• matthewjmatthewj
    Perhaps we could have this thread be for Music Directors who need to know Spanish, but are not yet very fluent. Feel free to place your questions (and especially your answers) here.

I will begin.

This:
    "Vi brotar agua del lado derecho del templo, aleluya. Vi que en todos aquellos que recibían el agua, surgía una vida nueva y cantaban con gozo: Aleluya, aleluya."
    Is the Vidi Aquam, right? Are there any errors in it?

But I can't anywhere find the Spanish version of the verse for the Vidi Aquam:
    Confitemini Domino, quoniam bonus: quoniam in saeculum misericordia ejus. / Worship the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy is forever.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    It looks like it. It roughly translates from Spanish as: "I saw water from the right side of the temple, Alleluia. I saw that a new life surges through all who received the water and they sang with joy: alleluia, alleluia."
    For the last part, I would go this route in Spanish: "Adorar el Señor, porque bueno es: su piedad es para siempre."
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is that what's in the Spanish Missal or your own translation?
    That's my translation: I speak Spanish, but I don't have access to a Spanish Missal.
  • My Spanish Missal doesn't have the verse either, but to borrow from another source, the Spanish Lectionary, Psalm 118 (which is the verse) reads:

Den gracias al Señor porque es bueno, porque es eterna su misericordia.

That's what I would go with if I were using it.
  • ronkrisman
    @matthewj has the correct text of the antiphon. @Andrew has the correct text of psalm 117 (118), 1.

The psalter approved for use in Spanish-language liturgical books in the USA is that of the Conferencia Episcopal Española, usually abbreviated as the "salterio de la CEE." But the USA text is, at times, slightly altered from the one used in Spain to remove Castilianisms. The actual text from Spain begins: "Dad gracias al Señor..." The second person plural familiar form of the imperative is not used by the great majority of Spanish speakers in the USA, so those forms are changed to the formal. In this case, Den...

I would add, for composers setting the texts, that Spanish speakers will almost always elide the two "porque es" in the verse to become two syllables each: por-que_es And the "que en" in the antiphon will probably also be elided to become one syllable: que_en
  • matthewjmatthewj
    In my case, we'll be singing the Latin text, so the translation is just for a program. Therefore it doesn't technically have to be the correct translation, but that's what I'll use.

Thank you for your assistance in this. I'm sure I'll have more questions moving forward.
  • BruceL
    Friends, We have a priest who has passed and was in Hispanic ministry...he requested "Quedate Junto a Nosotros": I get what it is, the basic text, but could use some help tweaking the Google Translate output...not to mention my workmanlike translation skills are pretty limited. Anyone want to give it a shot?

Estribillo
    Quédate junto a nosotros,
    que la tarde está cayendo;
    pues sin ti a nuestro lado
    nada hay justo, nada hay bueno.

1. Caminamos solos por nuestro camino
    cuando vemos a la vera un peregrino;
    nuestros ojos, ciegos de tanto penar,
    se nos llenan de vida, se nos llenan de paz.

2. Buen amigo, quédate a nuestro lado,
    pues el día ya sin luces se ha quedado;
    con nosotros quédate para cenar,
    y comparte mi mesa y comparte mi pan.

3. Tus palabras fueron la luz de mi espera
    y nos diste una fe más verdadera;
    al sentarnos junto a ti para cenar,
    conocimos quién eras al partirnos el pan.
  • ronkrisman
    @BruceL: If the assembly is going to be singing this, you should add the elision marks which I have marked in bold.
    Estribillo
    Quédate junto_a nosotros,
    que la tarde_está cayendo;
    pues sin ti a nuestro lado
    nada_hay justo, nada_hay bueno.

Estrofas
    1. Caminamos solos por nuestro camino
    cuando vemos a la vera_un peregrino;
    nuestros ojos, ciegos de tanto penar,
    se nos llenan de vida, se nos llenan de paz.

2. Buen amigo, quédate_a nuestro lado,
    pues el día ya sin luces se_ha quedado;
    con nosotros quédate para cenar,
    y comparte mi mesa y comparte mi pan.

3. Tus palabras fueron la luz de mi_espera
    y nos diste una fe más verdadera;
    al sentarnos junto_a ti para cenar,
    conocimos quién eras al partirnos el pan.

The text and music are by Emilio Vicente Mateú of Spain. OCP administers the copyright in the USA. The text is based on the Gospel account of the disciples on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35). My translation is not intended for singing.
    Refrain
    Stay together with us
    because the evening is falling;
    for without you at our side
    nothing is right, nothing is good.

Verses
    1. We were walking alone
    when we saw a pilgrim beside the road;
    our eyes, blinded by our pain,
    were filled with life, filled with peace.

2. Good friend, stay at our side,
    for the day has already run its course;
    stay and dine with us,
    share my table and share my bread.

3. Your words were the light of my hope,
    and you gave us a faith most true;
    when we sat next to you for dinner,
    we knew who you were in the breaking of the bread.
  • BruceL
    Thanks Father: no, solo in this case. Not sure how many Hispanic worshipers we'll have as the funeral is (unfortunately for them) at noon on Monday. The text is nice, even if I'm not a big fan of "liturgical boleros". We have the OCP license (I found this in Flor y Canto), too, but thanks for the reminder!

I appreciate the translation, especially. We do a fairly large percentage of Latin and "second languages" on a weekly basis, but I can't imagine programming without a translation in the order of worship. I've sung in a choir that, while the music was exceptional, director excellent, no time in rehearsal was given to the text and translations (in that case, Tudor motets): I was astounded! Not in the best way.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is there a place online where I can go to find the Psalms in Spanish that can be sung at the Catholic Mass? I know where to find the readings, but sometimes one needs a Psalm verse for a proper that is not found in the readings for Mass...

So... either show me a website where I can find that (and teach me how to fish), or just give me some fish and tell me the right Spanish for this verse from Psalm 67 (66):

"So will your ways be known upon earth
    and all nations learn your salvation."
  • ronkrisman
    matthewj, you can find some most of the CEE psalms in this online PDF:

http://catholic-resources.org/Formation/Diurnal_Salterio.pdf

However, as I stated above, the USA's version of the CEE psalms will contain some editing of the text. Best to wait until the appearance of the new Spanish-language Leccionario for the USA.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford