High Masses in Fort Worth
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This may be liturgical overkill, but I don't get the opportunity very often...

St. Mary of the Assumption in Fort Worth
    http://www.stmarysftw.catholicweb.com/

is host to two "minority" congregations: an Anglican Use parish and a Latin Mass society.

The AU group has Solemn High Mass every Sunday at 2pm.
    The Latin Mass group has Mass at 5:30pm, which is High on some weekends but not others. (And is a High Mass this coming Sunday, according to their schedule).

I find myself fee on Sunday afternoon/evening this weekend (an unusual situation for me) and am planning to drive down there for this liturgical smorgasboard.

That's February 9, 2014, by the way.

If anyone would like to join me for one or the other, or both, and/or drinks/dinner afterward- just find me.
    I look like this:

(In real life, I'm in color.)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    . . . and you're not sideways?? If I lived in Texas, I'd drive a long way to meet you at a Latin Mass and party afterwards. Will the baby be along? : )
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You know - I thought about using the sideways pic, so that people would recognize me more easily.

Baby and mama are out of town taking care of another newborn and mama, which is why I have the opportunity to drive an hour each way and indulge in liturgical sight-seeing. (My wife is religious, but not much of a traddie wonk.)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Liturgical sight-seeing---what could possibly be more fun and exciting?

I'm very interested in hearing about your adventures. We are in the process of looking for possible places to relocate in a few years and Texas is one of the states on our list.

Aren't you a native Northeasterner? Was it hard to adapt to the Texas climate? I'll bet all the open space is a plus, though.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm a native(ish) Floridian (born in Tennessee, but spent no time there), but I lived in Boston for three years before moving to Texas 4(ish) years ago.

The benefit of the open space is that there is parking.

I don't really like it here. I can't stand being land-locked. The weather map is confusing without a coast.

There's a lot of economic opportunity here, and housing is pretty cheap. There's more Anglican-Use activity in Houston (seat of the Ordinariate). I don't know much about the Latin Mass stuff around these parts.
  • Blaise
    Latin Mass: EF or OF?

We have a Latin OF here at Our Lady of the Atonement, San Antonio, the first parish to use the Anglican Use of the Catholic Church. It is very beautiful with Gregorian schola. I am going to do some liturgical sight-seeing of my own and head to the local EF community this spring.
  • Carl DCarl D
    For me, the weather map is confusing without mountains!
  • Blaise
    Speaking of being land-locked, I would love to live near a beach, but mostly because I enjoy being near water, not because I fear being land-locked per se. I enjoy going down to the River Walk here in San Antonio for precisely that reason.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Absolutely, Carl! I grew up in Denver and because the highly visible Front Range was "West" it was almost impossible to get lost and whenever we could see snow piling up on the peaks, we knew it was usually on its way to us. I'm so homesick for my mountains. : (

Thanks, Adam and Paul, for the scoop on Texas. It's worth investigating I think.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    By the way, Adam, speaking of babies, I was chuckling at the Alleluia verse for the Feast of the Purification this Sunday (EF):

Senex puerum portabat, autem puer senem regebat.
    (The old man carried the Child yet the Child ruled the old man.)

Reminds me of my own wiggly babies.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Latin Mass is an EF, High Mass.
  • I'll have to ask the Mrs.
  • GavinGavin
    Quite tempting, though I'm probably going to be at work longer than usual on Sunday, and probably wouldn't have time to make the drive.
  • ghmus7
    Just to note, the actual RC parish church at St. Mary's of the assumption is pastored by Fr.
    David Bristow - a wonderful pastor who came across the river from the Episcopal folks. The music and liturgy at the Sunday morning masses are beautiful, the music is directed by Rebecca Pope, and the parish has a recently restored 1923 Kilgen organ. The stained Glass in the church is worth the visit itself!
    http://stmarysftw.catholicweb.com/
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Argh!! Another opportunity missed. I have a department recital to attend in Denton this weekend, or else I would join you. I have been to both Masses there at St. Mary's. I would love to join you for drinks afterwards depending on where you plan to have said drinks. Denton is still at least 30 mins away from FW.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Anti-Adam-Wood protestors are planning on picketing outside the church during both Masses.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Anti-Adam-Wood protestors are planning on picketing outside the church during both Masses.

This happens to me pretty much everywhere I go.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • matthewjmatthewj
    They plan to hold the signs sideways so you are able to read them from your most natural pose.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BAR TENTATIVELY SELECTED

I'm currently planning to go to The Usual Bar, down the street afterwards.

Great reviews according Zagat and Google, and it looks like they might have a decent rum selection (this guess based on the fact they have a mention of this amazing book about rum on their website, and their conceit of being somewhat "old school" in their approach. It's not much to go on - but it's something).

Speaking of their website - it's all hosed up, infected with some malware or something - which is why I linked to Google directions instead of to them.

Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form is at 5:30pm, so I imagine I'll be at the bar around 7ish.

Anyone who can't make it to the Mass but wants to join me for drinks is more than welcome.

And anyone who lives in Houston should just suck it up and make the drive.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    SAD UPDATE

(well - happy for me, but sad for liturgical site seeing)

My wife is coming home a day earlier than I thought (Sunday instead of Monday).

The upshot of that is I will not be attending the 5:30 EF Mass, nor going for drinks afterward.

I am still considering attending the Anglican Use Mass at 2:00pm, and will gladly meet anyone for lunch/drink before or for a (quick) drink afterwards, if anyone is so inclined.

Let me know via PM if you're thinking about it. I may skip it in favor of getting the house clean, especially if no one else is planning to meet up.
  • I'd love to, but I've been informed we have some grandparent time scheduled already. Sorry.