or so such disappearances in Bandung that year, and a similar number of bodies left in alleys. I've always hoped to return in some happier time, which I hope you are now enjoying.

I am sorry if our people treat foreigner like that...
    That time is called Orde Baru (New Order) , when our president is a bit tyrannical .
    Since 1998, the revolution began, and any racial discrimination is more and more diminish... but now, religion discrimination is more tension, because insurgent and liberated fanatic religious group.
  • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201663583062805

last sunday, we celebrate Extraordinary Mass, It is since 2 years we couldn't celebrate.

and this is a small clip, from Kyrie Eleison
  • Jefflokanata,

Thank you for posting this video. If you do not mind, I'd like to make some helpful comments that I think might be useful for some to read, using your video.

The cantor does a really nice job of introducing the chant, starting soft, the sound growing to the middle and softening on the end of phrases.

The choir responds sings like most American Catholic Choirs! The difficulty we have with them is that they often just sing as loud as they can.

How to change this? When we listen to monastic communities singing we usually hear sensitive singing starting phrases softly, building, then softening the ends and relaxing.

In India traditional singing voice lessons are taught without speaking. The teachers sings to you and you sing back, over and over.

I wonder if the cantor here (and in choirs in the USA) in rehearsals and at Mass would dramatically start much softer on every phrase and end just as softly, then have the choir sing carefully imitating him or her, if this would eventually work to improve the singing of the choirs?

Do the monks and nuns sing softly and sensitively at the beginning and end of the phrases because they have been taught that way, or because they are not thinking that they have to be heard throughout the building?

Are they singing to fill the room or together in prayer?
    Thanked by 2ryand jefflokanata
  • @noel jones

thank you for reply .
    to be honest in that mass, we got irregular (i got no word for this, member who cant practice with us, but show up in the mass) member who sung in the spot, without many practice with us, but we welcome them.

because our member are few and the congregation is full, the sound is might be dampened, and we have to sung louder, and also congregation sung with us.

to be mentioned also, we don't have voice couch, or somebody who expert in Gregorian Chant to taught us.

We have question, do we have to sing to fill the room? or we sing softly with small member?

sometimes, if we have many member in our schola when in mass, we can sing more softly :p

thank you, we need constructive comment
  • We have the exact same problems here in the USA, especially with members showing up without rehearsing. Especially at Christmas! This was not such a problem in the past when the singing of chant was worldwide - so at least they had sung the chants in prior years.

I'd say to try not to sing to fill the room, but rather sing softer with a small group.

By taking time to warmup during rehearsals singing long notes on ah demonstrating to them with your hand that you want them to start this note soft (hold up your hand like a policeman directing traffic to stop), then turn the hand and lift it up so they will know to build the sound, then turn the hand and lower it to soften turning the pal to them to remind them to soften, you can make a lot difference in the way that they will sing chants.

Once they will follow your hand (it becomes a sort of challenging game for them to match your movements) on just singing a long note, then sing a chant. Something like Jesu Dulcis Memoria or the Orbis Factor Kyrie.

Listen to the softening of each line here, as a good example.

http://youtu.be/HwcG3mYo5Kk

The way that you all sing the Kyrie really sounds better than I bet that you think. Influencing them to soften before they take a breath and taking longer to take the breath will make you all sound more relaxed - the cantor sings the chant nicely and, if he exaggerates the softening just before taking a breath and takes more time at the breath the choir will begin to imitate.

You all have rounder vowels than we do in many parts of the USA, which is good when singing!
  • I just came across this picture of your choir!

https://instagram.com/p/qrGJl3jp1I/