Unique Mass Setting Request
  • Hello all!

Does anyone know or have a Mass setting which can be sung by the congregation either entirely in Spanish or entirely in English and which basically (more or less) has the same melody for either? To be clear, I'm not talking about a bilingual Mass Ordinary which alternates inside itself, but which can be sung using the same tune in either language. A special request from my pastor. I'm especially looking for alternatives to the usual OCP stuff. Timeliness is key.

Thanks!

• melofluentmelofluent
    I don't know if the usual OCP means, like, Hurd's "Missa pueblo de immigrante" or the newer "Missa Santa Cecilia," (both of which meet those criteria) but Fr. Krisman has a 2010 bilingual setting from GIA that has been done here in CenCA.
  • francis
    I can compose one in a couple of days. PM me if you are interested.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    There's several that meet that criteria in GIA's new hymnal Oramos Cantando.

There is also a VERY simple chant setting in St. Michael 4th edition--only 3 notes. Maybe not the type of setting one would want for Sunday Masses, but for weekday Masses with no organist it could work.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There's several that meet that criteria in GIA's new hymnal Oramos Cantando.

Yeah, that's the first place I'd look. And - moreover - if you are in a parish that needs this sort of thing a lot, I'd that hymnal. (The parish I grew up in was a bilingual community, and I wish we had had that resource 15 years ago.)
  • Add this to the growing list of threads in which I shill for the Psallite Mass. Do it yourself; don't listen to the promo recordings, which make a good setting sound like 80s claptrap.

It's harmonized chant in English, Latin, or Spanish. Good stuff.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Kolar's Misa Luna (WLP) has full sets of both Spanish and English text.
  • kenstb
    Francis, I love your solution! Composing one myself would have been how I would solve the problem. Unfortunately, I would need more than a couple days.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    +1 for the Psallite Mass. I had forgotten it was in Spanish as well. Fantastic setting.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • Thanks, all!
  • I'm also glad to know that not every Spanish Mass HAS TO HAVE the typical am, GM, FM, EM chordal pattern! (Seems a little stereotypical to me.)
  • francis
    Second thought, I just remembered, I am avoiding vernacular settings. What was I thinking! Mea Culpa.
  • ronkrisman
    I'm also glad to know that not every Spanish Mass HAS TO HAVE the typical am, GM, FM, EM chordal pattern!

I think you are confusing every Spanish Mass with Kiko Argüello's "Resucitó."
  • Kathy
    Also Mass of the Americas' Santo
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think you are confusing every Spanish Mass with Kiko Argüello's "Resucitó."

That was a common confusion among people who did the music for Spanish Masses in my area growing up.

(And another reason I'm grateful for your work on the new hymnal...)