OCP takes a huge step forward
  • matthewjmatthewj
    OCP has taken a huge step forward in making their "choir hymnal," Choral Praise Third Edition available as an e-book. For $26, you can have the entire hymnal on your desktop PC, tablet, etc. This includes the readings (for those who lack ibrievary or another way of having the readings on their device).

This is a wonderful feature. Searching through a dozen hardcover hymnals to find the arrangement of a hymn you want is difficult and unpleasant. Doing the same thing on a computer, using free hymns on hymnary.org, other free hymn resources, and now the OCP PDF is much easier.

I hope, in the future, that all music publishers offer an e-book format. It's time we realize that it's 2014 and embrace technology.
  • francis
    How is the content in the OCP choir hymnal?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The index is available here:
    http://content.ocp.org/shared/pdf/general/CP3index.pdf

It has many standard, traditional hymns, with clear, common harmonizations.

This breakthrough is not about the content of the hymnal, but rather about a new (at least for mainstream Catholic music publishers) method of distribution.

EDIT: apparently GIA does have this available. I had not received the memo.
  • francis
    I can understand the excitement to have a digital resource, but the content is still a large problem.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think there are enough traditional hymns in that book that if one were to use 2-3 hymns per weekend, this would certainly be enough.
  • I think they have something similar. But I am not sure about a choral edition.
  • francis
    matthewj

have you looked into other alternatives such as st michaels or the lumen christi or vII hymnal?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes.

The Lumen Christi Hymnal is not out yet.

St. Michaels is a good hymnal.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    GIA its own app within which it is possible to purchase ebooks of their hymnals. However, you're not saving much money. I believe the price difference is a whopping $1.

https://www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/hymnals-ipad.cfm
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Price difference or not, that app looks like it would be very cool and helpful. Thumbs up from me, GIA!
  • donr
    We use OCP on a regular basis because its the throw away missal of choice at our church. I am constantly stopping myself from saying not so Christian things in front of my choir because of alterations of texts and happy clappy hymns. Its a cross I am forced to carry for the moment. So I would never recommend OCP to any one at any time.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    ^ What he said.
    Thanked by 2Ben francis
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Alterations of texts are so frustrating. Just got new hymnals and many texts are different. Are they really better now?
  • donr
    No they are not. I think they do it to prove they altered it so copyright is easier to obtain or just to show that they are creative. It's horrible, why can't they just leave the old hymns alone.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, in a lot of cases they did it to avoid the dread words "thou", "thee", and "thy".
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • I don't like the text changes at all, but I'm in the same boat with donr above. Donr -- we just have to keep paddlin' as fast as we can -- especially since it seems our better intuitions are against the flow.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • SalieriSalieri
    To say nothing of "He", "Him", and "His".
  • Does OCP prove that it is intent on making every expression of the faith even more ephemeral than previously? Just imagine! No more pesky books to recycle every season. Now, with everyone bringing his own e-book to Mass, soon with real-time editing capacity, we can have one of the last bastions of stick-in-the-mud, un-computerised time come into the modern world. Mass texts can soon seem as ephemeral as a touch screen's image. Hymn texts can be relieved of any permanent form.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Now, with everyone bringing his own e-book to Mass, soon ...

... we will be relieved of that necessity by having the whole schmear projected on a screen, saving us from the necessity of investing in e-books. Oh, wait ... they're in this to make money.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Shorter matthewj: Great! OCP has an ebook version now! This will be so much easier to use.

Shorter cgz: Modernist tyrant OCP is imposing ebooks on us all! To destroy the Mass!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    So the problem with the GIA one is that you cannot use it if you're not on an iProduct.
  • That's okay; iProduct users liked OCP better before it went electronic and got popular, anyway.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I want a PDF of Worship II and III on my desktop. Why won't GIA sell it to me!?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Because then you might not buy the hard copy, which has a lower profit margin.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    They don't even sell hard copies of Worship II anymore.

Why not make it available via PDF?

I'm betting it would be a HUGE SELLER.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If you could buy it, you might steal it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    !!!
    300 x 168 - 70K
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    Conjectures about reprinting W2:

(1) Some of the service music in W2 can no longer be used licitly. Would GIA have to blank it out in the reprint copies? I suppose they might save a small amount on royalties.

(2) Could reprinting W2 and selling it smallish quantities (to replace damaged books) hurt sales of W4 (in large quantities)? I.e., do they figure parishes are not likely to switch publishers lightly?

(3) If some customers show that they prefer W2's presentation of hymns over W4's, would that be unflattering to the company?

(4) Would lower printing volumes make the book prohibitively expensive for customers?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>Some of the service music in W2 can no longer be used licitly.

By Catholic parishes of the Latin Rite.

I'd be willing to bet that there are a number of Lutheran, Episcopalian, Methodist, and other mainline Protestant musicians who are annoyed at the difficulty of getting unrevised versions of Mass settings.

Just (you know) sayin'.

(Not that anyone at GIA or OCP ever listens to my MANY BRILLIANT SUGGESTIONS!)
  • donr
    Now, with everyone bringing his own e-book to Mass,

this is very scary to me. Can you imagine for Easter Vigil before the lighting of the candles the nice glow of everyone's iThingy so they can read the music.
  • CharlesW
    After the new missal came out, I had to contact GIA to get orchestral scores of Mass of Creation for the 50th anniversary celebration of a priest's ordination. Not my favorite, but I did as I was asked. The lady I talked to at GIA told me they have the revised and older settings of MOC, because Lutherans, Episcopalians and others sometimes use it. So I don't think they trashed the older settings because of the new missal. The economics of reprinting an older hymnal could be another matter.

iPads for mass? Never. They would all be playing Angry Birds during the sermon.

I should point out the new missal was out but this was slightly before the official implementation date. I had to use the old mass settings.
  • A HUGE step forward by OCP would be offering all public domain hymns, chants for free, and permitting people to purchasing the copyright materials that they have the legal right to market and sell, including the ICEL texts - which is a crime that ICEL charges for them in the first place.

ICEL limits their materials to churches than can afford them, meaning people with money have them and poor people do not. Where's the Pope on this crime?
  • this is very scary to me. Can you imagine for Easter Vigil before the lighting of the candles the nice glow of everyone's iThingy so they can read the music.

There's an app for that. Or will be. Will include a countdown, how many readings to go. Any church that cuts readings will automatically be reported to the Roman Liturgy Police and their Catholic church franchise to make money will be canceled.
  • kenstb
    "happy clappy hymns"...my favorite line so far. New hymnals for the average parish in my area means BIG bucks. The result is that many poorer parishes are working with out dated material like Gather I. I also abhor the publishers need to alter the original lyrics.
  • ronkrisman
    Conjectures about reprinting W2

No need for conjectures, Chonak. I just checked with GIA's customer service. W2 is still in print: pew (Edition B), choir, low key accompaniment, guitar, and spiral accompaniment editions.

I don't know what GIA would do if it were to run out of the "Edition B." Would the BCDW require that GIA strip out service music which uses the formerly approved texts? I'm not sure.

One thing I would point out. Your statement "I suppose they might save a small amount on royalties," appears to betray some lack of knowledge about royalties.

The industry standard practice for hymnal royalties is 10% of the sales price of the book. So, since a copy of Worship II, Edition B, sells for $9.00, $.90 of that amount is paid out as royalties to the copyright owners, pro-rated according to the amount of copyrighted materials each contributor has in the book. (For a hymnal containing NAB scripture readings, the owners of the NAB bible translation by far get the largest share of the royalty pie.)

Now, say that GIA decided that they would reprint the pew edition of W2, Edition B, in the future, but only the hymns (no service music, no lectionary section), simply hymns nos. 1-313. Because of inflation over the past 39 years, a copy of the reprint of those 313 hymns would still sell for $9.00, and so $.90 would still be paid out as royalties. However, the number of contributors sharing in that royalty would be less, since service music and NAB scripture readings would no longer be contained in the book. The publisher still pays 10% in royalties, no matter what: whether the content changes, whether there is a price increase for the book, etc.

I should add that some hymnal publishers are wanting the industry standard royalty to be raised from 10% to 12.5%.
  • Kathy
    Just curious: why would the publishers want the percentage raised? It seems to lessen their share. Wonder what the reason could be.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just curious: why would the publishers want the percentage raised? It seems to lessen their share. Wonder what the reason could be.

COMPLETELY UNINFORMED CONJECTURE ALERT

Because the larger publishers can afford it, but their smaller competitors cannot.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is there any talk in GIA of releasing the current (or previous) hymnals in a purchasable PDF format? The iDevice App is a good start, but OCP does now sell the PDF so that I can use it on a non-iDevice.

• ronkrisman
    Of course, all the contributors on this Forum would know that such a purchasable PDF most likely would not give the purchaser the right to print multiple hardcopies (for instance, for the parish choir) of anything in the PDF still under copyright, particularly copyrights of a third party (other than the seller of the PDF).

How does the OCP PDF handle third party copyrighted materials (if there are such in Choral Praise)? And why would a publisher make available the complete scores to, say, 900 pieces of music for $26, knowing that some purchasers would not be as scrupulous in complying with the law as the contributors to this Forum?
  • This makes my little brain swirl too much.
    I'm happy that OCP is goin down this road a bit.
    Otoh, we pay for ink and paper at our parish, and the choirs sing for two fully sung liturgies every Sunday. Some members also use their own copies of the LU, the Liber Brevior, and the GT.

I'm ever grateful for free materials from:
    CMAA- parish book of chant
    CMAA- English hymns in the commons
    Corpus Christi Watershed
    Institute of Christ the King
    CPDL

I realize I sound cheap, but all the free scores have been great for us.

And whileI fully support composers and their new works, it feels really weird to talk of royalties going to owners of a bible translation.
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • kenstb
    MaryAnn, you don't sound cheap. You sound practical to me. In my neck of the woods, the expenses incurred by any investment in the music come out of the pockets of the choir director. It is a real issue that informs to some extent the amount of new music we teach. I am very grateful for CMAA providing access to such great music for free. It allows me make my budget go much further than I would otherwise be able to.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Of course, all the contributors on this Forum would know that such a purchasable PDF most likely would not give the purchaser the right to print multiple hardcopies (for instance, for the parish choir) of anything in the PDF still under copyright, particularly copyrights of a third party (other than the seller of the PDF).

How does the OCP PDF handle third party copyrighted materials (if there are such in Choral Praise)? And why would a publisher make available the complete scores to, say, 900 pieces of music for $26, knowing that some purchasers would not be as scrupulous in complying with the law as the contributors to this Forum?

I am very curious what their stance on this is, since they clearly have figured out a way to make it work.

My guess is that the thinking went something like:

"People who are going to make illegal copies already can and do. So why not sell some more stuff and make some more money and stop worrying about whether or not people who are already doing something are going to continue doing it, which they are."
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm not sure of the details of how OCP has done it, but they have.

GIA has obviously begun going down this road with the iPad thing, but not everyone has an iPad... I have a simple, used, non-brand-name tablet that I can use to read PDFs, but cannot use iStuff on. I would hope that people would follow the copyright rules and buy as many copies as they used. I know that I'm not able to check what's in the OCP PDF at the moment, because I've only loaded it on my desktop in my office (and I'm at home presently). However, the convenience of PDF hymnals for music directors is something that cannot be underestimated. For each book that I have in PDF form, it means one less book stacked in front of me at my desk, which makes for a more aesthetically pleasing office, which makes the world a more beautiful place.

Catholic Publishers need to make the world a more beautiful place. One office at a time.
  • Adam,

I think it more likely (because I live in Silicon Valley) that these companies are doing this because "everything's on the internet nowadays" --- or some version of that --- and since print books are going the way of the dodo, and screens are making a comeback, pdf's can be posted on those screens....
  • ronkrisman
    I am very curious what their stance on this is, since they clearly have figured out a way to make it work.

Adam, I too am curious. But I suspect that Choral Praise, 3rd edition, only contains OCP copyrights, and OCP did not have to deal with any other owners of copyright when they made that book available as an e-book. Also, the OP of this thread seems to be saying that OCP's e-book is a PDF. (Is it always the case that an e-book is a printable PDF?)

From an experience I had this afternoon, I"d have to say that things are not fully worked out between OCP and GIA. Fr. John Schiavone's "Amén. El Cuerpo de Cristo" is an OCP-copyrighted hymn. It's in three of the four hymnals GIA has published since 2011. Yet, it is not listed on One License. And when I checked the titles of other OCP-copyrighted hymns which have been included in GIA hymnals, I come up with zip.

So I'm wondering: when you get the GIA iPad app and download the Worship IV e-book, are the OCP-copyrighted items which are contained in the published edition of W4 also present in that e-book edition?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Fr. Krisman, perhaps you can riddle me this:
    What reason would the collaboration of OCP and LicensingOnline have to not put JPEG/PDF's of their choral SATB hymns (or even selections) that ARE in the public domain for those who are compelled to subscribe to both their hard copy and visual / print reproduction product lines? This seems to be endemic to GIA and WLP as well, btw. To me, having just encountered a less than interested rep for the licensing for a massive Our Lady of Guadalupe Mass who could offer no reason for both the absence of those pub.dom . hymns for projection and programs, but also didn't seem too bothered that an obvious OCP copyright, Hurd's Missa Pueblo de Immigrante, was also not available in a congregational format.
    It seems particularly odd that publishers now "double dip" via hard and e products' necessities but make it a labyrinthian quest to create a multi-publisher copyright worship aid.
    And I know you're not Bari, and I'll stop calling you Shirley. ;-)
  • This may not be for you...... if you use a desktop or laptop computer.

(from the OCP website)

OCP mobile eBook!

•For use with iPad and Android tablets*

*Not intended for desktop/laptop or for printing/copying; slightly modified from original print version. Please note: the USCCB does not currently approve tablet devices for liturgical use (at ambo/pulpit).

• ronkrisman
    @Melo: As should be clear from this thread, I have more questions than answers when it comes to these new eProducts and the policies surrounding them. Surely, I can agree with you regarding the public domain SATB hymns, but I have little no clout to affect GIA policy. I'm an editor for a company 1200 miles away from where I live and with the happy distinction of never having attended a single staff meeting.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I just checked the OCP PDF file and it includes GIA's materials - or at least the two I happened to check... Gather Us In and All Are Welcome.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yup, I was doing the old Oakland okey doke with ya. No responsibility accrued or implied towards vouz.
    In these times of downsizing, economic uncertainty and job instability, it just strikes me as odd that the number of glossy shill magazine promotions, new product output and endless innovations such as the one MJM started the thread about, and which generate yet another layer of costly access to worship materials that are hardly all needed, keep showing up in my mailbox and email from the Lit/Ind. Complex. Everyone thinks that the RCC is the mother of deep pockets. Well, we just have to look north to our neighbor diocese of Stockton, which is officially bankrupt, to know it's a brand new day, everything ain't fi-i-i-ine.
  • CharlesW
    Charles, if it is fine, it must be somewhere else! Deficit is our middle name! LOL.