Duties for half-time organist position
  • Thank you all.
  • BruceL
    Four questions: 1) are you also the music director and, if not, is the music director full-time? 2) Do you have a contract? 3) Are you paid separately for anything diocesan or outside the regular schedule? 4) Are you paid per-service, or salaried?
  • I play the organ only.
    The problem for me is that when I got the job description/ contract, the Cathedral never mentioned the exact number of masses..It just says 'All Holy Day Masses' and special liturgies related to music..So I assumed simply that this requires a little more work than other jobs since this is Catholic position, and expected reasonable amount of work for half-time position. I think I made a huge mistake :(
  • BruceL
    Based on your description and nothing more, I would not consider that a half-time position. Maybe you could contact NPM or CRCCM (http://crccm.org/) for some support?

The assertion that your practice time isn't part of your hours is absurd. Surely the priest all use their vacation to prepare homilies, at least by that standard.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this, but this is also a reason why many Catholics don't work for the Catholic Church. With friends like these...

For what it's worth, our former quarter-time organist played for one Mass and one rehearsal a week (with usually one other Mass a month thrown in), covered for my vacation times, and was expected to lend a hand on some holy days as needed. The rep wasn't super easy, but to me, that's a quarter time position.
  • Thank you for your comments!
    I heard from many people at Cathedral that previous organists have been changed many times...I think that's one of reasons :(

I will check with NPM and CRCCM. Thanks again for your help!
  • CharlesW
    That does sound like too much for a one-half time position, but it also sounds really vague as to what you are required to do. I have a feeling there are no benefits and you will get a 1099 form at year end instead of a W-2. If this is the norm, I can see why previous organists have left.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Are you in the United States?
  • I get a w-2 from my job. Yes, I am in the US.
    I find it odd that you're having these discussions with the priests. I don't employ an organist but I do employ singers. I can't imagine my pastor wanting to supervise and deal with them personally. You must have one of those very "hands on" guys.
  • kenstb
    With friends like these, you need a good lawyer. If you didn't fill out a withholding form, you will receive a 1099-misc at the end of the year, which will require you to hold the bag for taxes owed. All of this should be reflected in your employment contract. If you are an independent contractor, you shouldn't be required to perform anything not specified in your contract. Take another look at it.  
  • chonakchonak
    kenstb, doglover1000 already clarified that he's a w-2 employee, so we don't need to worry about that particular issue.

• chonakchonak
    Doglover1000, to clarify another issue: if you're salaried, that means you're not paid on a per-hour basis. So it doesn't seem to matter much if you count your practice time as hours worked, or not. Am I understanding you right?

It does sound like your position comes with the obligation to play the Sunday and Holy Day Masses (and pay for a substitute when you can't). Organists, is that still standard procedure for the principal organist of a parish (or cathedral)?
  • Thanks for your note, Chonak!
    My preparation time may be a part of the matter, too. I am salaried, but those tons of masses I have to play for are not always simple 1-hr masses with improvisation. Some of those masses take more than two hours and there are always with cantors/the choir for all masses. I will have to work with them a few minutes/ one hour prior to masses start in addition to regular choir rehearsals. So when I say those masses played by myself, my work hours increase highly. Since the cathedral said this is half-time position, I have other plans. However, those work hours are a lot and if I add my practice time to get ready for masses, eventually I can't do what I want to do mostly besides this cathedral position.

Plus, the priest and my boss don't allow me to miss any masses happened irregularly during weekdays, which means I have to stand by or reschedule my things for irregular masses all the time.

The Cathedral pays good salary with benefits for HALF-time position which we usually know with reasonable amount of work, but eventually my work at cathedral is for full-time and the salary is under average for full-time position. I feel like the cathedral wants to take advantage of the organist with less spending, so says it is half-time position with vague statements in the job description..and then makes the organist work fully.
  • chonakchonak
    Let's see if I can try to figure out what their point of view is.

They are probably thinking that most of the weekend Masses take an hour, so perhaps you are present in the church two hours for every Mass: that's six hours every weekend. The choir rehearsal would be another two hours. So that would add up to eight hours per week for the basic duties.

I get the impression that the weekday demands are making it difficult to combine this job with your other weekday activities (work, study, whatever).

The six Holy Days are all on fixed dates, so they are all predictable. So is Ash Wednesday. The Easter Triduum services are longer, but they are known in advance.

Some diocesan events are known far in advance (e.g., ordinations), while some may not be planned far in advance. Would it help if you could get a commitment from the Cathedral rector to give you advance notice of weekday events: say, four weeks?

How often do call on you to play for some weekday events with little advance notice?

I'm not an organist, so I hope some organists can comment on the duties and expectations that come with this sort of position.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • matthewjmatthewj
    When you decide to go accept a position from a parish, it's important to get everything in writing. Every. Last. Detail.
    Thanked by 2BruceL francis
  • Thanks for all your comments, guys!

Chonak, I am not sure if predictable dates for Holy Day Masses or diocesan events are SUPER important in my questions. Since they are not on fixed days during weekdays, any masses happen on any days during weekdays. For example, I can't open my Mondays all the time throughout the year for Holy Day Masses....or Tuesdays, etc...right? I was expecting a certain number of masses happened in weekdays can be missed, but the Cathedral doesn't allow that because they think they pay good salary for half-time position, and I have to play for all.

The choir is off in summer, but there is another 1- hour rehearsal ALWAYS prior to the 11:00am mass every Sunday during liturgical year. So basically the choir rehearsal is 3- hours every single week during liturgical year. Isn't choir off in summer for most of churches? I mean the choir off in summer is not particularly a huge benefit from the Cathedral only.

matthewj, yes, I think it is my huge mistake to accept the position without all details :( I thought I asked the parish many questions to clarify my job duties, but now I realize that they were not enough to figure out everything. I gotta get stuck with the cathedral due to contract :( I have another question- if I leave the position before the contract expires and return a part of my moving costs to the Cathedral, would it be enough to avoid any troubles in breaking the contract? Or should I stay until it expires?

No wonder why the Cathedral has asked me for the contract :(

• matthewjmatthewj
    The Cathedral in Phoenix has choral Masses all year long.
  • eft94530eft94530
    hope some organists can comment on the duties and expectations

I am a Parish Organist. Here are my duties:
    52 Thu 1930 pm parish choir rehearsal
    52 Sat 1700 pm Mass cantor or school choir
    52 Sun 0830 am Mass cantor
    52 Sun 1000 am rehearsal
    52 Sun 1100 am Mass parish choir
    10 Thu 1100 am school rehearsal (prep first fri)
    10 Fri 0800 am school Mass (first fri)
    12 Fri 1115 am Organ Concert (first fri)
    12 Fri 1200 nn Benediction (first fri)
    4 Christmas (Eve, Midnight, Dawn, Day)
    4 Lent (Ash Wed, Holy Thu, Good Fri, Holy Sat Morning Prayer)
    4 Holy Days (Jan 1, Aug 15, Nov 1, Dec 8)
    2 Penance Services (Advent, Lent)
    12 Stations of the Cross (Fri 1115 am, 1900 pm)
    2 First Confession (School, Parish)
    2 First Communion (School, Parish)
    1 School Graduation
    ---
    335 calls

Here is my compensation:
    a salary (W-2, 12 hours per week at M-1 midpoint, no benefits);
    a pipe organ (three-manual, 17 rank, supplemented with 12 digital stops);
    a pastor who permits chant and polyphony.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    What is "M-1 midpoint?"
  • BruceL
    eft: you're saying that's considered 12 hrs/wk?
  • eft94530, it seems too much work for 12 hours per week. Looks at least 25 hours per week..Are you music director who wants to hire organist? I think you can adjust in some ways. For examples, either increasing work hours or providing options to miss some additional masses besides regular masses on weekends, etc and paying separately for school masses/ choir? Also your should consider the music levels at your parish. If you do a lot of music in high levels, definitely the organist should spend a lot of time to get ready. Otherwise, it may be difficult to find an organist.

Why do a lot of catholic churches hire organists like this? It seems like many parishes are trying to take advantages of organists. I think I am spoiled at many protestant churches who offer flexible work hours with good salary :)
  • chonakchonak
    I had the impression eft was describing his own workload : an average of 6.4 events / week.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • francis
    I commented on Noels thread about this problem.

Eft has a full time job and is being taken advantage.

This happens a lot because musicians are not thinking of the business of music.

Do not commit without proper compensation.
  • eft94530eft94530
    I edited my post to be more clear.

Regarding M-1, those with sleuthing skills can discover its meaning
    by clicking my photo and reviewing my Discussions or emailing me. :-)

12 hours == (7 hr Rehearsals and Liturgies) + (5 hr Personal Practice)

Yes I am describing my situation as organist.
  • eft94530eft94530
    music in high levels

Please describe or provide composer/title examples.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    music in high levels

Please describe

Eleven.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Spriggo
  • eft94530eft94530
    Hello fellow organists,
    I would appreciate reading about your duties
    and your hour estimates.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Have you put your position through the NPM rubric?

http://www.npm.org/Sections/images/DMMDSalaryGuidelines.pdf
  • Seems to me that eft describes more than 12 hrs work.

I think a distinction needs to be made between organist and organist/director. Being a director and an organist means more hours than organist alone.

My colleague at our parish serves as organ/ accompanist. He is free to choose organ rep and accompany some rehearsals. And he can sing if he chooses to. He is not directing, or recruiting, or planning choral music, making copies, answering emails, etc. All that stuff takes up lots of time.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • francis
    BUT... if one has to be present for all liturgies required and it does not allow for days to be free for other work, then for all intensive purposes that employer is retaining your services whether they use you or not, and that should be part of the contract. That goes for other professions, and should not be looked at differently for organists or musicians.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
    What contract? Our bishop and legal office has dissuaded pastors from having any kind of written contracts.

Thanked by 1eft94530
  • kenstb
    You make a very good point about contracts. In my diocese, pastors not only do not offer written contracts, they avoid professional musicians at all costs. Those of us who make income from various projects such as studio work, composition and concerts apart from our liturgical duties often are more difficult to bargain with because we know the value of our time and commitment to the ministry of music, and we also know the questions to ask when applying for a position. One would think that the church would not take advantage of a prospective employee, but the reality is that as an employer, the parishes seek to get more than they are paying for.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • madorganist
    In the US, an exempt part-time employee must be paid at least $455 per week per the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. In your situation, I believe this means you must receive at least that amount from the church every week, year-round, not including any extra remuneration from the diocese, additional income from weddings, funerals, etc. With that said, if they are basing your salary on AGO or NPM guidelines, those figures do refer to x number of hours worked each week, which includes your personal practice time on the music to be performed for your work. There are very few positions where an organist will work exactly the same number of hours each and every week, so the number of hours must be interpreted as an average.

I recommend that from Palm Sunday through the Saturday after Corpus Christi, you keep a record of your number of hours worked for those 11 weeks, since this is the busiest season of the year. Write down the times when you arrive and leave. Include your practice time, but do not include diocesan services/rehearsals, weddings, or anything else compensated separately. "Clock out" if you have to tend to anything personal (e.g., telephone calls) lasting longer than 15 minutes. On the other hand, if you have to do any work from home, be sure to include that. You might be surprised at the results. See how many hours you're actually working and how that compares to AGO and NPM guidelines - don't forget to factor in the amount for benefits when considering the salary.

I think most organists underestimate the amount of time they spend on administrative duties such as planning and making copies. As far as your boss and Msgr. telling you never to include your personal practice time in your work hours, they are full of excrement. That's work and should be counted and compensated as such. If you don't have a contract, you're free to quit at any time for a better position, and you owe them nothing more than the customary two weeks' notice.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Playing Devil’s advocate with the idea of practice time as work …

It *is* conceivable that an organist would “abuse” his or her practice time by practicing for, say, 30 hours per week just for regular liturgical duties.

I think it’s reasonable for an employer to negotiate with the employee an “expected amount of rehearsal time” and either to factor that into a salary or an “honor system” compensation scheme.

Church music, like any creative work, eludes classifications like “9-5, M-F”. We musicians aren’t like clerical staff, who are productive when they’re there and not productive when they aren’t. Any way you slice it, there’s potential for misuse of the arrangements on either end, though I tend to agree (notwithstanding my bias as a musician) that the disparities tend to favor employers, especially in Catholic churches.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo CHGiffen