The brilliance of Bartlett's harmonized tones
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Adam Bartlett writes fantastic antiphons and chant melodies - almost everyone involved in the sacred music movement with an interest in vernacular chant knows this.

However, perhaps less well known, is that he also writes fantastic chant accompaniments and harmonized tones. These are, I'm told, ongoing projects of his that will continue to be improved and developed over time.

His harmonized tones, intended to be used for the verses of a proper, are just magnificent. They take the simple chant verses that can be used at non-Choral Masses and transform them into something really transcendent that, with the right choir, truly sounds like heaven on earth. I've been using these for about the past month and have been blown away by them at every Choral Mass.

Attached is the Communio (in Latin) with English harmonized verses by Bartlett that that I set to use this Sunday. The harmonization, especially on verses with the flex, bring this text from something beautiful to something quite extraordinary.

The world of sacred music owes so much to this gentleman.
    Thanked by 4JulieColl Ben Ally kenstb
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Ever since I saw this video, I have been hoping to see him harmonize all the tones in the SEP. The example below is beyond stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOjaaaZfkkQ
    Thanked by 2JulieColl kenstb
  • Where do I find these psalms by Barlett? Can you post a link? Thanks!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I wonder if this could be used at an EF Mass for the Communion antiphon with Latin verses of course.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    With Latin verses I wouldn't see why not. All that is required in the EF is that the Antiphon be sung once, so anything beyond that would be fine as long as it wasn't profane or in a vernacular language.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    He has 26 of these harmonized tones composed (if I can count correctly - and I'm not sure that's true). If you'd like to help him by typesetting them (they're all handwritten), I'm sure he'd appreciate the help.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Ooooo, I need to upgrade finale, but I would help when I do!
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    (Assuming one could accomplish this task in Finale...)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Very intriguing, Matthew J. I would love to use these with the Communion antiphons at our TLM. What program is needed to typeset these?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I use Microsoft Word and MS Paint.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Egads! That's like the cyber-version of painting the Mona Lisa as petroglyphs in the Lascaux Caves of France. Why, man, why?
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Quick and dirty works
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    oh my.

I thought the MS Paint thing was a joke...
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • donr
    I have some of these type set using Menraid Fonts.
  • Ally
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUn7RtpLBEA

Another video from the Liturgical Institute, if you are interested. I've loved singing his harmonizations!

Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • joerg
    With MusixTeX+PMX+MTX this can be done quite easily. This one took me less than 10 minutes

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thank you all for your kind words about these harmonizations. It has been an ongoing project, and I have been trying to complete an entire collection to get out to everyone for use. I just have so many things in the docket right now that this one keeps slipping down on the priority list.

joerg: I have Lilypond template set up for engraving these, but just haven't gotten to laying them all out. Would you be interested in working with me to get them engraved and available?
  • joerg
    I'd be happy to help. I've sent my email address to Your inbox.
  • CGM
    With Adam's permission, I've posted below my own harmonizations of the melodies of the SEP verses. Unlike Adam's settings, which frequently feature a descant line in the soprano voice and the melody in the alto part, I retained all the verse melodies in the soprano.

I used these with the student schola at Columbia University (along with the SEP antiphons) for the weekly Sunday evening Masses there, with good success.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    CGM, just wondering if you still have a student schola at Columbia? My son might be going to the law school in the fall and would be interested in connecting with the Catholic students.
  • Here's my contribution to the SEP harmonized psalm-tone collection, according to the pitches at which my choirs sing the antiphons. Staff size was sacrificed a bit in favor of portability—copies may be printed on 8.5x11 sheets, tri-folded, and used as bookmarks. (Any resemblance to other harmonizations is strictly coincidental.)

Interested parties may also wish to refer to this thread for earlier contributions.
    Thanked by 2Ben kevinf
  • kenstb
    bkenney27, thanks for posting that link. I love the harmony he chose.