Candlemas in the EF
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I just found a description of the entire rite of the blessing of the candles, procession, chants and Mass from Fr. Adrian Fortescue's book, The Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described. It's on p. 6-16 in this online pdf in case anyone needs further details.

Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Just had a question @ the music for a Candlemas procession in the EF:

Is it permissible to sing Alme Creator Siderum after the Adorna Sion during our outdoor procession? I'm afraid we're going to run out of music, and I would like to sing something that is familiar and easy enough for the people to sing. Otherwise (and this has happened before in other processions I've been in) there is a small handful of schola members at the head of the line singing obscure chant pieces while most of the people are walking along in silence, straining to hear and not having the slightest idea how to sing the music on their handouts.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Julie, I just whipped up a chant only version of my Adorna, Sion, thalamum (same chant melody through all six stanzas, no SATB). I also moved it up a semitone, so that it fits between low and high C.

I hope I'm replying in the right thread (even though you mentioned it in a different one).
    Thanked by 2JulieColl expeditus1
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    (I moved the discussion to this thread since I didn't want to derail your other thread.)

This is super, Charles! I was going to cut and paste the chant version with the other document on In Design, and you've saved me a pile of work! Thank you so much.

We're going to practice this after Mass tomorrow. Thanks again! I can't wait to sing this on Candlemas Day!

BTW, I'm assuming it's okay to include this in our handout? I'll print it as is with the copyright info on the bottom of the page.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • On a related subject, does anyone know which Mass will be offered on Sunday, Feb. 2 in the Extraordinary Form? I'm hearing conflicting reports on whether the Fourth Sunday after Epiphany or Candlemas takes precedence.
  • The Purification is considered a feast of the Lord in the EF Calendar and is kept on Sunday, Feb. 2, without Commemoration of the Sunday. Prior to 1962, it was transferred if Feb. 2 fell on a Sunday in pre-Lent (Septuagesima, Sexagesima, Quinquagesima).

The term "Candlemas" usually refers to the rites and the day associated with the blessing of candles on Feb. 2. Prior to 1962, Candlemas would be celebrated on the Sunday even if the feast of the Purification was transferred.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jahaza
  • veromaryveromary
    Was there an answer to Julie's question, re: can we sing other music on the procession after Adorna? I'm thinking of a mode 7 Ave Maris Stella. I think it should be alright, remembering singing different things each year for a little Christus Rex procession - variations on Christus Vincit.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for bringing this up again, Veromary. For whatever it's worth, last year I made inquiries at St. John Cantius parish in Chicago re: singing other hymns or antiphons during the EF Candlemas procession, and their opinion was that the antiphons and responsory in the Graduale Romanum for Candlemas were the only options, and that would be Adorna Sion and Responsum Accepit with versicles, from what I can see.

They are here: http://www.institute-christ-king.org/uploads/music/MassPurification_Proc_lg.pdf.

BTW, we're going to sing Charles Giffens' masterful arrangement of Adorna, Sion for our Offertory with verses 1, 2, 3 and 6. Our children's schola will sing verses 1 and 3, and 2 and 6 with the adult choir.