Who dares to sing this Christmas eve?
  • Simon
    Any takers? 99% of the audience don't know what we're singing anyway.
    670 x 1013 - 86K
  • If I had a choir, I'd do it. As it is, the cantor doesn't know how to chant, and I'm only a substitute organist...
  • This might be fun.
  • Kathy
    At a party, sure. At Mass, of course not.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Oh, what the heck. I've heard a CD of "Puer natus est" piped through the speakers before Mass during Lent, just to set a penitential mood.
  • My college chamber choir sang the traditional American song 'Duc me ad ludum pilae".
  • gregpgregp
    Is this the Solesmes or Vatican edition?
    Thanked by 3ZacPB189 Mark M. Ben
  • A very amusing farce! From whence came it?
    I would wager that if one brought this out at a Christmas party while all were besotted with wassail and singing carols, all the guests would gleefully chime in, sing with all the gusto they could summon, and forget that they 'couldn't' make sense of square notes and Latin.
  • SalieriSalieri
    It's from the Antiphonale Neo Eburniensis.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Daniel, is there a turbo chorus on that one?
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    no
  • francis
    ...and don't forget about the O Antlerphons leading up to Christmas! I believe there are eight tiny ones.
  • SalieriSalieri
    My pastor suggested (jokingly, of course) that we sing it as the recessional at tonight's vigil Mass before the Children's Christmas Party.
  • I emailed it to the director of a choir I'm in. While amenable to chant, she doesn't know a word of Latin. I told her I couldn't find a translation but that it was an ancient text in honor of Saint Rudolfus Magnior and Saint Nicholas, who were great friends.

Next thing I knew, she was suggesting we sing it for the prelude to the Christmas eve Mass we'll be singing at.
    I brought it to rehearsal, sung it through once, and then handed her a translation I had written. The look on her face was priceless!
  • chonakchonak
    I hope you didn't really make your choir director waste a bunch of time - at this time of year - by taking advantage of her lack of Latin knowledge. The idea of making someone look foolish sounds obnoxious to me.
  • waste a bunch of time

That would be true for some choirs, and some choir directors. (perhaps most)
    In this case, our choir is very lax and we spend a good amount of time speaking about things not related to the music. I felt that a little time could justly be diverted.

at this time of year

Our choir is only singing at one Mass within the next four weeks. It still may be hectic in this season, but we had plenty of time to have fun in.

taking advantage of her lack of Latin knowledge

Mrs. Vogel is doing good work, and we are singing good stuff, and I don't want to come across as being rude to her. She (thankfully) did not take it that way (I think); indeed, she laughed for five minutes straight.

We may still sing it as part of the prelude--I'll give an update once everything's decided...

And, by the way, in another schola (run by a CMAA member; indeed, one of the greats--who understands Latin) I showed this to the director during break and he was so tickled that he photocopied it and handed it out with a straight face. We were sight-reading it until I broke down with a nervous case of the giggles when Sancte Nicholas dixit "O Rudolphe".
    In this case, he took advantage of the lack of Latin knowledge of the rest of the choir, wasting a bunch of time at this time of the year, and it was all his fault.

I apologize for coming across as being rude, wasting time, or anything of the sort. And I do appreciate your concern for Mrs. Vogel, chonak. If I were a serious musical director of any sort, I might have been (at the least) annoyed. Maybe it'll be a lesson for me to think a bit more before pranking anybody thus...
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • I think that this Latin Rudolph is the sort of mirthful fun one would have at a party, or after mass in the parish hall. I scratch my head as to why anyone would sing it as prelude music for mass. Whether it's in Latin or English, chant or other, it is quite inappropriate for mass or its attendant prelude (or postlude). I really hope that you don't do this.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, using this before, during, or after Holy Mass would be gravely disturbing.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • canadashcanadash
    I sent it to our Deacon, who will be singing the proclamation this year. I told him that it might be a good substitute. He thought it rather funny, especially since his name is Rudolph.
    Thanked by 1futurefatherz
  • Was there once a score on this page? I thought I saw the score of this outside of the video, but now I can't find it anywhere.
  • Spriggo
    I'm still seeing the score in the OP.
  • Oh, there it is! It wasn't visible to me last time I was here.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • CharlesW
    I would rather work on the Missa di Poli Woli Doodle Kyrie from "The Treble Wore Trouble."

http://www.sjmpbooks.com/files/missa_di_poli_woli.pdf
    Thanked by 2kevinf expeditus1
  • A friend is having a super-late Christmas party on Sunday for Presentation, and I thought this would be a good gag.
  • Oh, CharlesW. That Poli Woli Doodle Kyrie is a source of guilty mirth for me!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW