Chanted Passion Resources - Palm Sunday/Good Friday
  • Does anyone have links or suggestions for a simple chant resource for Palm Sunday/Good Friday

We have used the Batastini version from GIA before, and are looking for something simpler for three cantors (i.e. not as through-composed). Any ideas, or a re-direction to the appropriate thread would be much appreciated.
  • I'm just bumping my own discussion to say that after searching past threads and various publishers, I still haven't found a notated Passion available for sale or free download. There is the Batastini version through GIA, but I'm looking for something set to the solemn gospel tone. The Batastini seems too acrobatic to me (e.g. often the low voice ends on "do" and the high voice comes in on "ti" a major seventh higher, many jumps of sixths, etc.). Even with the trained singers we had last year, all the jumping between voice parts was disconcerting and awkward to the narrative, in my opinion.

Anyhow, anyone have a lead for me before I settle down for many lengthy Gregorio sessions?
  • I've used Rev. Samuel Weber's St. John Passion on Good Friday for several years.

http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/passion_john.pdf
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thanks for the links!

After looking through these I realized my own ignorance - Batastini is merely the editor of the GIA books, and only made a few slight alterations from the traditional tones.

So my beef is with the traditional tones...and the often awkward jumps between low, medium, and high ranges. I suppose if I want the text set to the standard solemn gospel tone, I will have to point that myself.
  • Are there any resources with the required NAB text, the traditional passion tone(s), and square notation?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've begun transcribing the Good Friday Passion as arranged by myself for the NAB text and Dominican tone (already posted, in stemless notes, in another thread), but I don't expect to complete it before Holy Week, if that soon. My plan is (was) to make the square note edition available once final revisions have been made to my pointing and adaptation to the Dominican tone. Then, if I'm so moved, I might also set the Batastini 1999 version of the traditional setting (with some corrections) to square notes, but not before I'm finished with the Dominican tone setting.
  • vogelkwvogelkw
    Daniel,
    A couple years ago I took Fr. Weber's setting (mentioned above) and typeset it in square note notation so it would be easier for me to sing. I haven't looked at it in a while, so it could possibly have errors. I have also provided the gabc code in case someone wants to make a nicer looking pdf or needs to fix errors.