Psalm Tone III changed - Nunc Dimittis
  • I have always chanted the Nunc Dimittis of compline to tone III with the reciting note on the fourth above the first note of the intonation, matching the beginning of the antiphon Salva nos. I think this is how the Liber Usualis has it. However, I note in various sources (e.g., the Liber Cantualis) that the reciting note seems to have move to the third, and the beginning of the antiphon altered to match. How can a psalm tone change so radically?

I suppose this may be a somewhat academic question, but, practically, I have to adopt either one or the other. Any suggestions for preferring one over the other would be appreciated. Have the new tones been officially promulgated by the Church, i.e., they are now the normative tones for the Roman Rite, so I should adopt them, or are they merely experimental tones, in which case I should remain with the traditional usage? Comments on this are likewise welcome. Thanks.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    The restoration of the dominant of mode III to ti was done by Solesmes in the Monastic Antiphonale in 1934, as an optional Tonus Antiquior in place of the Tonus Recentior (reciting on do); the ancient dominant has been completely restored by Solesmes in the new Antiphonale Monasticum and Antiphonale Romanum for the OF.

There is some debate about whether the recitation on ti can be used in the EF since it does not appear in the older Roman books: I have sung the Usus Antiquior (EF) with the Tonus Antiquior with the FSSP, which seems to say it is permitted.

If you are using the OF I would certainly use the New-Old Mode III as in the New Solesmes books; if using the EF I would use the Tonus Recentior. However, if you are singing with a group of people, the majority of which are already proficient in chanting, reciting on do could be too difficult a habit to break.

Just for the sake of completeness - the reciting tone of Mode III (and Mode VIII) was raised from ti to do during the days of polyphonic writing to avoid the diminished fifth (tritone) between the dominant (ti) and the second (fa), this could have been fixed by the sharpening of fa but that would distroy the Phrygian quality of Mode III, so it was decided to raise the reciting tone from ti to do. (This is the whole 'mi against fa is the devil in musica': the mi of the 'hard hexachord' [g(do)-a(re)-b(mi)] against the fa of the 'natural hexachord' [c(do)-d(re)-e(mi)-f(fa)].)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Thank you for explaining the saying, Salieri!
  • Within the Personal Ordinariates of the Anglican use, I think that Mode III psalm tones are always going to be preferred to be on the do clef. Thats the way too many people grew up hearing it. It is associated as being traditional for the end of Evensong/Compline.

Yet, there will always also be some people conflicted on whether Mode III should use more "C" or "B". I can never make up my mind and set it both ways, depending how the notes in the antiphon going with are or depending on whoever shows up wants to sing it...

• joerg
    In the Graduale Simplex the third mode still has the do.
    Also in the modern Solesmes editions the si is still somewhat weaker, because
    In the cadenzas of the psalm tones it's usually raised to do.
  • Could someone post the ti version?
  • Yes, I noticed that Rorate article about ten minutes after I posted and promptly downloaded. I see the 'ti version now.
  • mahrt
    It is to be acknowledged that the ti reciting tone is older, but the move to do was, I believe, much earlier than the cause could have been an influence of polyphonic music.
    Thanked by 2ronkrisman CHGiffen
  • Thanks for that explanation, Salieri. I knew there must have been some justification for Solesmes editions returning to SI as the reciting note. I must say, though, that the discussion has left me more confused than ever as to which version I should personally use, and encourage the use of more broadly.

Modern editions seem to prefer SI, but I have only ever seen this in print. I have never ever heard the Nunc Dimittis sung this way, a point which was reinforced this morning by the music played as background music to drown out voices during a second-rite First Reconciliation, which seemed to be a random selection of chant (which began with an In Paradisum) but included the Nunc Dimittis, sung on DO.

Given that I only ever heard it sung on DO, perhaps it is too much of an effort to shift what seems to be established practice, and it would be easier just to follow the traditional usage, even if that wasn't the earliest practice.
  • Here are two recordings of the Nunc dimittis, one with recitation on DO (extracted from a recording by the Cistercian monks of Stift Heiligenkreuz) and one with recitation on SI (extracted from a recording by Vatican Radio):

DO: http://www.kleingraduale.nl/audio/NuncDimittisDO.mp3
    SI: http://www.kleingraduale.nl/audio/NuncDimittisSI.mp3
  • RobertRobert
    The probable cause of the drift to DO is the inherent instability of the SI--even, today, amateur singers often get confused by semitones. Same goes for the drift to to the ti-flat in many Mode I pieces.