question RE the use of candles at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve
  • Mark K
    Greetings: I’m looking for advice on incorporating candlelight into our Midnight Mass this year. Does anyone have experience/opinions on the people in the pews using individual candles in a way similar to the Easter Vigil? I was thinking this might make the atmosphere more reverent; however, I can’t find much information on doing this for Christmas Eve. Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated! Mark
  • jpal
    Reverence is a laudable goal, but perhaps using music and decor would be preferable. The candles at Easter have a specific theological function inherent in the liturgy. There's nothing like that in the Christmas liturgy.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Liam
    My own thought is that the Midnight Mass should not try to echo the Easter Vigil in this regard. Also, if you expect people to sing, having them hold candles is counterproductive. (It's one them for them to be holding candles during the simple dialogues of the Service of Light in the Easter Vigil; it's another for them to be holding candles for anything prolonged to sing - they need to be able to hold and read the hymnal/program.)
  • At the same time, I think Midnight Mass (like most evening Masses) is much more prayerful without all the lights on full blast. It actually feels like nighttime - imagine that! There is much more sense of vigil - keeping watch in the night. Even without giving out individual candles, you could keep the lights low and put lots of candles around the church.

If the candles at the Easter Vigil have a theological purpose, why do we blast on all the electric lights right after everyone lights their candles? The rubrics only say that "lights are lit throughout the church" not "every possible light MUST be lit". In attempting to recover a sense of mystery and stillness, reflection, etc., candlelight can be a valuable means. I also see nothing wrong with handing out individual candles at Midnight Mass, beyond logistics, and as long as quasi-liturgical prayers and candle blessings or candle-lighting instructions are not disrupting the liturgy. In a place without electricity, would it be somehow wrong to hand out candles before a liturgy?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Modern Westerners don't know how to function in low lighting.

The reason all the lights get turned on? Every possible light, without exception, including the ones in the sacristy?
    Because no one thinks about this stuff, and ushers ministers of hospitality can't follow directions even if someone were to have thought to do something different.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Liam
    Midnight Mass is, however, *not* a vigil Mass.
  • Liam
    The Easter Vigil in the OF is clear that the purposes of candles in the pews is merely for the Service of Light and the renewal of baptismal promises, and nothing else. They have discrete liturgical purposes. No keeping the lights dim and pew candles lit for the Liturgy of the Word before the Gloria, for example...
  • Midnight Mass is a Mass in the middle of the night...and I think it is helpful for us as human beings to feel that it is, in fact, nighttime when we participate in a nighttime liturgy. Adam - we certainly do know how to function in low lighting. Case in point - candlelight dinners and NICE restaurants with tasteful lighting as well as tasteful food.

The Easter vigil candles have a specific liturgical purpose. However, candles are at all times a legitimate source of light.

Sometimes a candle is just a candle.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    I think human beings know it's nighttime even when the lights are on full blast, and the liturgy is not a candlelight dinner or occurring at a nice restaurant. If anything, on great feasts, the Roman practice would be to increase the light level even for Masses at nighttime.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    candlelight dinners and NICE restaurants with tasteful lighting as well as tasteful food.

Percentage of your congregation that has engaged in this activity at least once in the last year?
  • OP:

Look at the introits for the three Masses of Christmas. Lux fulgebit is for Mass at dawn.

• Hang on - I have to ask: Are some posters here actually arguing that there is some theological dictum that militates against the use of candles during the liturgy?

Or that there is some kind of rubrically-appropriate level of light for liturgies, according to Roman practice? So, it is inappropriate to not turn on every light in the building for solemnities? This is utter nonsense. If people choose to use candlelight rather than electric light, that is perfectly fine. And I dare anyone on this forum to come up with official liturgical legislation to the contrary.

Adam - I'm guessing nearly everyone has been to a nice-ish restaurant in the past year, at least, most everyone with an anniversary, birthday, wedding reception or other special event to celebrate. But even if they haven't, I think most people would instinctively recognize "class" on walking into a nice restaurant. Lighting is one key cue in that regard.

And yes, the liturgy is not a restaurant meal - did that REALLY have to be said? I'm making a connection between one human experience and another. Lower lighting (especially candles) says "special - mysterious - removed from daily life - transcendent" most church lighting I see nowdays says "Wal-Mart". Restaurant owners know this - I wish liturgists/pastors/musicians would think about it more. Even hideous churches can be quite nice and conducive to prayer if we just turn the lights down.
    This goes along with electronic amplification of everything said or done during the liturgy, and our current obsession with hearing and seeing everything liturgical in explicit detail. That's participation, right?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Candlelight - the beer goggles of Catholic liturgical architecture.
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood Ben R J Stove
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just to be clear:

If I could have ALL liturgies in darkness and candlelight, I would do so.
    The traditional form of the Roman Rite has the priest refer to the Mass as "an evening sacrifice," and Pickstock argues convincingly that, regardless of the clock time, all liturgies take place in "the evening."

I was saying that the actual reason this sort of thing isn't more common is that:

-when you suggest it, people will pre-emptively complain about not being able to see

-when you try it, people will complain about not being able to see (even if they can see just fine, and even if there isn't anything that needs to be seen)

-most of the time, no one thinks to do this sort of thing anyway

-when people do think to do anything related to light-changes during a liturgy, the people who think to do it are usually otherwise busy during the liturgy (flapping arms, puching buttons, deaconeering, whatever) and so there is a 90-second explanation of how/when/what to do given to some 75 year old usher minister of inhospitableness who can barely tell whether the lights are on or not. This person then misses the cue and/or panics, and the rest of the liturgy is punctuated with various lights intermittently being turned on or off. Following this, whoever came up with the idea vows to never ever suggest such a thing in the future.

-the on/off lighting panic also happens when there is no cue to miss, and when the lighting is preset before the liturgy, and the intention is to keep it that way the entire time. This happens because some damn old fogey usher busy-body Martha-like soul will "notice" the "problem" about halfway through the liturgy it take it upon himself to "fix" the "problem."
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Is any hymn besides Silent night ever used for the passing of the flame? Some places (including my present parish in the past) do this at the dismissal, sending the people wet-cheeked out into the parking lot. I moved it to the post communion (symbol of unity?) to make way for the sprightlier Hark, the herald angels sing.
  • ryandryand
    Candles only.
    No microphones.
    No instruments (organ if necessary).

Sounds like a Catholic Church to most people ... except for the Catholics.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ryandryand
    No joke, that's the caricature I encounter most often.

One friend (non-catholic) speaking/singing in jest to another friend (non-catholic) did an impromptu Amen chant which was better than anything I've heard from any OF "choir"

I WISH that the average Catholic liturgy was what the mainstream culture views it as.
    Thanked by 2bkenney27 chonak
  • CharlesW
    Candles everywhere? I hope the insurance company doesn't cancel your church policy.
    Someone falls in dim light? Chisel, Finagle and Swindle - attorneys at law will be visiting you. Ambiance? Who brought Martha Stewart to mass? Better check the altar arrangements to see if the feng shui is right.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • I WISH that the average Catholic liturgy was what the mainstream culture views it as.

I JUST had this conversation with my organ teacher this weekend!
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Kathy
    As a compromise, might I suggest having a boatload of altar servers carrying candles in the Entrance Procession, kneeling with them at the Offertory, and carrying them again at the recessional?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    How about putting those servers with candles in swan boats and criss-crossing the sanctuary? Put the smaller servers in a small boat and switch to a larger boat with larger servers as they near the congregation. Perhaps a nice Wagner piece would add a bit of theatrical flair.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    I like kirchenmusik's idea: keep the lights lower than normal, except in the sanctuary. If your church's side windows have sills where you can stand a candle, put one at each window.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Some churches have more lighting control than others. One that I frequently assist at allows you to control everything, so for our monthly men's nights, we keep the hanging lights in the nave quite low, the side altars a little higher, and the sanctuary moderately bright (basically, bright, but not too bright where it would be distracting compared with the rest of the church).

On top of that, we do add extra candles around the church, such as votive candles lighting the confessionals or the little tea candles in the windows. This way it "feels" candlelit, without actually needing to have hundreds of candles. We get away with about 30-50, and it's really beautiful.

Before (daytime, full lights, no candles)

After (late evening, candles, adjusted lights)
  • Mark K
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies: it has given me lots to think about. I'm going to recommend that we dim the lights down as much as possible in the nave and add lots of candles like Ben and others have suggested, keeping the sanctuary better lit.

Our previous church building (sadly condemned in 2012 due to a structural defect) had a beautiful high altar with 3 tall candles on either side of the tabernacle. For now, we are using the neighboring United Church building so I'm thinking we might put those 6 candles on the floor in front of the altar (the UC altar itself is too narrow to hold them).

This will be our second Christmas in the United Church building and they have been very generous to us over the past year and a half. As for my town, it is small (pop 1000) and we are planing for about 150 people to be at Midnight Mass - a big crowd for us ;-) Thanks for your help!
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Midnight Mass at my place is televised. It'll be interesting to see the amount of lighting required, as on a regular Sunday Mass I'm pretty much blinded by spotlights, and that's while it is light outside.
  • KARU27
    Candles at Midnight Mass?
    I certainly loved "Silent Night" with candles, when I was Lutheran. And I've played at Methodist Christmas eve services with candlelight singing. Somehow it doesn't seem Catholic to me now! : )
  • 1) Candles are either a) liturgical or b) sacramental. In our homes and in other places candles are used to set a "mood," but this is not the case in the Catholic Church, so far as I can tell.

2) The topic demonstrates the confusion bred by the Liturgical Movement with the stripping away of important symbols and their ritual meaning and significance. It's no longer the depth of meaning that is important, it is the emotional response that becomes the measure of spiritual depth.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You have to light a room somehow. Is it a violation of the true meaning of liturgy to think about how to do that in a way that is conducive to prayer?
    Thanked by 2Ben JacobFlaherty
  • BenBen
    There's also nothing liturgical about industrial florescent lighting. Other than the 2-12 altar candles and any processional candles and torches, no lighting is "liturgical".

Why not use something that's beautiful? God works through emotions as well.

What "depth of meaning" do florescent lighting units hold?
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • CharlesW
    Was it candles in early churches? It was not. It was olive oil lamps as in the great church at Constantinople. Candles? Is outrage! Next you be wanting Protestant pews to rest your sacred hineys, instead of standing with the risen Christ as holy Council of Nicaea commanded. Double outrage!
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • Liam
    Well, the original quesiton was not about lighting the worship space as such, but specifically about echoing the Easter Vigil with people in the pews holding lit candles. My series of responses has been with that more specific issue in mind, just to be clear. I am not focusing on art & environment decor with candles.

I should say that I've seen this creativity over on the other wing of things, shall we say. Even to turn the Christmas Vigil into a prolonged service of the word and such. My sense at the time was that we should let the Easter Vigil be the Easter Vigil, and the four different Masses of Christmas be their respective things. Also, my impression has been that the candlelit Christmas Eve service is more mainstream Protestant in origin (at least in denominations that historically came to terms with the use of candles at all!); the more classic Catholic seasonal reference would be Rorate Masses, which occur just before dawn during Advent. And, if the people are not relying on anything to sing, they can more readily accommodate holding candles than if they are holding hymnals/programs to sing (Protestants classically being more apt to sing entire hymns from memory than typical Amurkin Katlicks).
  • Kathy
    At St. Mary Major last Sunday (celebration of Immaculate Conception), 6 or 8 fellows in suits each held a candle in front of the altar during the Eucharistic Prayer. My guess is this is a fairly old custom there.
  • Kathy
    And let's not forget the Ambrosian Rite faro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaDKT2apEEA

I'm not sure we should so easily call all liturgical fun "Protestant."
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • CharlesW
    That is a fascinating device and was probably needed to overcome the essence of smelly pilgrims after the long trek to get there.
  • Kathy
    And don't forget Pope Benedict on Easter laughter.
  • I also feel that the Christmas vigil or midnight mass should not echo the Easter vigil. Let them be different things. I have seen, however, churches with slightly dim the lights with lots of candles in the sanctuary.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    I agree, by the way, that the Easter Vigil candles are liturgicaly specific to that vigil and shouldn't be duplicated at Midnight Mass. But there are lots of nice things you can do with candles. Just having processional candle-bearers wear white gloves dresses things up. So does increasing their number.
  • I have no dog in the candles fight; nevertheless, the reference to Catherine Pickstock does baffle me. Her writing is way above my pay-grade, intellectually speaking, me being like Winnie-the-Pooh "a Bear of Very Little Brain"; but is she not, in fact, an Anglican? I don't mean Anglican as in Ordinariate fully adhering to Rome, I mean Anglican as in ... Anglican.

Has she in fact converted to Catholicism? My understanding - please correct me if I am mistaken - is that she has not done so and does not contemplate doing so. In which case, well, not wanting to be rude - let alone Feeneyite - or anything, but her authority to set down rules for the rest of us on the liturgically correct celebration of a Catholic Mass is derived ... whence exactly?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My reference to her writing was simply on something she pointed out about the TEXT of the Tridentine Rite, and a (convincing, to me) academic discussion about the nature of liturgical time. She didn't lay out a "rule," she made an observation.

Perhaps my reference was above the paygrade of this whole ridiculous conversation.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Adam - ridiculous, yes, and also very ironic. In my general experience, more liberal and progressive liturgists have tended to embrace things like candlelight services. The same people that rail against medievalisms and anachronisms in the liturgy. Yet, candlelight services (which tend to be very popular) are a deliberate anachronism, introduced for the purpose of making the environment more contemplative and suitable for prayer. And traditionalists seem to be generally suspicious of low lighting as some kind of liturgical innovation.

I can only repeat - sometimes a candle is just a candle...
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • All right, thanks, I speak as someone who self-confessedly knows very little about Catherine Pickstock. Being one whose fave authors include Lord Macaulay, Sir Herbert Butterfield, and C.S. Lewis, I can hardly be accused of anti-Protestant sentiments.

When an author comes up (as Dr. Pickstock has come up) with rubrics like "God and Meaning in Music: Messiaen, Deleuze, and the Musico-Theological Critique of Modernism and Postmodernism", I'm struggling to get my head around even the title. My ability to understand the actual analysis is zilch, zip, nada, niente, rien.

If I could comprehend Dr. Pickstock's work, I could well have good words for it even if she turned out to be a 33rd-Degree Freemason at a Belfast lodge who has made from her lounge-room a shrine dedicated to Plutarco Calles. But I can't comprehend it.

Whereas I can comprehend The Thirty-Nine Articles of Anglicanism, where transubstantiation is explicitly denounced.
  • Speaking of liturgical candles, the February 2 feast of the Presentation/Purification (aka Candlemas) falls on a Sunday in 2014. Right there in the Missal, there are prayers for blessing and lighting candles, to be held by all in attendance. There are chants for it and everything.

Sometimes this feast is considered the close of a 40-day Christmas season.
  • Liam
    Indeed, that is the other liturgical use of candles by the PIPS. But that's not as a *liturgically* envisioned option for Midnight Mass. (Putting art & environment issues aside.) Also, there's not a ton of singing being done by the PIPs while this is going on; typically, at most it's Lift Up Your Heads Ye Mighty Gates, and I will observe that people either make a choice to sing or to hold a candle but not both at the same time unless they are musicians who know that hymn by heart.... (it's actually my memory of Presentations past in this regard that is the foundation of my practical concern in this regard....the problem now is that fewer and fewer Catholics know traditional hymnody by heart, and we weren't starting from a high number to begin with!)

In Catholic Germanic countries, 2/2 indeed was when Christmas greens would be taken down (and attentions turn more directly to Carnival-like preparations for Lent). I knew German-American families back in the 1970s who kept their trees and greens up until that date. My family typically took decorations down on the last weekend in January (the tree and creche went up after the little children went to bed on Xmas Eve).
  • CharlesW
    I am burned out with it already and no, I do not burn candles at both ends. With rehearsals, planning, etc. it seems that the candle is already burned out with two weeks or so to go. Need some relaxing reading...

Global Megatrends to Watch in 2014 re outlooks on the U.S. energy renaissance, the reorientation of the Chinese economy, monetary policy, blah, blah, blah...

Well, that didn't work out so well...
  • Okay, thank you, Mr. Wood. I had not seen previously the NLM / Jeffrey Tucker article you cited concerning Dr. Pickstock (or even heard of it) and I am happy to report that I have now read it.

Even I, with my room-temperature I.Q., was able to comprehend this essay. That is no doubt because Dr. Tucker writes English which I can follow, whereas the one time I attempted to read a book actually written by Dr. Pickstock herself, I mistook it for a newly unearthed Heidegger manuscript translated by the Internal Revenue Service.

What I did not obtain from Dr. Tucker's commentary, no doubt as a result of my own invincible ignorance, was an answer to my original question: Is Dr. Pickstock a baptized Roman Catholic or is she not? But I presume I am not going to get a response on this thread to that particular inquiry, so I shall cease commenting here, and allow others to discourse upon the fascinating original subject of ... candles.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    She's an Anglican.

And yes, her prose is super dense. I consider myself a smart person, and of above average fluency in academic theory-speak. Her book was still quite a struggle for me, and required me to stop and go read Plato. (I would have had to stop and go read Derrida also, but I couldn't find an English trans. of the essay she kept referring to.)

Once you get past the post-modern academic style, her basic thesis is straightforward and relevant:
    It is liturgy itself which gives language meaning. Outside of the Mass, or in a culture devoid of liturgy, there is no meaning at all.