Mozarabic chant for Hispanic Mass
  • After working miracles with the music program for the Anglo Masses, my pastor is ready to turn his attention to the Hispanic community. He would like to start by teaching them to chant Padre nuestro (The Lord's Prayer) using the Mozarabic Tone B as found in the current missal. Has anyone set the Spanish using this tone? Does anyone know where I can find it?
  • I don't know, but I love the Mozarabic Tone B Lord's Prayer. Beautiful. I wish more people would use these 3 ICEL versions of the Lord's Prayer.
  • ronkrisman
    I do not own copies of the most recent editions of the Misal Romano from Spain and Mexico. However, the 1990 edition from Spain contains only one musical setting of the Padre Nuestro, and it is the one using the Mozarabic tone. The 1990 and 2001 editions from Mexico both contain three musical settings, and Fórmula C is a version of the Mozarabic tone.

That same setting, with alterations in the first phrase (Padre nuestro, que estás en el cielo) and the last one (y líbranos del mal), is also found in Spain's Cantoral Litúrgico Nacional. (In the 2001 edition, it is Fórmula A, no. L1, page 116.)

Someone may be able to locate a downloadable PDF of the Cantoral Litúrgico Nacional on the internet. I found a site, but I was unable to download the file.
  • ronkrisman
    Another (quite simplified) version of the Padre Nuestro Mozárabe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbq1gfgwaY
    Thanked by 1bridget
  • Here is Padre nuestro according to Fórmula A from Cantoral Litúrgico Nacional:

• Thanks to everyone. All help with chant for our Latino Community is much appreciated.
  • [Bumping this thread]

I would also like to use this setting of the Our Father in Spanish. I re-engraved the above graphic in Finale. Please proof read for errors.

I also was able to download the file from Cantoral Litúrgico Nacional mentioned above, but those Finale files are poorly formatted and difficult to work with. There is also some variations in the tone between the two versions. Does anyone know if there is a "Standard" adaptation used in Spanish speaking parishes?

Any thoughts as to how the Doxology should be sung?
  • ronkrisman
    Earl_Grey, there are many corrections to be made. Most of them are owing to the fact that the source you used for your setting must have been prepared before the unified translation for all Spanish-speaking countries (the so-called "texto único") was mandated. A number of the corrections deal with capitalizations and semicolons. The notes over two elided syllables (this occurs three times) should be centered. The music should also be provided for the Doxology.

By PM I'm sending you an annotated PDF.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • ronkrisman
    Earl_Grey, I just had the opportunity to review your second attachment (Padre Nuestro-sources.pdf). Don't worry about these variations. What you have engraved is what is contained in Spain's translation of the Missale Romanum.

The first example in that second PDF is the Latin chant that is used in the Mozarabic Rite. The addition of the interspersed "Amen's" is not the approved text for the Roman Rite. The second example is a slight variation on what you have engraved. The variations are there because the text is an earlier form of the Lord's Prayer used in Spain before the "texto único" translation became mandatory for all Spanish-speaking countries.
  • Thank you Fr. Krisman for the helpful edits. Hopefully others will find this useful too.