Forum access troubles on Thursday, Feb. 20
  • chonakchonak
    Some users have experienced access problems with the forum intermittently today (Thursday, Feb. 20).

The cause appears to be a large "denial-of-service" attack that someone is making against the company that handles our DNS (domain name service). When attackers overload the company's DNS servers, regular users can't get the web server name "forum.musicasacra.com" translated into the numeric address for our web server machine, so they can't connect to it.

The DNS company is working reasonably to recover from the attack, but it has come and gone several times today, and it's possible there may be a recurrence.

Tech-savvy users can work around the issue by specifying the internet address for forum.musicasacra.com (and for musicasacra.com) manually in their PC's host table: it is 50.116.40.103.
  • CharlesW
    It isn't just the forum. There are other sites getting hit, too.
  • chonakchonak
    We should be past the problem now.
  • I have had to 'sign in' at least half a dozen times this week. Why?
    This annoying is.
  • chonakchonak
    I don't think users in general are seeing that problem. Flush your browser's cookies for musicasacra.com (or all cookies, if you don't mind being logged out of all web sites), and see if that helps.

Also, when you log in, if you see a "remember me" option, click it.
  • Chonak,

In case someone hasn't already done this, perhaps you might contact Fr. Zuhlsdorf, whose site recently experienced what to a layman sounds like a similar sort of problem. In either case, could the attacks capture data?
  • BenBen
    Cgz,

It's not really the same thing.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, like he said.