Boy Scout Sunday?
  • Does your Parish do anything differently for Boy Scout Sunday? Does anyone know if there are regulations about the use of national flags in the procession? I was always under the impression that the American flag didn't belong in the church. Although, I'm also fairly certain our servers should be serving in albs, and not their BSA uniforms. And I'm also fairly certain there is no provision for presenting awards during the homily.... With applause.....

... This is how we celebrated the Presentation at our main Mass.
  • That's a problem.
    I do think Boy Scout Sunday should be commemorated somehow, though, just to provide a contrast when we don't celebrate Girl Scout Sunday.
    Thanked by 2bkenney27 mrcopper
  • Always provided your parish knows enough not to celebrate Girl Scout Sunday...
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • aria
    I don't know where to find the regulations on it but this is what's being put out by the Nat'l Catholic Committee on Scouting: http://www.nccs-bsa.org/ScoutUnits/ScoutSunday.php . See especially the PDF there... it recommends "Scouts and Scouters processing should be in their dress uniform. " No mention of the flag in the procession. It's encouraged by the Scout Chaplain of my diocese to have awards presented during Mass. (Again, I don't know if that's technically allowed but it's being specifically encouraged at least in some areas.)
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • Thanks for the link!
    Thanked by 1aria
  • Always provided your parish knows enough not to celebrate Girl Scout Sunday...

Oh. That'd be today, apparently.

!!
  • My parish didn't do it this year, I guess.
    From what I remember it's a few months later.
  • We did it, at the end. That's OK by me. Less of a problem than the feast which falls on the Sunday closest to July 4.
  • I was mistaken. Apparently Girl Scouts were honored at a different church this past weekend.