The Catholic Organist's Book of Hymns
  • The Catholic Organist's Book of Hymns

Hymnals have music arranged to be sung and organists are expected to take lessons and master the art of what I call "playing the invisible notes". There are things that are "understood" that are not written in hymnals - since they are written for singing. Certain notes are repeated with articulation (little puffs of air) while others are festooned with invisible ties and are never repeated unless....well, there are a whole bunch of rules. And there are no rest for breathing? In music written to be sung? And the organ HAS to breath to keep the rhythm going when the choir breaths even though the choir is not shown when to breath.

Can you see why pianists have "trouble" playing hymns on the organ and sounding effective?

So this project offers the following:

A choral prelude, useful to play when introducing the hymn before singing - but especially useful when introducing the melody by playing it 4 to 6 weeks in advance of the first singing.

Then, on the left page the usual hymn. On the right side is the exact same hymn written to be played by the organist.

On the next page is a version for three part playing, especially useful as a variation to play while singing but also for those coming from the accordion who can play two parts in the RH and are learning to play Bass Lines in the LH. And also for less accomplished pianists getting started playing hymns.

On the right page is the hymn melody and words with chords.

Both organ versions omit the words sung since they appear on the opposite page for reference - Select TWO PAGES when viewing the attached sample file.

It will be available as a set of printed books but also in PDF form so that you may print out only what you need.

Use this link to be notified on release - expected before Lent.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    A choral prelude, useful to play when introducing the hymn before singing - but especially useful when introducing the melody by playing it 4 to 6 weeks in advance of the first singing.

Great suggestion. This is a tried-and-true educational technique.
    Thanked by 2noel jones, aago Ben
  • G
    As a -- what was it called, "Left Foot Lily"? -- I am thrilled with this project, even though my meager organ skills are not currently called upon.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • BenBen
    I'm quite excited as well.
  • For new hymns, I play the entire tune in parallel octaves as the introduction then make sure that I am on the microphone clearly singing the words.
  • WendiWendi
    This is so cool. I can't wait to see the completed book.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Update, Noel?
  • We are up to 152 pages of chorale preludes and 3 part organ hymns - continuing to add more every two weeks, liturgically extending from Ash Wednesday to the non-liturgical day of Thanksgiving, hitting All Saints through Post-Christmas over the next 4 weeks.

At the same time the original SATB hymns are being added for each of these and the organ hymn in 4 parts ( the SATB as it may be played on the organ) as well. Those, not requiring any composition, are being done by our engravers, and will be complete about the same time we wrap up the rest in 4 weeks. We concentrated on the 3 Part and Chorale Preludes to start as that was the biggest area of interest in those we surveyed.

At that point we will have a price for the book as it is in printed form, Book 1.

We will continue adding hymns which will be available through download as they have been - we anticipate many will continue on subscribing and playing from a tablet or iPad or just printing out what they need.

The initial subscriber price of $20 a year will be available until Book 1 is completed.

See http://www.frogmusic.com/a-catholic-organists-book/ for more information, including sample pages.

Thanked by 1irishtenor