Ut Queant Laxis - St. John the Baptist
  • Mary93
    Hey, Guys!

I'm looking for some music for the feast of John the Baptist coming this Sunday. Does anyone know where I might find some organ music for some hymns -- preferably Latin? I would really like just the music... not a SATB version. Also, if anyone can find it, I would love to have an organ version of Ut Queant Laxis . Please help if you can!
  • Welcome to the forum, Mary!

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Jean Titelouze (1563-1633) has the following organ composition based on Ut queant laxis: http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/4/46/IMSLP133849-WIMA.8b47-Titelouze_Hymne_4_Utqueant.pdf

Also, the Nova Organi Harmonia, vol. 8 has an organ accompaniment for the hymn (p. 196).
  • Protasius
    This coming Sunday is Baptism of the Lord. The feasts of John the Baptist are his Nativity on 24th of June and his Decollation on 29th of August.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Yes, I think there is some extra lead time. I love Titelouze, but the go-to Ut queant is Naji Hakim's variations, the not-very-hard first movement of a Sinfonia in honore Sancti Ioannis Baptistæ.
  • Mary93
    Hey, guys. I'm so sorry! You're right. It is the Baptism of Our Lord. I was confused. In that case, does anyone know some - preferably Latin - hymns that can be used for the Baptism? Or possibly some organ pieces that I can play and have our Choir sing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
  • Heath
    I noticed that all the organ pieces linked above use a DIFFERENT Ut Queant melody for their cantus firmus. Any leads on organ works that use the familiar birth-of-solfege melody as the CF?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Not all; the Hakim uses the new-fangled tune by Guido.
  • PaxTecum
    The best way to accomplish this is probably improvisation. Cantus firmus in the pedal
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    By the way, I believe the chant melody from the Antiphonale Romanum which corresponds to Titelouze's Ut queant laxis would be HERE, AR 1949 p. [68]. It's one of the numerous tunes for "Iste Confessor".