"Try these tips to help liven up your Sunday liturgies"
  • G
    US Catholic has the expected take on the subject, a few interesting quotes from Fr Ruff on the "best practices" for worship.
    Who can argue with a plea for good music, good preaching and unity?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • ronkrisman
    Please edit previous comment.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Yikes.
  • CharlesW
    hehehe :-)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    for anyone confused by this:
    Please edit previous comment.

I'm assuming the issue is this
    "best practices" for whorship.

This is an example of a Freudian slip, which is what it's called if you're thinking of one word and you accidentally say your mother.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Heh. An excellent Freudian slip that I'll keep in mind for any future comments about liturgical dance.
  • G
    Profound apologies.

Bad typing skills, honest!

(And com'on you guys, none of you have editing privileges and coulda fixed it?)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • Kathy
    I have been trying very hard not to comment.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Do it Kathy
    Thanked by 4irishtenor CHGiffen Ben G
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I don't disagree with much in that article, actually.
  • Kathy
    Matthew J. The J. stands for Beelzebub.
  • G, this was mean and terrible! I was having a great day preparing for the one year anniversary of Pope Francis' election, and then I read this article...
    ......................................................................................................

That was one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever committed in my life. I almost feel like I need to go to confession after reading that...

I will have to take solace in our parish celebrating its first Solemn High Mass in over 50 years on this happy day.

But seriously G, uncool. Uncool...
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Re preaching: Find some specific point of contact with actual Catholic Church teaching. Don't be afraid to point out that certain activities are or can be sinful, even if the choir is selling bakery after Mass (hint: there's more sin above the neck than below the waist -- not that they ever discuss "below the waist" either.)

Ultimately, though, this is all another instance of "The Mass is all about you.". And... if Jesus walked into your parish, that would be exciting, right? Well, He did.
    I agree that there are some word choices and aspects of this that make the mass too commercial and seem a bit too "consumer focused."

But overall, I agree with much of what it said, and although the mass is not "about us," I don't think it's too much to ask that the preaching and music be good and that mass is actually attractive and makes people WANT to come rather than coming because they HAVE to come.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Andrew Motyka
  • G
    G, this was mean and terrible! I was having a great day preparing for the one year anniversary of Pope Francis' election, and then I read this article... I almost feel like I need to go to confession after reading that...

So that makes me a near occasion of sin?
    I guess I've been called worse ;o)
    That was one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever committed in my life. I almost feel like I need to go to confession after reading that...

Oh, so you didn't watch any of the new network sitcoms this year.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • So that makes me a near occasion of sin?
    I guess I've been called worse ;o)

Nah. It just means I have more work to do on me. ;)
    Oh, so you didn't watch any of the new network sitcoms this year.

Nope! I don't watch the stuff...
  • CharlesW
    Nope! I don't watch the stuff...

Neither do I. People around me talk about those shows and the stars. I have never heard of any of them, and didn't miss a thing.
    There's only one hour of primetime TV that I'm hooked on and watch religiously. I'll never tell what it is, but it occurs around the middle of the week.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I don't suppose it's on Fox, PGA?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
    Oh no I gave that up years ago. I lost interest when the judges revealed that it's not actually about the music. After Simon told a girl "you are an amazing singer, incredibly talented, and you'll go far, but you don't have the image so you're not The American Idol," I was out.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I lost interest when the judges revealed that it's not actually about the music.

I didn't think anyone could go into it thinking it was about the music. It was, is, and will always be about show-biz, and I don't think the show ever pretended otherwise.
  • CharlesW
    I can't believe anyone watches that trash, but numbers indicate that they do.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I just now read the article. Wow. I actually couldn't finish reading it completely. It seems that the author's point can be reduced to this: good liturgy = participation. The author also seems to be encouraging some sort of party atmosphere towards that end: "...lively and active..." sounds like my current principal at the school: she pins everything on two words "...fun and engaging..." which of course can mean different things to different people, so it's really not a standard that can be attained unless we all think alike. "...stop making music dull..." Ok then let us make it beautiful, which as has been discussed on this forum many times is not a subjective term. "Pretty" is the subjective term, but it's not the same thing as "beautiful." Other than that, I'm not sure what else to say at the moment.
  • ghmus7
    As soon as they mentioned "Rebuilt" I tuned out. I guess I am a dinasaour.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • As I mentioned before in other posts, our Parish music director picks "beautiful" music that is fitting to what is going on in the liturgy. No guitars, no drums, none of that... but meshes the traditional with a flavor of quality contemporary hymns that don't sound like they are contemporary (even my parents can't really tell the difference when they visit our Parish), purely using piano (sometimes alongside a cello or violin) and organ. Some are more upbeat, some are more solemn for occasions they should be. Combine with to the point, relevant homilies that don't drag on (both our Priests got this mastered), it really is a good combination.
  • "Try these tips..." reminds me of a chatty copy on one of those magazines you see at the checkout.
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • Any article on this subject that cites theologians heavily instead of parish priests is a waste of time.

And the same for one that quotes parish priests!
  • eft94530eft94530
    My tip is for the priest to stand on the wrong side of the altar for the Eucharistic Prayer.
    Thanked by 3canadash melofluent Ben
  • Steve QSteve Q
    She starts by calling herself a "Vatican II Catholic". I don't know what that means. I don't think I am any less a "Vatican II Catholic" than she is, yet I imagine that my interpretation of Vatican II's teaching is quite different from hers.

I didn't care for the implication that any desire for chant and Latin somehow constitutes a call for a return to "pre-Vatican II" practices. She makes it sound as if Vatican II actually eliminated chant and Latin from the liturgy.

When she states, "some Catholics went in the opposite direction and called for a return to the pre-Vatican II Mass." I don't know who she is talking about. In all my travels, I have rarely encountered anyone who is literally calling for a return to the "pre-Vatican II" mass - except for a few radicals who actually believe that Vatican II was a heresy. Of course, there are those who support the EF as a legitimate and beautiful form of the liturgy, but I don't equate that with a return to pre-Vatican II. Am I wrong?
  • BenBen
    I'm a Vatican II catholic too. I want to see the latin liturgy, pipe organ, and gregorian chant have pride of place, as Vatican II asked for.
  • To of sorts plagiarize a learned twentieth century mind, "If Vatican II fails, it won't be because it was tried and found wanting, but that it was never tried." Was Benedict XVI the only one who ever truly and seriously studied the documents?
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • eft94530eft94530
    Next time someone quotes from Sacrosanctum Concilium
    I want the text to come from a paragraph numbered 15 or higher.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood bonniebede