The Liturgical War of the Roses
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Wow. I just looked at Rorate Caeli, and another well-known liturgist is waving the white flag and has given up on the "Liturgical Thirty Years' War." Dom Mark Kirby, who has spent the last few decades "having taught and defended the Novus Ordo Missae to the best of my ability" has joined Fr. Kocik in publicly abandoning the so-called "Reform of the Reform" movement.

I really like Fr. Kirby's apt analogy:

I respect those priests and layfolk who continue to believe in “the reform of the reform”. I honour their devotion and perseverance but, from where I stand and at this point in my life, I think their energy misplaced. Life is short. I can no longer advise others to devote the most productive years of their life to patching up a building that was, manifestly, put up with haste during a boom in frenzied construction; it has shifting foundations, poor insulation, defective fixtures, and a leaky roof. Right next door, there is another old house, comely, solidly built, and in good repair. It may need a minor adjustment here or there, but it is a house in which one feels at home and in which it is good to live, and it is there that I choose to live out my days. If others choose to live in the “fix–up” next door, I can only wish them well, confident that we can live as good neighbours all the same, with frequent chats over the fence in the back garden, exchanging insights, and perhaps even learning something from one another.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 Jenny
  • JulieColl, this public expression of heartfelt lamentation surely was preceded by some serious interior wrestling?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, indeed, Expeditus. Sounds like the last few decades have been very difficult for Don Kirby:

I shall never forget the anguish generated by trying to invent new psalm tones suited to the vernacular, all the while clinging desperately in my heart to the chants of the Antiphonale Monasticum that had taken root there. Memories of the traditional liturgy persisted, through the winter of my discontent, like the lovely blossoms of the crocus, in trying to pierce the frozen crust that had been laid over my hortus conclusus.

This personally rings a bell with me. A priest friend of mine is a former Benedictine chantmaster who related to me several years ago his own heartbreaking experience trying to translate Gregorian chant to English---an effort at which he labored mightily for a number of years before informing his superiors it just could not be done.

P.S. Is that what they call a Sisyphean labor?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Julie, this isn't really news, Ed Schaefer made the same declaration and move years ago, but it was quieter and not taken up by blogdom. And CMAA'er (which also includeds Kirby and Schaefer) Peter Kwasniewski got a lot of attention with a similar screed at NLM a week or so ago; even PTB scoffed at it.
    In a way, as sympathetic as one can be to the truth of the sentiment, decision and public declaration, there's a sort of Mr. Spock-like logic at play that does divide catholicism in principle, and defines its full expression in this world to the principles of that logic. People "get in the way" of this sort of self-revelation, unfortunately.
    I've always thought that Mahrt represents the most sympathetic position in this dilemma, because his art is precluded by his Christian-Catholic demeanor, and acceptance of reality not on its own terms, but as a challenge to evangelise.
    PS. Kudos to Ben Yanke for posting a response by Bp. Peter Elliott at NLM to the above examples.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Dear Melofluous, I want to thank you for your comments, and I want to let you know that I admire you for what you and so many wonderful, sincere, zealous, eminent, brilliant and admirable people are trying to do, although it is, in my opinion, ultimately a losing proposition. However, it is not my opinion that I'm interested in or enamored of, but rather those far more learned than I could ever be.

So, I'd like to leave you with one question, posed with all the respect, courtesy and Christian-Catholic demeanor I can possibly muster up:

Is it possible Cardinal Josef Ratzinger did not have the proper attitude towards the reformed liturgy based on his well-known comments below?

1) "One cannot manufacture a liturgical movement ... but one can help contribute to its development by striving to reassimilate the spirit of the liturgy and by defending publicly what one has thus received ... What happened after the Council was something else entirely: in the place of liturgy as the fruit of development came fabricated liturgy. We abandoned the organic, living process of growth and development over centuries, and replaced it-- as in a manufacturing process -- with a fabrication, a banal on-the-spot product." Cardinal Josef Ratzinger from the preface of the book "The Reform of the Roman Rite" by Msgr. Klaus Gamber

2) "I am convinced that the ecclesial crisis in which we find ourselves today depends in great part upon the collapse of the liturgy, which at times is actually being conceived of etsi Deus non daretur: as though in the liturgy it did not matter any more whether God exists and whether He speaks to us and listens to us.

"But if in the liturgy the communion of faith no longer appears, nor the universal unity of the Church and of her history, nor the mystery of the living Christ, where is it that the Church still appears in her spiritual substance?," ( From My Life: Remembrances 1927-1977.)

3) “It is also worth observing here that the ‘creativity’ involved in manufactured liturgies has a very restricted scope. It is poor indeed compared with the wealth of the received liturgy in its hundreds and thousands of years of history. Unfortunately, the originators of homemade liturgies are slower to become aware of this than the participants…” (Feast of Faith p. 67-68)
  • rich_enough
    . . Fr. Kocik in publicly abandoning the so-called "Reform of the Reform" movement. . .

As the comments at this NLM post make clear, the RotR movement can mean different things to different people.

What Fr. Kocik is abandoning is the OF as the basis for any long-term and permanent liturgical reform. This doesn't mean (pace Bishop Peter Elliott) that he will no longer work for an improvement in the way the OF is celebrated, or that he thinks that such efforts are not worth it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Julie, I can only respond with official document excerpts that Pope Ratzinger obviously addresses in toto the concerns raised by these latest critical declarations. I expect that these will be taken at face value, and not framed within lenses that suggest a tactical objective that His Holiness might have had by the mention of Abp. Levebre. Short of that, I see things as does Bp. Elliott. And, for the record, I trust you didn’t take my earlier mention of Christian-Catholic as veiled snark, as it wasn’t so intended.
    This fear is unfounded. In this regard, it must first be said that the Missal published by Paul VI and then republished in two subsequent editions by John Paul II, obviously is and continues to be the normal Form – the Forma ordinaria – of the Eucharistic Liturgy. The last version of the Missale Romanum prior to the Council, which was published with the authority of Pope John XXIII in 1962 and used during the Council, will now be able to be used as a Forma extraordinaria of the liturgical celebration. It is not appropriate to speak of these two versions of the Roman Missal as if they were “two Rites”. Rather, it is a matter of a twofold use of one and the same rite...
    Your charity and pastoral prudence will be an incentive and guide for improving these. For that matter, the two Forms of the usage of the Roman Rite can be mutually enriching: new Saints and some of the new Prefaces can and should be inserted in the old Missal. The “Ecclesia Dei” Commission, in contact with various bodies devoted to the usus antiquior, will study the practical possibilities in this regard. The celebration of the Mass according to the Missal of Paul VI will be able to demonstrate, more powerfully than has been the case hitherto, the sacrality which attracts many people to the former usage. The most sure guarantee that the Missal of Paul VI can unite parish communities and be loved by them consists in its being celebrated with great reverence in harmony with the liturgical directives. This will bring out the spiritual richness and the theological depth of this Missal.
    Summorum Pontificum, Letter to Fellow Bishops. 7-7-07
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • chonakchonak
    The piece appeared first on Dom Mark's blog Vultus Christi, which is always a good place to visit for spiritual reading.
  • There are convincing aspects to the preference for the EF asserted here on behalf of Dom Mark et al. The conclusions, though, would not likely pass muster under the lens of rational philosophical proof. And, there are highly subjective biases in the assertions concerning the success with which Gregorian chant can be adapted to English. As one who has sung this chant in English and Latin all his Anglican life and into his Anglican Use Catholic life, I find such proclamations rather absurd. The root of them is in the (no doubt sincerely-held) conviction that the mass can be celebrated genuinely and in its fullness only with Latin. This, too, is absurd, as both Anglicans and Orthodox well know; not to mention quite a few Catholics who worship with all purity of heart with the OF in its English translation. These dicta are arrogant and proudfully judgmental. Having said all that, I should stress that I love Latin and use it frequently - but it isn't ontologically superior to good hieratic English as a vehicle for worship.

There is no doubt that the EF, whether celebrated high or low, is (with the best of intentions and the absence of mere nostalgia) a more genuine act of worship than the OF in its all-too-common pop-rock-happy-clappy versions. There is also no doubt that the OF celebrated with equal solemnity is lacking nothing of spiritual value, nor is it inherently a shoddily built substitute for the 'old familiar house'. What is wrong with it is not it itself, but the people who think pop music and Ed Sullivan liturgists are representative of 'modern' Catholic worship.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for this, Melo, but I don't see where in this passage Pope Benedict retracts his earlier criticisms of the Novus Ordo, although he says the two forms of the Roman Rite can be mutually enriching.

I also fail to understand where Arbp. Lefebrve enters into this so therefore I still maintain these words taken from then-Cardinal Ratzinger's autobiography are of particular note: "I am convinced that the ecclesial crisis in which we find ourselves today depends in great part upon the collapse of the liturgy . . . "

Seems to me that this is pretty tough talk, and if two prominent former staunch advocates of the Reform of the Reform have basically publicly affirmed Pope Benedict's view and have given up on their former decades-long liturgical renewal projects, then perhaps that is news.

I believe this development is significant in this regard: it makes it more difficult to perpetuate the theory that the two forms of the Roman rite share a certain "dynamic equivalence."

And how does that impact church musicians? It means that if the probability has increased that the OF is theologically/superior inferior, then OF church musicians must work harder than ever to make up for that deficiency and must borrow as many elements from the EF as possible to prop up the shaky underpinnings of the Novus Ordo (in lieu of any further legislation, that is.)

EF church musicians, on the other hand, if they are honest, must be willing to admit that the preconciliar model of the traditional Latin Mass is a hard sell for the average PIP, and should take on the challenge of discovering what aspects of the Conciliar reform can, as Pope Benedict recommended, be used to enrich their celebrations.

So, I take this development as good news on all fronts and see it as an opening to more honest and therefore more fruitful dialogue between proponents of the two Forms.
  • rich_enough
    @M. Jackson Osborn -
    It isn't a question of some "ontological" superiority of Latin or the EF (that it's somehow "better" than the Eastern rites), or the purity of heart with which people may worship in various forms, but which form of the rite (EF or OF) more fully embodies the tradition of the Latin church. On that score, a very solid argument can be made for the "superiority" of the EF.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Julie, you don't really have to preach to this choir, I'm sold on the EF. Problem is, as Bp. Elliott has outlined quite cogently, the 99% of one billion RC's who presently and likely for many decades to come, are likely never to be engaged in a necessary catechesis over the construct and implementation of the only rite they've ever known, whether intrinsically inorganic or hijacked or whatever. They just might, and this is my experience, come to appreciate through right practice and adjustments that are made locally according to local timelines, refinements in the execution of those same rituals and attendanct ars celebrandi. Think of it as the reverse of a frog not noticing his slow demise in a kettle of steadily upboiling water.
    If I remember, you minister at the console at the EF in a cemetery chapel. I manage the music ministry of a four parish merge inwhich the OF is exclusively celebrated (not likely to change for obvious reasons.) Our perspectives don't depend upon our perches on the power lines, but they are informed by them.
    What's to talk about, this "fruitful dialogue" you speak of, with the ongoing demands that are codified in SP and their respective GIRMs?
    It seems to me that we can talk ourselves into opposing corners and quarters, but never consensus. YMobviouslyV
  • For many of us who are just parish musicians, we've just got to get on with the job. At the coalface, we're doing well if the parish sings traditional hymns and may some basic gregorian chants. It's up to the clergy to choose the missal prayers. It would be fantastic if they would always use the Roman Canon, especially on Sunday masses, but as an average layman, I don't really have much influence in the area.

I've often told people that I don't really care if we have the OF or EF liturgy, as long as we do our best to do it properly and either way, I satisfy my Sunday obligation and hopefully my work in liturgical music will go some way into nourishing the souls of the faithful.
  • I have the utmost respect for the thought of Dom Mark, so this is interesting to me. Kudos to him for the courage it takes to reveal these things, and risk alienation from fellow priests.

If more like him were to become public about their liturgical struggles and mature preference for the EF, I think it might bear good fruit.

Speaking of bearing good fruit, I agree with Chonak that the blog "vultus Christi" is an excellent source of mediation and inspiration.
    Thanked by 2kenstb Jenny
  • chonakchonak
    (I'd say that even if I didn't host it on my server.)
  • francis
    I once did, but will no longer compose for the English ordinary or the propers. It supports the 'multi-cultural' and 'diversity' divide that continues to insert itself into the Catholic (remember, UNIVERSAL) Church. Do not fool yourself: the collapse of the liturgy is synonymous with the collapse of the Faith; they are intimately and tightly intertwined.

I said it years ago, and will continue to say it. You are dreaming if you think the OF will supplant or grow beside the EF. That thinking gives support and bolsters a false confidence and misguided hope in a non-organic, fabricated liturgical milieu.

Kudos to those who will stand for that fact.
  • francis
    ...and this is simply mind-blowing:

"In present conditions, what words or melodies could replace the forms of Catholic devotion which you have used until now? You should reflect and carefully consider whether things would not be worse, should this fine inheritance be discarded. It is to be feared that the choral office would turn into a mere bland recitation, suffering from poverty and begetting weariness, as you yourselves would perhaps be the first to experience. One can also wonder whether men would come in such numbers to your churches in quest of the sacred prayer, if its ancient and native tongue, joined to a chant full of grave beauty, resounded no more within your walls. We therefore ask all those to whom it pertains, to ponder what they wish to give up, and not to let that spring run dry from which, until the present, they have themselves drunk deep.
    Of course, the Latin language presents some difficulties, and perhaps not inconsiderable ones, for the new recruits to your holy ranks. But such difficulties, as you know, should not be reckoned insuperable. This is especially true for you, who can more easily give yourselves to study, being more set apart from the business and bother of the world. Moreover, those prayers, with their antiquity, their excellence, their noble majesty, will continue to draw to you young men and women, called to the inheritance of our Lord. On the other hand, that choir from which is removed this language of wondrous spiritual power, transcending the boundaries of the nations, and from which is removed this melody proceeding from the inmost sanctuary of the soul, where faith dwells and charity burns – We speak of Gregorian chant – such a choir will be like to a snuffed candle, which gives light no more, no more attracts the eyes and minds of men.
    In any case, beloved Sons, the requests mentioned above concern such grave matters that We are unable to grant them, or to derogate now from the norms of the Council and of the Instructions noted above. Therefore we earnestly beseech you that you would consider this complex question under all its aspects. From the good will which we have toward you, and from the good opinion which we have of you, We are unwilling to allow that which could make your situation worse, and which could well bring you no slight loss, and which would certainly bring a sickness and sadness upon the whole Church of God. Allow Us to protect your interests, even against your own will. It is the same Church which has introduced the vernacular into the sacred liturgy for pastoral reasons, that is, for the sake of people who do not know Latin, which gives you the mandate of preserving the age-old solemnity, beauty and dignity of the choral office, in regard both to language, and to the chant.
    Obey, then, these prescriptions sincerely and calmly. It is not an excessive love of old ways that prompts them. They derive, rather, from Our fatherly love for you, and from Our concern for divine worship."

Pope Paul VI, in writing Sacrificium Laudis to the superiors of clerical religious of men in August 1966
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    Good old Paul VI. He often talked about the "smoke of Satan" entering the church. It was Paul VI who held the door open for the cloven-hoofed one to enter. He talked a good show, then did everything he could to minimize and sweep under the rug any good effects from what he said. For those who dismiss or condemn the NO liturgy, remember that it is the liturgy of Paul VI.
  • We had this discussion over at Pray Tell recently.

Reform of the Reform or not, call it what you want - I'm just going to keep doing the mass as I believe documents call for it.

I really don't care about lace vestments or altar candles, or the priest saying mass with his back to the people. I'm not going to wage a campaign to stop those things, because I think they're perfectly fine, but if someone doesn't want them (including "someone" who is the Pope,) that's fine with me.

I'm not much a fan of the Latin mass. I'm not vehemently against it, and I've offered music on a couple of occasions for them when requested to do so. I would be willing to do so again when requested.

In fact, the people in my parish might be surprised to hear me say that, since I regularly use Gregorian chants, in Latin, for the Introit and Communion, and regularly use Latin motets. But for me, it's about doing mass as Vatican II called for it.

So keep the reform of the reform - or don't. Until legislation comes out changing the documents, specifically the parts that call for chant and Latin and the organ, I'm going to keep advancing in this direction.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    +1, PGA
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Dear Melo, far be it from me to create division where none exists and paint myself and others into opposing corners. Considering the current state of affairs that would be highly counter-productive and would defeat the purpose of this admirable forum where real peace and harmony exists between EF and OF musicians and demonstrates that our worlds often overlap. If there is any place in the Church where "mutual enrichment between the two forms" takes place everyday, it's right here!

My only difference with you is that I object to your characterization of Dom Kirby's declaration as not being news. It might not be earth-shattering, I agree, but I believe it is a much-needed philosophical mid-course correction yielding rich future dividends.

The atmosphere has changed because of the two recent high-profile defections from the ROTR, and already I can feel a fresh wind blowing. I feel like I can lay more of my theological/philosophical cards on the table and begin to talk turkey in a way that wasn't possible even a week ago.

A week ago I was tempted to suggest that a comparative study be made between Arbp. Bugnini's definition of the Mass and the definition of the Mass from the Council of Trent and discuss what implications that has for us as church musicians since "lex credendi legem supplicandi statuat" but my courage failed me. I wouldn't be afraid to suggest that now. (Well, maybe I'm still a little afraid.) : )
  • Well Julie my only fear is what they mean when they say "Reform of the Reform."

Everyone talks past each other. When they say they are abandoning the Reform of the Reform, do they mean that they will stop trying to turn the mass into the EF Latin mass? Or do they mean that they are saying "Here, by all means, use the bongos. Do you need help transforming any show tunes into liturgical pieces of music? Because I'm going to the EF Latin mass, you do as you please!"

The first would be a good thing. The second would be a shame, and decidedly not in accord with Church teaching on Liturgy.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    PGA, I can't speak for Dom Kirby obviously, but I confess that I'm guilty of sometimes thinking the second option you list above. I am a former OF Catholic, if you want to call it that, and to expand on Dom Kirby's metaphorical langauge, at a certain point, when we could feel the foundation getting wobbly and felt like the smoke was getting a little thick, we bailed out of the Novus Ordo with our family and headed for the TLM, but that doesn't mean I don't have the greatest respect and admiration for OF liturgists and musicians who are, like heroic first responders, still in the burning building trying to save those who remain trapped in it.

Whether or not they can save the building is another question entirely, and I don't know exactly what those outside the building can do to help, except with our prayers and good will, and cheering you on.

That's not to say that over in our metaphorical EF building things are perfect. I'm not saying that at all, and I think Dom Kirby also mentioned something along those lines. I have always believed that much remains in the most current and detailed legislation on the EF (the 1957 De musica sacra) which has never been implemented. How about starting with the degrees of participation which I've always maintained were not just suggestions, but more like mandates?
  • Well this is precisely the objection that I have to the mindset of many EF adherents: I do not believe that I'm in a burning building and that people need to be extracted from it. I do not believe that I'm heroic. There's nothing wrong with the Novus Ordo mass; there's been problems in people's fidelity to Liturgical norms over the years, but I don't think that the mass itself should be fled from.

Would you have left the OF if you had found, say a nice Cathedral or parish church that only used organ based hymnody coupled with choral motets and Gelineau Psalmody?
  • rich_enough
    But for me, it's about doing mass as Vatican II called for it.

This is precisely what's at issue.

Just so were not talking past each other.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It was so comfortable and nice in the old days the ROTR was an assembly language instruction (ROTate Right) for low-level computer programming. We also had ROTL (ROTate Left) which in these times(?) might mean Reform Of The Liturgy (or Laity?, or Lutherans?).

Or perhaps ROTR could acquire the new meaning Reform Of The Right, to matcha new meaning for ROTL, Reform Of The Left. But wait, that might be seen as political instead of religious/liturgical.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I object to your characterization of Dom Kirby's declaration as not being news.

Julie, I'm sorry that we quibble over the scope. Kocik's/Kwasniewski's/Kirby's/Schaefer's et al's (see what I did there, Adam?) announcements are not up to the "Man bites dog" level of headlines; they are personal confessions that benefit us all, as you indicate, should we self-assess, emphasis upon "self."
    I am a former OF Catholic, if you want to call it that, and to expand on Dom Kirby's metaphorical langauge, at a certain point, when we could feel the foundation getting wobbly and felt like the smoke was getting a little thick, we bailed out of the Novus Ordo with our family and headed for the TLM, but that doesn't mean I don't have the greatest respect and admiration for OF liturgists and musicians who are, like heroic first responders, still in the burning building trying to save those who remain trapped in it.

Now, I won't say I object to the above, but it is both astonishing to read and self-contradictory. Could you please cite something from CCC or the two creeds where a heirarchy of "Catholic" is outlined and lauded? Are you forecasting true schism with the Pauline hyperbole? Are we "first responders" at once both heroic and apostate?
    Can you help me, please? I can't tell who the heretics are without a scorecard.
    O gosh, I forgot, we don't have the scorecard according to Mt. 25. Not snarky, just illustrative.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Okay, dear friends, let's just take a deep breath, and I would just like to clarify where I'm coming from lest you get the wrong impression.

Lest anyone think I'm a radical ideologue, my husband many years ago had the great joy and privilege of visiting Msgr. Richard Schuler at St. Agnes because he was so impressed with Msgr. Schuler's tapes of his choral Masses. These were OF Masses, but as anyone who is familiar with St. Agnes in MN knows, they are carried out with not only the greatest solemnity, but with great musical and artistic beauty.

My husband stayed, at the invitation of Msgr. Schuler, in the rectory and was in fact offered a job as a music teacher in the school. To this day, he remembers with great fondness the incredible power and beauty of those Masses. Even though this was 30 years ago, to this day, if he had the opportunity to experience a Mass like that, he would gladly do it.

I too share his feelings because I too had the opportunity growing up in Denver to attend at Holy Ghost Church a weekly sung Novus Ordo in Latin in similar fashion to St. Agnes in MN.

Vatican II was right on the money in calling for a "all lawful rites to be preserved" and calling for both the preservation of Gregorian chant and the Church's "treasury of sacred music" to be preserved.

As we all know, precisely because these mandates of the Council have not been largely implemented, Cardinal Ratzinger called for "a liturgical reconciliation" and publicly lamented the fact that the crisis in the Church is due in large part "due to the collapse of the liturgy."

So, in closing, my husband and I are in full agreement with the wisdom and practice of both the great Pope Benedict XVI and with Msgr. Richard Schuler and wish that their vision for the liturgy and sacred music were what was practiced universally in the Church. If we have to avail ourselves of a lawful EF option as the best means of passing on our liturgical heritage to our children, it seems to me that anyone should be able to accept the type of legitimate diversity and plurality that Holy Mother Church affords us.

Finally, if someone wants to accuse me of calling anyone a heretic or an apostate, or of saying anything unorthodox or uncharitable, then please cite for me the specific words I said to merit such an unwarranted charge and I will retract them.
  • I'm with PaixGloria...I'm sticking to what I do until I'm told to stop. My parishioners have not complained a bit since re-introducing the Introit and Communion Propers. They really enjoy singing the ICEL "Chant Mass" in Latin and others in English. I don't do "higgly-wiggly" music and our Masses seem , at least to me, a bit more dignified than some others at our parish. Maybe that's why the attendance is increasing at the masses I play for. ????
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Julie, I didn't "accuse" you of anything. Your rhetoric begged conclusions I don't for a moment think you intended. That's all.
  • My parishioners have not complained a bit since re-introducing the Introit and Communion Propers.

I know mine would in a heartbeat, but that's probably due to the fact that there is a parish down the road where the "higgly wiggly" type of music is done on a regular basis. Many of our parishioners are travelers and only come to our church every so often. Many of those travelers go to the other parish I mentioned when they are not at ours.

I say it short and sweet: the issue is PREFERENCE. Somehow, PREFERENCE has become part of liturgy and it should not be.
  • chonakchonak
    That's one of the refreshing things about attending an Eastern Divine Liturgy: the propers are there, they are sung (whether simply or fully), and no one would think of singing some songs from an outside source.
  • I think that a pot of liturgical problems have much older roots than we would assume. In many places such as the USA and Australia, the Irish low mass has left a huge impression on the way we think of the mass. Get in, say it quickly and disappear before the English come in and bust us.

The reality is that in many parishes, not a lot fundamentally changed after Vatican II. We had had the 4-hymn sandwich at low mass for some time already and congregations were used to it. Very few places sang chant at all, certainly very few suburban parishes. Many places had a missa cantata once a month or only for the main Sunday morning mass.

If we all did the mass the way that Vatican II called for there would be less tension and less complaints.

The reform and return camps of liturgy have a hell of a lot in common and should get along better than they do.
  • I read the same thing about the Irish Mass in Thomas Days book Why Catholics can't Sing. He also states that it has something to do with the "out with the old in with the new" attitude from the 60s and 70s.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • Look again at Charles' quote of Pope Benedict XVI: "consists in its being celebrated with great reverence in harmony with the liturgical directives."
  • CharlesW
    Hartleymartin, our former German pastor of 38 years tenure used to say, "The Irish ruined the church in America."
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "The Irish ruined the church in America." Well, that's what Thomas Day said.
    The other day I was reading a book on the publishing firms of W. C. Peters, and encountered the claim that up to the Civil War, 2/3 of the parishes in the US had NO MUSIC AT ALL. Granted, a number of those parishes were on the frontier, but I still find it an incredible statistic (and I'm going back to give it the hairy eyeball). No hymns, no old-style chant... Low Mass day after day. Not even a broken-down square piano in the corner (which must have been the accompaniment as often as not, given how rare it is for early American Catholic music prints to specify "organ"). So when you start from there, there's farther to go to get to the conciliar ideal (which was really sort of an unfunded mandate.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Spot on Jeffrey.
    Add to that the historical bias that around that era of P10's motu things "cultural, political and economic" were truly Euro-centric despite centuries of colonialization. So, St. Pius' concerns were doubtless focused upon the "axis" regions where Romance Mass Abuses were predominant. Then came WWI and wholesale decadence....
  • Jeffrey Quick
    And even for "the native scene", most American church music composers were born in Europe... guys like Giorza, the Wiegands, Singenberger, La Hache, Curto. So stylistically, the US was Europe, but with fewer resources.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • expeditus1
    Another liturgical War of the Roses, with Fort Worth as the epicenter?
    http://www.cfnews.org/page88/files/0795b5dcc10f96c16d54412d9817d6c0-194.html
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Unbelievable!
  • Man, are there a million missing pieces of info in that story. We should probably wait until facts come out before going DEFCON 1.
    Thanked by 2Liam BruceL
  • For example, this thread is rapidly updating, with more and more information that fills in the gaps you can drive a truck through.
  • G
    We should probably wait until facts come out before going DEFCON 1.
    You are a spoil sport, and I rescind anything nice I ever said about you.;o)
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    To steal the title of an old article:
    "There Are 1001 Liberal-vs.-Conservative Stories In The Church. This Is Not One Of Them."

More info here, written by a local Dallas Catholic blogger, who indicates this is not an anti-TLM move

http://veneremurcernui.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/fisher-more-denied-ability-to-offer-tlm/
    http://veneremurcernui.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/more-on-fisher-more/

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just as a side note - I live in Fort Worth.
    It's a weird place.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The fact that Wood lives in the city GUARENTEES that Fort Worth is a weird place.
  • Another liturgical War of the Roses, with Fort Worth as the epicenter?

Just as a side note - I live in Fort Worth.

COINCIDENCE? Is Adam Wood behind the wholesale destruction of the TLM (at daily Mass, at a college chapel, for a college with 25 students)????????
  • CharlesW
    COINCIDENCE? Is Adam Wood behind the wholesale destruction of the TLM (at daily Mass, at a college chapel, for a college with 25 students)????????

Sounds like a liberal conspiracy in the making. ;-)

You have to admit, the situation at that college seems strange. I wonder what is really going on there.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I won't fully give my thoughts but from everything I've read it appears that the bishop is being very reasonable.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

Hate globally. Smash locally.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka Ben