Votive vespers during Lent?
  • Someone suggested to me the idea of having a Vespers for St. Joseph on Friday, March 14 before the actual date March 19 (A wednesday) as it might make attendance more feasible for someone they know. I responded that this probably interferes with the lenten office, but I am not absolutely certain.

Can anyone confirm for me if this is true? Is it permissiable to have votive offices during lent?
    It remind me a bit of weddings during lent (which are more important that votive masses or offices of course).

Even if technically possible, is it not in poor taste to have a votive vespers during lent on a weekday?
    Not that many people would notice...
  • Is it at all foreseen by liturgical books to celebrate any particular office as a votive one? It is possible with Mass, but never heard this about the Divine Office. The only formulary of the Divine Office that can be sung as a votive office (i.e., independently of the calendar) is the Office of the Dead. There is also the so-called Vigil of Relics (on the night before the traditional dedication of a church, Matins and Lauds of the Saints whose relics are to be buried into the altar).
  • Liam
    There is a General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours, chapter IV-III of which addresses the permitted options for choosing an office or a part thereof:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/cdwgilh.htm

No. 245 provides in relevant part:

For a public cause or out of devotion, except on solemnities, the Sundays of the seasons of Advent, Lent, and Easter, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, the octave of Easter, and 2 November, a votive office may be celebrated, in whole or in part: for example, on the occasion of a pilgrimage, a local feast, or the external solemnity of a saint.

• Thanks for the a good answer, which suggests that it is possible. Than comes the next question, which is if it was permitted before 1970, and or before 1870, which is a harder question to answer. In otherwords does that answer comport with consistent historical practice.

It seems to me that it might be better if a "votive" office of vespers for st joseph, not replace the lenten propers of office. In other words better to have two vespers, so to speak, the same as how the vespers of Little office of the Blessed V. Mary was celebrated additionally to regular vespers of the day.

However for a handful of lay people who simply want to commerate their patronal saint of their local parish, i guess this is probably irrelevant. I suppose I might go along with the idea, but I'd hate to think of myself as a hypocrit.

In the byzantine rite they dont seem to have votive vespers, but alternative liturgical hymns of praise called paraklesis and akathists. On some level those make a bit more sense to me. I reckon that the closest equivalents in the latin rite are litanies, "chaplets" or novenas...

• Protasius
    In a Gregorian chant textbook from ~1912 the statement is that in a church that is not bound to choral office (e.g. a parish church, in contrast to a monastery or a cathedral bound to recite the office in choir) you could celebrate Vespers that do not conform to the office (e.g. Vespers from the Common of the BVM); however clergy could not fulfill their precept to recite the breviary by attending this kind of votive Vespers.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thus the great equalizer of lay people in their private chapel being free to pray however they want, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. In this case...mostly for the better.
  • BenBen
    Protasius,

So, in other words, you're not really praying the office. You're just praying a prayer similar to the office...
  • It doesn't sound nice that way, but basically yes.
  • Another problem is I don't believe in using polyphony during lent, except on the actual feast.... hahahahha. (ancient custom). They wont like that!

As I say I am typing on a computer for now, but I seem to fit into another time before dentistry....when these little rubrics and rules were taken more seriously, and perhaps the average man fear of God was more often stroger often the beginning of their wisdom greater... (such as rural guatemala)