What hymns are you using for Advent?
  • Just interested to see what you will be using for Advent. I find that most parishes around where i live have a severely limited repertoire for this time of year.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Advent I:
    O Come, O Come Emmanuel
    O Come Divine Messiah

Advent II:
    On Jordan's Bank
    Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus

Advent III:
    Rejoice, the Lord is King
    O Quickly Come Dread Judge of All

Advent IV:
    O Come, O Come Emmanuel
    Creator of the Stars of Night
  • BenBen
    Here's what I'm doing with my schola:

Advent I:
    Adoro Te - communion
    Veni Veni Emmanuel - Recessional

Immaculate Conception
    it's EF, so there's no Advent II celebrated this yr
    Ave Maris Stella - Offertory or communion
    Immaculate Mary - Recessional

Advent III:
    Creator Alme Siderum - Offertory
    Rejoice, the Lord is King - Recessional

No sung Mass on Advent IV.
  • CharlesW
    Advent I
    O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
    The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns

Advent II
    On Jordan's Bank
    People, Look East

Advent III
    Wake, O Wake, and Sleep No Longer
    O Come, Divine Messiah

Advent IV
    Savior of the Nations, Come
    Comfort, Comfort, O My People

All masses: Richard Clark's Advent Communion Propers - and they are great!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Advent I
    Lo, He comes with clouds descending
    Blest be the King whose coming (St. Theodulf)

Advent II
    Come, Thou Redeemer of the earth (David Willcocks, arr.)
    A maiden most gentle (Andrew Carter, arr.)

Advent III
    Rejoice, the Lord is King (Darwall's 148th)
    O come divine Messiah

Advent IV
    Come, thou long expected Jesus (Stuttgart)
    The King shall come when morning dawns (St. Stephen)

• Advent I

People Look East
    Here I Am Lord
    Ubi Caritas

Advent II

On Jordan's Bank
    Change Our Hearts
    Gift of Finest Wheat
    People Look East

Advent III

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
    Come Thou Long Expected Jesus
    I Am the Bread of Life

Advent IV

O Come O Come Emmanuel
    O Sanctissima
    I Am the Bread of Life
    People Look East

• Mostly settings of propers but also

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
    On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry
    People Look East
    Savior of the Nations, Come
    O Come, O Come Emmanuel
    Creator of the Stars of Night
  • Never heard of "People Look East." Must look it up.
  • I'm interested and a will look up the score tomorrow.
  • ryandryand
    I've used O Come, O Come Emannuel a capella for all 4 weeks at the last few parishes I've been at. It seemed to fit the season, and because its so familiar, there was a lot of singing.
    Thanked by 1Steve Q
  • ronkrisman
    All but one of the responses so far have included Veni Emmanuel / O Come, O Come, Emmanuel. That is one of my choices as well for Advent, although I prefer to use it during the final two weeks of the season.

I'm wondering how most folks perform the hymn. This past Saturday I attended Mass with my mother and youngest brother in Kansas City, KS. JourneySongs was in the pew. I found the chord changes on each note of the hymn so ponderous that even I had difficulty singing a full phrase without having to grab a breath somewhere in the middle. The rest of the assembly seemed to have the same problem
  • I'm using one verse of Veni Emmanuel as a recessional for each of the ferial days--a cappella. The semester ends on 12/13, otherwise I would have saved it for the final two weeks. When I accompany it, I keep the chord changes to a minimum.

I find the a cappella recessional quite effective for Advent and Lent. In my last parish we sang a couple verses of the Stabat Mater each Sunday of Lent, though in Advent we usually did a full hymn since there are so many good ones!

We are singing the proper hymns for MP and EP (Vox clara & Conditor Alme) both in Latin and English on alternating days. And for our early Novena (which starts tonight) we are singing the following entrance hymns:

12/4 O Come, O Come, Emmanuel VENI EMMANUEL
    12/5 Wake, O Wake and Sleep No Longer WACHET AUF
    12/6 Comfort, Comfort, O My People GENEVA
    12/7 Hark, A Herald Voice is Calling MERTON
    12/8 Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus STUTTGART
    12/9 Lo! How A Rose ES IST EIN ROS’
    12/10 O Come, Divine Messiah VENEZ, DIVIN MESSIE
    12/11 Savior of the Nations Come NUN KOMM
    12/12 Of The Father’s Love Begotten VICINUM MYSTERIUM

Conditor Alme (at least the tune) is sung every night as is the Alma Redemptor

I've used all the above hymns for Parish liturgies in the past with the exception of MERTON since it wasn't in the hymnal. I have to admit that WACHET AUF was always a hard sale. It's a great hymn, but only programming 1-2 times a year, it never quite caught on.
  • CharlesW
    One year, I used "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" each week during Advent. Many in the congregation said they were sick of it by the time Advent ended. I now use it for one Sunday then drop it. The same for "Savior of the Nations (Heathen) Come." I always liked that word, "heathen." It has a convincing ring to it. ;-)
  • One can't win. The year I "saved" O Come Emmanuel for the 4th Sunday I was chastised on the 3rd for not having played it!
  • We're using "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" as the Recessional Hymn for Advent IV.

However, we also used it this past weekend for Advent I in a responsorial manner as the Communion hymn. The cantor sang the refrain first, then all repeated it. Then the cantor/choir alone sang the verses. The congregation sang very well on the refrain, without the need to even look at the hymnal, and we even got to sing all seven verses for once!

(Of course, liturgical purists might not care to use this hymn outside of its original intent as the "O antiphons." But looking at the above posts, it seems that "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" has perhaps become the primary hymn that congregations especially associate with Advent.)
  • I use it on Advent III and IV. This way they get to sing it twice, but it doesn't become burdensome from doing it four weeks in a row.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I use it on Advent III and IV. This way they get to sing it twice, but it doesn't become burdensome from doing it four weeks in a row.

1 and 4
  • matthewjmatthewj
    1 and 4 makes the most sense for me, unless you're singing it in Latin, in which case 3 makes some sense.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Also with the eschatological elements of the First Sunday of Advent, using it on Sundays 3 and 4 might make the most sense if you want to use it twice during Advent, leaving room on Advent I for The King Shall Come and Lo He Comes with Clouds Descending or O Quickly Come Dread Judge of All.
    Thanked by 2ryand BruceL
  • Spriggo
    I like Fr. Jim's idea to use it as a Communion hymn. So, Advent III (Communion) and Advent 4 (Entrance).
  • donr
    I use it Advent I, III, and IV
  • SalieriSalieri
    If I do Veni, veni Emmanuel (in Latin) I do it accapella (occasionally using the 2nd part discovered by Dr. Berry, and appearing in NOBC); if in English I use David Willcocks' version.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>occasionally using the 2nd part discovered by Dr. Berry

what what?
  • Kathy
    Here's a nice setting of Veni, Emmanuel, from CPDL http://music.dalitio.de/choir/dalitz/veni-emanuel/veni_emanuel_simple.pdf
  • SalieriSalieri
    I should've said "second voice part" (if that's what the what what is).

There is a two voice version in the New Oxford Book of Carols, which was discovered by Dr. Berry in a Franciscan Processionale originally intended for use by Franciscan nuns. The text in the original is a set of tropes of the Libera me (Responsory at the ende of the Requiem Mass). If I have time I might scan it and upload here (for educational purposes only).
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood hilluminar
  • I've always wondered about the use of Lo! How a Rose during Advent. It is listed in my hymnal as Christmas with the text using the past tense implying that Christmas has already come. Is there another text or a custom with which I am unfamiliar that makes this appropriate for Advent? (No snarkiness... genuine curiosity.)
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • For the Entrance, I'm using the Taizé "Wait for the Lord" every Sunday, but after the intonation and repeat I stick the proper introit text set to a psalm tone (in English) before resuming the ostinato.

Organ music at Offertory except at choir Masses, where we do an appropriate anthem/motet

Communion: Antiphon and Psalm from Psallite collection.

Recessional: "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" - 2 stanzas each Sunday (1-2 on I Advent, 3-4 on II, 5-6 on III, 1 & 7 on IV)
  • ronkrisman
    While "Es Ist Ein' Ros'" has a very strong Marian theme, IMO it is a Christmas carol, and not an Advent one - not even for the last few days of Advent. The text speaks of the fulfillment of prophesy. The Rose is blooming, it has sprung from tender stem. It came amid the cold of winter. With Mary we behold it. The sweet fragrance of this Flower fill the air.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Reval
  • Kathy
    For once I agree with Fr. Krisman. It's definitely a Christmas hymn.

I'm not crazy about verse three of the hymn in English, but it's beautiful in German. Das blumelein so kleine...
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • I am not a big fan of "O Come O Come Emmanuel", but to the people it signals the start of the Advent season. I used it for Advent I and will most probably bring it back for Advent 4. Also, "Lo How a Rose" is listed in the SMH as an Advent hymn, and although I agree with my esteemed cyber colleagues that it is a Christmas hymn, I am using it for Advent 2 as it speaks of Jesse, which is one of the readings.
  • donr
    I will also be using it for Advent II
  • I suppose we could also use the refrain of "O Come O Come Emmanuel" as an entrance antiphon for Gaudete Sunday since it's "rejoice". I would use it before the regular hymn for Advent 3, which I haven't chosen yet.
  • I thought that people would use some adaption of "Rorate Caeli" for Advent IV.

I may attempt to institute a program wherby the choir will chant certain things instead of constant congregational singing
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'd like to do some variation of Rorate Caeli as well. I was thinking of using the SATB antiphon of Leo Nestor's Rorate Caeli but alternating it with plainchant verses by the women on verse 1, men on verse 2 and all on verses 3 and 4.

There is also this SATB antiphon from cpdl.org, but once you hear Leo Nestor's, nothing else will do, I'm afraid.
  • We do the chanted "Rorate Coeli" with cantor on verses, refrain with choir.

Another Advent piece that we enjoy is "En Clara Vox Redarguit."
  • tomjaw
    Advent I
    Mysterium Eccelsiae, Ambrosian Vespers Hymn.
    Vox clara ecce intonat, Advent Lauds Hymn, Dominican melody.
    Marian Anthem, Alma Redemptoris Mater.

Feast of the Immaculate Conception
    Motets (Dixit Maria, Hassler and Ave Maria Parsons)

Advent III
    Motets... to be confirmed

Advent IV
    Veni, veni Emmanuel
    another chant item to be decided.

N.B. This is for the EF, we don't usually have time for an entrance hymn (we have the Asperges...)
    After Mass we follow the English custom of singing the Marian Anthem, rather than a hymn / song.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Attached is a PDF of the "original" Veni Emmanuel setting found by Dr. Berry, as contained in the New Oxford Book of Carols (and Shorter New Oxford Book of Carols).

Please note that this particular edition is Copyright Oxford University Press (so far as I know), and I am posting it here only for educational/musicological purposes. In no wise am I advocating the illegal distribution of this copyright edition.
  • marajoymarajoy
    ^^^ this same version is also listed on CPDL (well, the Latin.)
    http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/7/78/Veni.veni.pdf
  • A choir member gave me a copy of the Advent CD recorded by the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles. It sure gave me lots of ideas for next year. Here is a link to the excellent CD:
    https://music.benedictinesofmary.org/content/advent-ephesus

This is the Order's website: http://benedictinesofmary.org/
    Thanked by 2donr Reval
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I have purchased several of the CDs from the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles ... and they are wonderful, highly recommended.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    One more Advent hymn suggestion, if I may. : )

How bright appears the Morning Star

This wasn't in the Advent section of my Anglican Hymnal, and yet it couldn't be more suited to the season.

How bright appears the Morning Star,
    with mercy beaming from afar;
    the host of heaven rejoices;
    O righteous Branch, O Jesse's Rod!
    Thou Son of Man and Son of God!
    We, too, will lift our voices:
    Jesus, Jesus!
    Holy, holy, yet most lowly,
    draw thou near us;
    great Emmanuel, come and hear us.

Though circled by the hosts on high,
    he deigned to cast a pitying eye
    upon his helpless creature;
    the whole creation's Head and Lord,
    by highest seraphim adored,
    assumed our very nature;
    Jesus, grant us,
    through thy merit, to inherit
    thy salvation;
    hear, O hear our supplication.

Rejoice, ye heavens; thou earth, reply;
    with praise, ye sinners, fill the sky,
    for this his Incarnation.
    Incarnate God, put forth thy power,
    ride on, ride on, great Conqueror,
    till all know thy salvation.
    Amen, amen!
    Alleluia, alleluia!
    Praise be given
    evermore, by earth and heaven.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. I'm not sure if the above is an Advent hymn now that I've investigated further. Looks like it might be Epiphany. I got faked out by the "Draw thou near us, great Emmanuel, come and hear us."

Hymnary.org lists it as Epiphany, but other websites list it as Advent. The score and history are here:

http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/PsH/357

• SalieriSalieri
    This is one of the great hymns that basically covers the whole first half the liturgical year from Advent to Palm Sunday.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for the clarification! This is a good one to have in the toolbox.

I just remembered that Morning Star Music (appropriately named!) has a number of organ variations on this hymn tune, by Jan Bender and Michael Burkhardt et al.
  • Advent 1
    Ad te levavi - Choral introits by Willan
    Lo! He comes, with clouds descending
    E'en so, Lord Jesus - Paul Manz (offertory)
    Communion proper by Columba Kelly
    Rejoice! Rejoice believers - Recessional

Advent II
    Populus Sion - Choral introits by Willan
    Prepare the way, O Zion
    Audivi Vocem - Tallis
    Communion proper - C. Kelly
    On Jordan's Bank - Recessional

Advent III
    Gaudete in Domino - Choral introit - Willan
    Savior of the nations, come
    Rejoice in the Lord, always - Anon.
    Communion proper - C. Kelly
    People, Look East - Recessional

Advent IV
    Rorate Caeli - Choral introit - Willan
    Come, thou long expected Jesus
    Ave Maria - Victoria
    Ecce Virgo
    O come, O come, Emmanuel (arranged by Carter) - Recessional
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm going to kvetch about a common practice at OCP, and if Bari's listening, I'd suggest that they check with me before doing stuff like this every three years when they crank out a new accompaniment edition to Heritage/BB/MI-
    They dropped Janet Sullivan's wonderful MARANATHA! COME LORD JESUS in BB14. I haven't had the time to analyse the whole hymnal contents, and I'll still defend it as a usable source, but as long as they lazily, purposefully keep Carey Landry,Marianne Misetich, Mike Lynch and other dessicated pigeon jerky taking space at the expense of both chant and really good contemporary, I'm gonna bust their chops for poor stewardship. Honestly, as Adam Bartlett and I have lamented in the boards so much, the economics of keeping these subscriptions is becoming robbery in that nothing worthwhile is being rotated in and we throw the Word away plus tens of K dollars annually for their laziness.
    E. Hassalo Ave in Portland needs a flash mob to confront Limb et al about this gross injustice and insult to our professionalism. As if we don't notice!
  • Julie, is that to the tune WIE SCHON LEUCHTET?
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, it is!
  • The text fits the music very well.