New Gregorian Chant Documentary
  • I am considering creating a documentary about Gregorian Chant. This documentary would show the beauty of chant by exploring these topics:

• History, why Chant matters, importance for the modern world
    • The relationship between Chant and the Liturgy
    • Modern problems with Chant
    • Modern Chant scholarship
    • Who are some of the important singers of Chant in the world right now?

1. What are you suggestions for this project?
    2. Let me know if you would be interested in becoming involved.
  • Joshua, what a great idea! I would also love to see a documentary on sacred liturgical church music be made. A DVD that makes a connection between liturgy and hymn selections! If there is something like this out there that I'm not aware of, please let me know!!
    Thanked by 1Joshua Guenther
  • How long a documentary are you planning? Full-length?
    That would be awesome!!
    Who would you say is an "important singer of Chant in the world right now?"
    And how can I become involved?
  • Sounds awesome! I'd love to be involved.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I'm in! My brother is very skilled with film and movie production so, shoot me an email if you want contact info!
  • I think this sounds like a great and timely project.
    Under your fifth bullet point, might I suggest inclusion of various levels of singers and ensembles? I'm thinking:

religious communities that sing chant excellently
    academic groups
    scholas with lots of experience
    intermediate and beginner scholas
    youth choirs
    requiem choirs
    singing congregations
    chant classes/camps/workshops
    singing clergy

In my experience teaching chant, people are much more likely to want to be a part of their heritage when they see that there is something for everyone within the vast body of Gregorian chant. It is not for elites alone. There are prayers to be sung at the most expert and the most novice levels. I can't think of another body of music that fits that description... though I'm probably forgetting something.
  • This is a great initiative! Next to the above I would also like to suggest:

- showing that Gregorian chant is universal: it's equally sung in St. Peters in Rome, a rural parish in Texas or an urban parish in the Philippines (I don't know about your budget, but it would be awesome to record chant sung in the living liturgy at different places in the world).
    - showing that Gregorian chant is timeless: at Solesmes in France, the restoration of Gregorian chant is still in process by studying centuries old manuscripts (again, I don't know about your budget, but shooting at Solesmes would also be awesome).

If you're still looking for a filmmaker, I can recommend Maarten Roos of Lightcurve Films. I worked with him before (on the Transit of Venus).
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It could also look at the growing repertoire of English chant coming out from Bartlett, Fr Weber, et all
    Thanked by 2Ben Joshua Guenther
  • as long as you don't tell people that Gregorian chant is something that just come from Pope Gregory the Great then I guess you have come a long way. It has a much more interesting history...
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Might it be wise to point out at this stage that documentaries such as "INTO GREAT SILENCE (Carthusian chant)" as well as a couple about the Cistercians of Heiligenkreuz, not to mention those produced by JMO and CCW have already covered some "bases?" Just saying.
  • Yeah, there's been a lot of basses covered.
    Bring on the trebles!

Badda boom.
  • Fantastic ideas, everyone. This is exactly the feedback I was hoping for. Very exciting...