Hymn for Feet Washing
  • At my current music post, we are not in a position to do any chant settings of the antiphons for the Washing of Feet on Holy Thursday. Can anyone suggest a good hymn for that ceremony?
    I am trying to replace contemporary, pop style pieces which have been used in the past. We don't have time to learn anthems or chants to fill the time, and there is pressure to have something congregational.
    Is there a hymn that would be appropriate, or maybe even paraphrases John 15/the gregorian antiphons?
    Or is anyone willing to versify those texts so that we could sing them to a familiar hymn tune?

Any advice would be most helpful.
  • Liam
    Well, for starters, there's Where Charity And Love Prevail. Can be done a cappella, or with American shape-note descants or pedal countermelody.
  • CharlesW
    In the years before we were able to use actual chants for foot washing, we used "The Servant Song." If more time was needed, we put in another hymn or two. Now we only sing the Rice chants for foot washing. We had to repeat the verses last year, but so what?
  • In past years, I've used Ubi Caritas and What Wondrous Love Is This.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    For the past two years we have employed forum member Heath Morber's exquisite THE WISDOM OF GOD.
  • Gather Australia has "A New Commandment" for the washing of the feet. You should be able to get it through GIA as I don't think it appears in the US editions of the Gather Hymnal.

"The Servant Song" is suitable, but one has to be careful not to let the tempo get away. It is very easy for it to speed up because of the runs of notes up and down.

"Ubi Caritas" is proper to the Offertory for Holy Thursday.

Perhaps "Jesus, Meek and Lowly" would be also suitable?

Have you considered using the antiphon in "By Flowing Waters?" The text is the same as the first hymn that I mentioned: "A new commandment I give you: Love one another as I have loved you." followed by Psalm 119 (118)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I know you said you didn't want chant...
    But, I just can't help myself.
    If you can do a R&A Psalm, you can do Antiphon 6...

http://illuminarepublications.com/downloads/cantor-scores/the-washing-of-feet.pdf
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • I wrote this setting a few years ago; it's pretty easy for a choir.

This year, our choir is using the new composition, Mandatum, by Peter Latona (of National Shrine fame). GIA has it, and it's beautiful.
    Thanked by 1afries52